Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

How to Survive the Loss of a Love (1976)

by Peter McWilliams, Harold H. Bloomfield, Melba Colgrove

Discusses the variety of reactions that people experience because of the loss of a love and provides numerous recommendations for coping with pain and achieving comfort.

very helpful; everyone who has lost a loved one - through separation or other - should read this ( )
  Richj | Oct 29, 2018 |
155.9 COL
  FirstUUCleveLib | Mar 13, 2011 |
Great historical quotes provides a sense of universality.
  IRR | Aug 25, 2010 |
The absolute best book I've ever read for those recovering from a traumatic event -- the death of a loved one, a really bad break-up, the end of a dream. I received a copy after losing my first love and don't know what I would have done without it. This isn't a "traditional" self-help book -- it's not written like a novel. Each page contains one paragraph of information, and the facing page contains a short poem by Peter McWilliams. I don't know how to describe it other than to say it's very powerful -- and very life-changing. Even many years later, I can remember many of those poems. The book itself opens in stating the book is meant to be "used, not read." If you're going through a tough time, get it and use it. ( )
  writemeg | Nov 20, 2008 |
I LOVE this book. The poems are inspiring. ( )
  nehalemn | Dec 20, 2006 |

Peter McWilliamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bloomfield, Harold H.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Colgrove, Melbamain authorall editionsconfirmed
To All Good. To my Father, whose death when I was four, constituted a near overwhelming loss. To my Mother, Grandparents, and all those perceptive others - then and now - who help me to survive, heal and grow. To Jim Seppala, Sam and Nancy Manser, N. R. F. Maier, Mary Katherine Macdougall, Catherine Knight and To all those who refuse for long to remain deadened, indifferent or uncaring... choosing instead to come alive again.
Let's take a moment to view loss in a larger perspective.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,738,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible