Private Dancer by Stephen Leather

Private Dancer (edition 2005)

by Stephen Leather

"'I don't know if it was love at first sight, but it was pretty close. She had the longest hair I'd ever seen, jet black and almost down to her waist. She had soft brown eyes that made my heart melt, long legs that just wouldn't quit and a figure to die for. She was naked except for a pair of black leather ankle boots with small chrome chains on the side. I think it was the boots that did it for me.' Thailand 1996. The Year Of The Rat. Pete, a young travel writer, wanders into a Bangkok go-go bar and meets the love of his life. Joy is the girl of his dreams: young, stunningly pretty, and one of the Zombie Bar's top-earning pole dancers. What follows is a roller-coaster ride of sex, drugs and deception, as Pete discovers that his very own private dancer is not all that she claims to be. And that far from being the girl of his dreams, Joy is his own personal nightmare. For many years Private Dancer was only available as a free download through my website. It became something of a cult classic and over five years was downloaded sixty thousand times from more than forty countries. I gleaned much of the information for the book sitting in a bar called Jool's in Sukhumvit Soi 4, just down the road from Bangkok's infamous Nana Plaza red light area. The owner, Big Dave, knew pretty much everything there is to know about Thailand, and he's the basis for the Big Ron character in the book. The bar is still there though under a new (slimmer) owner - Matt. The striking cover photograph, of a naked girl holding a cut-throat razor behind her back, was taken in Anglewitch Bar in Nana Plaza and features one of the bar's top showgirls. It took us ages to find the right girl. When I originally wrote the book, the fashion was for the girls to grow their hair long. But these days they trend to cut it short, make it curly, or dye it red or blonde. I sat with my friend Andrew Yates for hours outside Nana Plaza in search of the right girl, but it seemed as if the only ones with long straight hair were the ladyboys! My pal Paul Owen took the photograph. I borrowed the cut-throat razor from my barber and it took us almost an hour to get the shot right. I'm really pleased with the result - think it's one of my best covers. The book got great reviews from Bernard Trink at the Bangkok Post and the Pattaya Mail, both taking the view that Private Dancer should be required reading for all visitors to the Land of Smiles. Forewarned is forearmed! I think it works so well because it gives the story from so many viewpoints, including several Thai characters. Most books about the Thai bar scene only give the Westerners point of view."--… (more)
Member:cvedovini
Title:Private Dancer
Authors:Stephen Leather
Info:Monsoon Books Pte. Ltd. (2005), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:thailand, society, bangkok, bar girls

Private Dancer by Stephen Leather

A male coworker of mine loved this book and recommended it to me and I did not particularly like it. I don't think is was badly written, I just didn't like the characters. ( )
  midkid88 | Dec 8, 2018 |
I think the book was well enough written and kept my interest, but I won't read it again. There were several times where I had to stop because it was repeating stories and cycles. Then, I was very disappointed with the ending even though I was very glad that one of the characters finally took control of the situation. I know those who loved it and will recommend it to others who might. ( )
  midkid88 | Sep 12, 2014 |
Dawn's staff pick for 5/19/13. ( )
  AReCafe | May 23, 2014 |
Review "Because of all of its local wisdom, Private Dancer ought to be made available to every tourist at port of entry."_Bangkok Post, Thailand_ "The best book regarding relationships with bargirls that you can ever read. This should be compulsory reading for all first-timers to Thailand."—_Pattaya Mail, Thailand_ About the Author Stephen Leather is also the author of 20 thrillers (published by Hodder & Stoughton) that have been translated into more than a dozen languages, including The Tunnel Rats, The Solitary Man and, more recently, Soft Target. Two of his novels, The Bombmaker and The Stretch have been filmed for television in the UK and he has written for TV shows such as London's Burning and the BBC's Murder in Mind. He resides in Dublin, Ireland. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Fascinating story about love and obsession, told from multiple points of view. A English travel writer falls for a bar girl in Bangkok and ends up giving way too much, maybe it's destiny, maybe it's a curse, but the relationship proves to be destructive for all involved.
  emigre | Mar 22, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,199,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible