Sail Away by Langston Hughes

Sail Away

by Langston Hughes

This book was a difficult one for me to read, but that may also be particularly because poetry is not my favorite genre to read. However this book did an excellent job of drawing me in anyway due to the pictures and language. Normally poetry can lose you sometimes in all of the large vocabulary that is hard to understand, but Hughes did an excellent job of eliminating that. Overall this book revolves around the central theme of the “sea” and the life that revolves around the sea.
Some things I liked about this book, is the multi-cultural touch to it. On each page (which represents a new poem) there is different cultures, races, and ethnicities displayed through the pictures. Some are reflective of jobs, while others reflect transportation in relation to the sea. For example it has a relation to the coast of Ireland and it’s people passing by an Indian merchantman.
Another thing I liked about this book was the pictures. Each of which was full of bold, bright colors that made it easy to suck the reader in. Bryan had different ways of displaying the sea in each page through textures, colors, and lines to keep it interesting.
One of my favorite poems in this book was called “F” and it just as the title, it as a simple easy read. The language in this poem is suitable for any age and easy to follow along with. For one of the first times I actually understood what the poem was talking about, which was nice for a change as I am not particularly fond of this genre! ( )
  taylornewsome | Oct 19, 2017 |
This poetry book contains an assortment of poems about native americans who live by the water during a more simpler time. One poem that stuck out the most to me was Fulfillment. This poem talks about two girls who go to the river one day and spend their time laughing in the water and enjoying the sunshine. It talks about the bright, beautiful sun that envelops the sky and warms the earth. The moral of this poem is to cherish the little things in life and appreciate what the earth has to offer. ( )
  ShannonKearns23 | Mar 30, 2017 |
I really enjoyed the illustrations in the picture book. The illustrations fit each poem and were colorful and vibrant. The poem, "Sea Calm" had an illustration of a mother and child sleeping and it appeared so still and beautiful. I think it really did a nice job depicting the poem. I also really liked how the poems and illustrations described other cultures and other places around the world. The poem "Seascape" described boats in the ocean passing by different places and other boats with different people on them. Also, the illustrations depicted the different cultures. I think the main idea of this book was to entertain the reader, the poems are all mainly about the ocean but don't have a real reason for or point to make, therefore I think the main message is to simply entertain. ( )
  shax1 | Oct 6, 2016 |
I liked the book "Sail Away". This book consists of many short poems about sailing. The overall theme of sailing connects these free verse poems together. The poems have rich descriptions that provide the reader with vivid imagery. Additionally, the illustrations are of a unique style and complement the poetry on each page. The big idea of this book is the vastness of the ocean.
  may_tay_kay | Apr 30, 2016 |
Summary:
This book of poems is about life and the sea. Mother Nature can be wild or calm. These poems show the beauty of nature whether glorious or ugly. These poems take you on an adventure while at sea.

Personal Reaction:
I felt that some of the poems in this book were great. Some on the other hand I didn't feel was appropriate for children. There is one poem where a sailor is smoking a cigarette, and another where the word "Negro" is used. I just don't feel this is suitable for children because they want to copy a lot of what they see and hear. I did however enjoyed Ashley Bryan's collage art. He used different colors of construction paper and cut out different shapes with scissors.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Students can create their own picture using different colors of construction paper and cutting out shapes.
2. Students can write a poem about life in the sea. They can choose whether they want it to rhyme or tell a story. ( )
  A.Fonville | Nov 15, 2015 |

A celebration of mermaids, wildernesses of waves, and the creatures of the deep through poems by Langston Hughes and cut-paper collage illustrations by multiple Coretta Scott King Award-winner Ashley Bryan.

Legacy Library: Langston Hughes

Langston Hughes has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Langston Hughes's legacy profile.

See Langston Hughes's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,420,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible