Deadly Messengers by Susan May

Deadly Messengers

by Susan May

4119279,442 (4.35)5

I was looking for a good mystery-thriller book, and when this popped up as a suggested book on my Kindle, I grabbed it. It didn't disappoint! Action packed from start to end, it definitely kept me on my toes. I also like how Ms. May got into the murders relatively quickly, and to find the perpetrator and the reasons behind it all was something new and exciting to me (especially being in the healthcare field. Definitely gives you some food for thought...). Satisfying ending that tied up all loose ends.

And while I always like a good romance and love story, I thought the romantic subplot between the journalist and the cop felt a bit out of place. And perhaps it was just me, but something about the FMC's name nagged at me...likely not the author's fault, but it kept reminding me of one of the Kardashian sisters and I kept envisioning her as such.

Well written and I would look for other works by Ms. May in the future. ( )
  galian84 | Sep 16, 2017 |
It's always nice to open your email and find a free audiobook! That's what happened when I received Deadly Messengers, by Susan May. I met May via Goodreads.com and a co-author and book blogger, Mind Xing. Sadly, I wasn't able to download the book, but later, I was rewarded with the audio recording. Always nice!

So the thriller, Deadly Messengers is about a man set on revenge. Something tragic happened to him, causing him to lose someone he loved. His only way was to send a message to the world, using people and a powder called the Zombie Drug. Because of his determination, he used others to carry a message. One that tore apart families, friendships and everyone's sense of safety and security. How could the police stop him when the people who were committing the atrocities weren't in any way connected to him? Would they ever stop him, or would he continue to use strangers to carry out his deadly message...

*Audiobook review was supplied by author, Susan May
**For the full review, please follow: http://bit.ly/DeadlyMessengers ( )
  AReneeHunt | Oct 6, 2016 |
Deadly Messenger by Susan May
Don't usually read/listen to psycho thrillers but as the author gave me an audio version of this I thought I'd give it a try.
Toby Vincent should be home in bed with his girl. He was walking down a dark alley and was compelled to open the door...
The commands come from his body...he had to swing the axe. It would send a message, action is louder than words.
Kendal didn't spend a lot of time on her outside appearance. She has headaches...
She is 36 and is a freelance writer. She finds a news article about a murder who went into the local cafe and killed a few employees and a few patrons, with an axe.
Lance O'Grady was a detective on the case of the murders.
Kendal is able to interview eye witnesses and can't believe the man the cops had shot holding the axe had morphed into a different creature.
Benito works at the nursing home and he has commands to follow....
Kate had the answer to her problems, she had children to please the others....she goes on a rampage at the family outing...
Liked how the freelancer is the one to come with proof of how all the events are related to one another. Interesting things to learn about.
What I like about the book is the different angles of what happened and how they gather the clues from others and how their past plays a part in all this.
What I dislike is the gory details. I'm a romance reader and blogger.
I received this book from the author in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jun 23, 2016 |
Kendall is a freelance writer with no ambitions to be a “writer,” she just wanted to get paid and meet the daily/weekly/monthly financial obligations. Despite her distaste for all things violent, she is assigned by a reliably paying client to do an interview with a survivor of a mass murder attack that occurred in a nearby restaurant. The newspaper accounts of the death of several staff and customers by an ax wielding madman were enough to trigger memories Kendall had of her own mother being murdered. In pursuit of the dollar, off she goes to do an interview and becomes entangled with a series of grotesque murders.

Toby was a bank clerk and had no idea why he carried an axe into the restaurant and began killing people. He didn’t dwell on what he was doing except to keep count of how many he killed. For some reason, he needed to kill four. More was better, but after four dead the pressure inside his head to do more decreased. No one would know the reason because responding police killed Toby.

Benito worked as a cleaner in a senior citizen center. We do not know whether he liked to play with matches as a child, but they are his chosen instrument for lighting fires during the night in several places of the center. Given that many of the residents were not ambulatory or had disabilities such as blindness, Benito was fairly sure he could make his quota of four; more would be better but four was enough. He wasn’t sure why he was doing it and he didn’t plan on being consumed by the flames as well, but the mission was important.

Tripp and O’Grady are two detectives with two mass murders that have no connecting dots. It seems cliché that police hate the media. So when Kendall feels that she has to interview police investigators in order to balance her assigned article, the first big conflict plays out. They refuse to give information (expected), she continues her attempts (expected), and she even sees possibilities of a relationship with O’Grady that goes beyond the case (maybe expected). Things get more complicated when one of the people interviewed by Kendall gives her a report critical of the drug industry that suggests drug interactions may have triggered the violent crimes. She would like to explore this with the unhelpful detectives (expected).

As with other novels I have read by May, it is easy to identify some logical suspects. Readers are allowed to connect the dots faster than the police. But there are surprises. It is logical for readers to ask who or what the messengers are. This will probably surprise most readers. Others will be surprised by deaths that occur outside of the mass mayhem. ( )
  ajarn7086 | Jun 11, 2016 |
First of all I would like to thank the author for giving an advanced copy of this novel.

A very fast, gripping and exciting book! it keeps you guessing all the way to the end. What made three people who have ordinary lives do the unthinkable and kill 4 people? They seem to have one thing in common: the twisting of their necks and the phrase "Straight and true", what does it mean? Freelance journalist Kendall Jennings and detective Lance O'Grady are on the case and will be shocked when they are face with the answer.

A truly intelligent suspense/thriller novel! ( )
  dom76 | Jan 8, 2016 |

Freelancer Kendall Jennings writes fluff pieces for women’s magazines. When a horrific massacre occurs at Café Amaretto, she scores an exclusive interview with a survivor. Suddenly, she’s the go-to reporter for the crime.
Investigating veteran detective Lance O’Grady and his partner Trip are tasked with finalizing the open and shut case. Seven people are dead at the hands of an unprovoked killer wielding an axe. It seems simple.
   Then another mass killing occurs. This time, arson, and ten eldercare facility residents die in the blaze. Both killers die at the scene. The crimes have no motive, and Lance O’Grady is left wondering how evil can strike twice.
   Then it happens again. Even more shocking: a mother with a gun goes on a rampage at a family birthday party.
   The killers share one odd detail: none have a murderer’s profile. No history of violence, no connection to terrorists, no vendettas. Ordinary citizens suddenly became killers.
   Drawn deeper inside the crime investigation, Kendall finds herself not only clashing with O’Grady but also struggling with old demons. O’Grady resents Kendall’s involvement as her presence provokes memories of a personal tragedy.
   O’Grady and Kendall are caught up in a plan greater reaching than the crimes. They just don’t know it. Someone is sending a message. And unless they can decipher the meaning, very soon, many more will die.
   Deadly Messengers is a page-turning thriller taking readers into the minds of mass killers in all their disconcerting madness. It poses the question: Is there a killer lurking inside everyone? The answer could prove more frightening than the crimes.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Susan May's book Deadly Messengers was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Susan May is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,569,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible