The Watch (Clarity) (Volume 1) by Anna…

The Watch (Clarity) (Volume 1)

by Anna Herlihy

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byRebeccaGransden

No tags.

This is really enjoyable. Lots of pace, with lively action set pieces; the whole thing is propelled along with a vibrant energy. The world built is well-rounded and solidly realised, the barren landscapes vividly described and clearly envisioned. There is a great physicality to the writing that is very effective and I was drawn into the story almost immediately.

The central character of Ren is youthful yet multilayered enough to care about. The intrigue of her backstory succeeds in piquing curiosity. I liked the dynamic in the relationships and ties she forms throughout the book, especially with relation to the main band that she finds herself bound to. The bad guys also deserve a mention; suitably menacing and distant they are a compelling variant on unreadable malevolence.

From early on it is apparent that this is a world in turmoil, and that the central focus of the main characters will be on how they navigate through a society that is disintegrating and perhaps viewing its last days. This traditional dystopian setting is an adequate backdrop for the interactions and tribulations experienced by Ren in the course of the story. There is also an attempt to grapple with the moral implications of living under the conditions of this troubled and broken society and any place religion or faith can have. The ideas for the different military factions and spiritual groups are introduced at an even pace making them easy to grasp and recall.

I was genuinely impressed by this. Some lovely descriptive passages and action that is engrossing. The characters were mostly fleshed out enough though perhaps on occasion not distinguishable as individuals to the extent needed. The sci fi elements are treated with an obvious love for the genre, with some of the concepts handled with a welcome poeticism. Reminded me of places of the TV series The 100, which I thought was quite cool! Overall really fun sci fi adventuring with enough depth to gain a little extra something from if you want to look for it.

3.5 out of 5 just because this is not what I'd usually read but I can imagine fans of this strand of the genre getting a great deal from this so I've rounded up with pleasure. ( )
  RebeccaGransden | Jul 15, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,245,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible