Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter, Book 4)…

Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter, Book 4) (edition 2006)

by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Member:stellaluna722
Title:Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter, Book 4)
Authors:Sherrilyn Kenyon
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2006), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages

Dance with the Devil by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Dance with the Devil
5 Stars

Synopsis:
Zarek has been isolated for so long he doesn't know how to play nice with others and many view him as insane. Astrid is the justice nymph assigned to pass judgment on him, but she is actually the only one who sees past his dark façade to his underlying need for truth and love.

Review:
A fantastic read!
Zarek is the epitome of the tortured hero and is my favorite Dark Hunter so far. His tragic childhood and traumatic life experience are so sad and heart-wrenching that I found myself crying all over my Kindle – I really hope the thing is waterproof. One aspect of Zarek’s characterization that I do find troubling is the implication that he is borderline inhuman due to the cruelty to which he has been subjected. However, the descriptions of his actions clearly indicate that he has an abundance of humanity even more so than many of those around him. Astrid is also a particularly likeable heroine and I loved that fact that she is able to "see" beyond Zarek’s surface antagonism to the soft and caring heart beneath. Their relationship is steamy and sensual but also sweet and touching.

The secondary characters are also engaging, particularly Sasha, whose spiteful banter with Zarek is simply hilarious, and Simi, who is one of the most adorable character’s I’ve ever encountered. Her comments about Artemis are just to die for!

As in the previous installments, the romance takes center stage but the side story involving Thanatos’s desire for revenge and Acheron’s need to protect Zarek even from himself are engaging and provide a good backdrop to the romance. I am slowly working my way through the books but the more I read about Acheron and his love/hate relationship with Artemis, the more excited I am about getting to his book.

The story is well-written and the dialogue is excellent. The dream sequences are cleverly incorporated into the main plot, which is often one of the most difficult things to do but is accomplished quite successfully here. I never found myself questioning my suspension of disbelief.

In sum, Kenyon’s Dark Hunter series is exceedingly entertaining and Dance with the Devil is a prime example. Although the books do not really need to be read in order, I do recommend it so as not to miss out on the early appearances of characters who feature in later installments. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Morire è cosa da tutti. E' vivere che è difficile

Bello il nuovo capitolo della saga Dark Hunter. Bello ed affascinante anche se, onestamente, sotto molti aspetti è stato come vivere in una sorta di deja vu... Solo a me Zarek è sembrato inquietantemente simile a Zsadist (Saga Confraternita del Pugnale Nero)?
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
This one I just LOVED!!! Maybe because I`m a sucker for the lone wolfs... And as always I freaking adore the author! The books are simply great :) ( )
  Wasabiishot | May 9, 2017 |
Zarek has had more than his fair share of hard knocks in his life, putting it mildly. Being born to a Roman slave, fathered by Roman royalty, Zarek never belonged, but he always knew his place...as a slave. Zarek went through things that no human being should have to endure and has a shell of armor around himself so thick that no one will ever be able to penetrate it. At least that's what he thinks. After nine hundred years living in the Alaskan wilderness, Zarek sets off to New Orleans only to return to Alaska knowing that he'll either die before he gets there, or die in the biting cold that he's gotten so used to. At least that's what he thinks...

Excellent paranormal romance. But skip the short story at the end; it's nothing special. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Again, another book that I really liked but which doesn't warrant any higher than a 3 star rating because of the quality.

I think, in this instance, Zarek was a little bit too tortured. And the thing with the circumstances under which he was banished, and the one about the circumstances under which Artemis made him a Dark-Hunter are riddled with plot holes which really affected the quality of the story.

Kenyon is disappointingly inconsistent. Sometimes her pacing is spot on and then other times the plot and pacing go off on one and it's jarring. It's a shame. So much potential for these books - but despite the faults, they're still extremely entertaining reads.

By the way, has anyone else picked up the parallels between this series and the Black Dagger Brotherhood Collection series? They share a lot of similarities ... ( )
  LydiaLeigh257 | Apr 29, 2015 |
For all my readers -- thank you so much for all the e-mails and wonderful support you have shown me and the series, especially the ladies of RBL, Sanctuary and HunterLegends. To Lo, Nick, Tasha and Brynna who keep me sane and who help run the loops and DH bbs. To Janet for the tremendous support you give and work you do. For my husband and boys who are always the highlight of my day and who remind me that happy-ever-afters really can happen. And especially for Kim and Nancy who not only allow me to explore the outer limits of the DH world, but who have also allowed me to share my universe with all of you. God bless and protect you all. Hugs!!
NEW ORLEANS

THE DAY AFTER MARDI GRAS

Zarek leaned back in his seat as the helicopter took off.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312984839, Mass Market Paperback)

Zarek's Point of View:

Dark-Hunter: A soulless guardian who stands between mankind and those who would see mankind destroyed. Yeah, right. The only part of that Code of Honor I got was eternity and solitude.

Insanity: A condition many say I suffer from after being alone for so long. But I don't suffer from my insanity-I enjoy every minute of it.

Trust: I can't trust anyone...not even myself. The only thing I trust in is my ability to do the wrong thing in any situation and to hurt anyone who gets in my way.

Truth: I endured a lifetime as a Roman slave, and 900 years as an exiled Dark-Hunter. Now I'm tired of enduring. I want the truth about what happened the night I was exiled-I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Astrid (Greek, meaning star): An exceptional woman who can see straight to the truth. Brave and strong, she is a point of light in the darkness. She touches me and I tremble. She smiles and my cold heart shatters.

Zarek: They say even the most damned man can be forgiven. I never believed that until the night Astrid opened her door to me and made this feral beast want to be human again. Made me want to love and be loved. But how can an ex-slave whose soul is owned by a Greek goddess ever dream of touching, let alone holding, a fiery star?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:10 -0400)

Exiled to Alaska for nine hundred years because of his bad attitude, Zarek the Dark-Hunter is given a second chance when the gods send Astrid, the sister to the Three Fates, to determine whether or not there is enough good in Zarek to make him worth saving.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,240,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible