Reason for Existence by Richard Botelho

Reason for Existence

by Richard Botelho

An ambitious novel that falls short when it comes to delivering a connection to the characters. Although a case can be made for the protagonist, the concept of empathizing and even considering the secondary characters relevant is not possible. For example, Jenny is never developed to the point where we as readers get to care about her and understand her impact on the main character —it is more about lust than love.

Similarly, the dialogue becomes awkward as it drags on in an non-organic manner. Most of the time, it feels like you are reading essays rather than natural dialogue. The way most characters talk is similar, and no one has a clear voice that stands out. ( )
  DoctorFate | Nov 20, 2017 |
Reason for existence is a science fiction book about an alien with a mission to assure the stability and peace on earth, by protecting it from a specie that wants to destroy humanity as a show of dominance, in addition to another mission: gain an understanding of the human behavior and emotions especially love.

After reading this book I can say that:
- It's not a sci-fi packed with action, rather packed with a lot of philosophical subjects and themes. It represents an outside point of view of our problems from a stranger's perspective.
- It contains some high level vocabulary and complex terms that made me use the dictionary more than a couple times and for that I'm thankful.
-The story had so many details - especially political details - that keep on adding with each page, which makes it hard to follow sometimes, but with the suspense aura it sends you to, you become able to absorb them whether you want it or not.
- In general, I liked the concept, but I still doubt the story telling, it's a bit dull and needs "life"
However, to me , it’s the wise words that counts, and this book has its fair share of them.

P.S:
In chapter 1, there is this sentence " even Islam has good relations with the Chinese ", which doesn't make any sense, because Islam is referred to as a region or a group of people, but it's a religion that is not bound by a certain race or place, so even replacing it with Muslims won't be right , the right word should be Arabs. ( )
  dikkar | Jan 25, 2016 |

If you think one book can't blend UFO, secret organizations and nuclear weapon crisis without being dull and uninteresting? You aren't right. Richard Botelho created word full of fear and conspiracy theories.

Main character David Jordan is extraterrestrial, but have human appearance. David main goal is prevent the earth destruction by human and other hostile race. So he helping human solve these crisis themselves because "The world has become too complex for man to solve his own problems". In this quest David meets with various conspiracy theories authors, scientist and finds out that humans controlled by emotion, especially love.

"Reason for Existence" isn't action-packed book and most of the events are described in fragments from newspaper that are at the beginning of every chapter. I always think: books that predicts future are great. For example this book tells about
extremist chemical attack in France stadium that caused panic and now these ISIS terrorists attacks in France...

All in all "We all have our reason for existence". This is good book but not for everyone. ( )
  LinasK | Nov 21, 2015 |
I also received a copy of the book from the author for an honest review.

The book focused on the issue that might happen in the future. I find this very interesting because of the several description of the nature of us humans; the irony in the book. How we can make peace and start a war and such. This being a political fiction especially concerning the countries that will most likely start the war in the future make my curiosity boil in excitement. And it's quite overwhelming that if such other species exist, some want to destroy but still some have hopes for humanity. It was a great book for me because besides the fact that I'm a fan of Sci-fi, mystery, and politics, it also has a great impact for learning the nature of human is very simple yet complicated and the so-called aliens are the ones who was able to explain it, how we, humans, can change someone, how we can make them feel. It is really great. ( )
  Jewel_07 | Nov 12, 2015 |

This is a curious sci-fi novel blending extra-terrestrials, world politics and the all too real threat of biological warfare/nuclear war. Featuring an alien who ponders the existential questions of life - who is trying to save the world - all while attempting to understand the truth of human love creates an intriguing premise...but it didn't meet its potential. The novel read like a technical manual of theories/organizations with constant name/place dropping and random use of obscure vocabulary. As a (political) thriller, it was decent but it wasn't for me - perhaps others will enjoy it more that I did. ( )
  clear_tranquil | Oct 26, 2015 |

When David Jordan, an extraterrestrial human in appearance, agrees to help U.N. Secretary General Nicholas Straka resolve an escalating nuclear crisis, he also learns he must defuse a horrifying plot to exterminate humanity by a hostile race of beings who despise human culture. Somehow, he must thwart both crises before a worldwide intervention is launched by his superiors, destroying human innocence in the process. In Reason for Existence, David learns the origins of human conflict, the nature of secret societies, the true meaning of friendship, and the enduring qualities of love.

A plot to exterminate humans by a hostile group could be thwarted if extraterretrial human David Jacobs helps the U.N. in an escalating nuclear crisis.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Richard Botelho's book Reason for Existence was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Richard Botelho is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,760,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible