Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys

Salt to the Sea

by Ruta Sepetys

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (sweetbug)
    sweetbug: Both heartbreaking stories of young men and women displaced by WWII.
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (lillibrary)
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (Anonymous user)
    A Night to Remember by Walter Lord (dara85)
    dara85: Sinking of the Titanic

English (87)  Spanish (1)  All (88)
Ran out of time :(
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
This was very good. A little slow to start, I couldn't put it down once the ball started to roll. I've always loved the Titanic and like many others never knew about the WG. Excuse me while I go read all the Wikipedia pages. But really, this was really emotional, especially at the end. I wish it had more of a final ending, rather than just "and then they lived and didn't die in the war", but I'm not complaining. While the multiple viewpoints may be confusing at first, they get much better as you go on! ( )
  erinla | Oct 31, 2017 |
Haunting, fast-paced and informative. Each chapter told in turns from the points of view of a deserting German soldier, pregnant Polish refugee, skilled nurse and a self-important wanna-be Nazi hero. These main characters, rounded out by a few lovely additions (the Shoe Poet, oh, my gosh) are all in motion, trying to escape the German and Russian advances into Prussia. They end up, after harrowing adventures, at the port and vie for passage on the Wilhelm Gustloff, a rescue ship. But the greatest maritime tragedy ensues. Don't miss this one. ( )
  quirkylibrarian | Oct 29, 2017 |
More like 3.5 stars. Really interesting topic on a little known event in WWII history. And overall good story telling. But I found the rapidly switching back and forth perspectives between 4 characters kind of abrupt--I think longer passages for each character with less switching would have been more effective. The characters themselves did not feel fleshed out enough. This may have been in part due to the perspective switching style, but partly also I think because they are often reduced to a stereotype (the sociopathic nazi) or a trite phrase, "the pretty nurse," "the beautiful knight" over and over. ( )
  Janellreads | Oct 18, 2017 |
Beautiful! I loved the characters! I loved the style! I loved the history. I loved the ending!
It is WW2 history that isn't as bleak and depressing as many other books are. It is sad, but this is a book that shows that humanity still existed during the chaos. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
Four out of five stars. I enjoyed most of this book. However some parts seemed unnecessary and a little slow but over all it was a nice quick read that kept me interested. I wish that there was more to the ending, it was a bit difficult to understand and I re-read it twice just to make sure I got the message on who Florian was reading the letter from. I thought it was a great YA read with nice use of language and context. Alfred was annoying, and after reading a few of his chapters it was refreshing to know that even the other soldiers thought so too. Sepetys really did a great job developing the characters, making you love some of them, feel sorry for some, feel sad for some and be annoyed with some.

We the survivors are not the true witnesses. The true witnesses, those in possession of the unspeakable truth, are the drowned, the dead, the disappeared. -Primo Levi
For my father.

My hero.
Guilt is a hunter.

The author of Between Shades of Gray returns to WWII in this epic novel that shines a light on one of the war's most devastating—yet unknown—tragedies.

In 1945, World War II is drawing to a close in East Prussia, and thousands of refugees are on a desperate trek toward freedom, almost all of them with something to hide. Among them are Joana, Emilia, and Florian, whose paths converge en route to the ship that promises salvation, the Wilhelm Gustloff. Forced by circumstance to unite, the three find their strength, courage, and trust in each other tested with each step closer toward safety.

Just when it seems freedom is within their grasp, tragedy strikes. Not country, nor culture, nor status matter as all ten thousand people aboard must fight for the same thing: survival.

Told in alternating points of view, and perfect for fans of Anthony Doerr's Pulitzer Prize-winning All the Light We Cannot See, Erik Larson's critically acclaimed #1 New York Times bestseller Dead Wake, and Elizabeth Wein's Printz Honor Book Code Name Verity, this masterful work of historical fiction is inspired by the real-life tragedy that was the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff--the greatest maritime disaster in history. As she did in Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys unearths a shockingly little-known casualty of a gruesome war, and proves that humanity can prevail, even in the darkest of hours.

Praise for BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY:

A Carnegie Medal Finalist
A William C. Morris Finalist
New York Times Bestseller
An International Bestseller

“Few books are beautifully written, fewer still are important; this novel is both.”--The Washington Post

* “A harrowing page-turner.”--Publishers Weekly, starred review

* “A gripping story.”--School Library Journal, starred review

* “Bitterly sad, fluidly written…Sepetys' flowing prose gently carries readers.”--Kirkus, starred review

* "Beautifully written and deeply felt…an important book that deserves the widest possible readership.”--Booklist, starred review

“Stalin deported and murdered millions, but he could not destroy the seeds of memory, compassion, and art that they left behind. From those seeds, Ruta Septeys has crafted a brilliant story of love and survival that will keep their memory alive for generations to come.” --Laurie Halse Anderson, bestselling author of Speak and Wintergirls

“In terrifying detail, Ruta Sepetys re-creates World War II coming of age all too timely today. Between Shades of Gray is a document long overdue.” --Richard Peck, Newbery Award–winning author of A Year Down Yonder

Between Shades of Gray is a story of astonishing force. I feel grateful for a writer like Ruta Sepetys who bravely tells the hard story of what happens to the innocent when world leaders and their minions choose hate and oppression. Beautiful and unforgettable.” --Susan Campbell Bartoletti, Newbery Honor–winning author of Hitler Youth

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 04 Aug 2015 03:02:02 -0400)

"As World War II draws to a close, refugees try to escape the war's final dangers, only to find themselves aboard a ship with a target on its hull"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible