Isolation by Mary Anna Evans

Isolation (2015)

by Mary Anna Evans

Series: Faye Longchamp Mystery (9)

This book was very difficult for me to get into. I did not like the book and probably will be giving it away. The plot was difficult for me to even pretend to enjoy.
  miss_vibey | Feb 15, 2016 |
This has all the makings for a good mystery.

A family torn apart by tragedy, isolation on a private island, toxic spills, murder, stalkers, and all of this might possibly be connected to a mysterious history. I was hooked already!

Being a fan of character driven stories, this didn’t disappoint.

There’s Faye Longchamp – Mantooth. She’s coping the only way she knows how after a terrible loss. She spends every waking minute and most nights prowling the island and doing random digs. Not herself at all. Being a professional archaeologist, she knows better. You need to investigate, do the math, before digging. I think she’s just trying to stay numb.

Her husband, Joe Wolf Mantooth, is such a gentle soul. He loves his wife and patiently waits for her to come around, knowing she needs time to grieve and heal. In the meantime, he takes care of their young son, Michael, making sure he’s happy and loved. When things go wiggy and bodies start adding up, he goes into alpha mode. I loved the gentle bear and the warrior spirit of Joe.

Joe’s father, Sly Mantooth, out after serving time in prison, shows up on their doorstep and they invite him to stay awhile. Faye hopes the two will stay out of her hair, and Joe’s looking to get reconnected with his father. I like Sly. He’s a diamond in the rough. He keeps his thoughts to himself, unless a pretty gal is around. Then the charmer, the ladies man, comes out to play. There was one particular lady I wanted him to get better acquainted with. I hoped the author would grant my wish.

Not just a murder mystery, there’s also the mystery of Faye’s ancestor. Some people want to prove her great-great-grandmother Cally was a murderer. Faye’s having none of it and launches her own investigation, keeping their relationship secret while she works to clear Cally’s name. Not so easy when you’re going back 150 years.

A strange toxic find on the island, chemical dumps in the gulf, murder and violent attacks. Could all of this be random events or do they all tie together? I couldn’t wait to find out.

Though this is the ninth book in the Faye Longchamp Mystery Series, it can easily be read as a stand alone. I’ve not the read the other books and with some short mentions of past events, had no trouble reading this first.

Good clean fun, with no sex scenes or foul language. ( )
  laura-thomas | Feb 2, 2016 |
Part of a series of mysteries whose heroine (Faye) is an archaeologist living on an isolated private island in Florida. Solving the murder of the owner of a nearby diner is the principle driving force of the book. There is a subplot that involves illegal chemical dumping on her island as well as a man who is researching a Civil War era family member (soldier) who was held captive in the South (he believes) by one of Faye's family members. There are many twists and turns but I found the motive of the eventual murderer to be pretty weak - thus not five stars. ( )
  muddyboy | Jan 16, 2016 |
This is a very good mystery/suspense book. Faye & Joe's marriage was in jeopardy for the first time ever. Through devastating trials, they each were suffering in their own way. would their love and marriage survive?

What was once a secluded, Peaceful island in the Florida panhandle, was now a crime scene...and not just one crime! Some of the locals had not lived there many years. What did anyone know about their lives before moving into the area?
Strangers are coming into the area and asking questions of Faye's ancestry she has always avoided and now must face.
Concluding the tale with a few unexpected twists, scenes and devastation, the reader is left to guess who really is at fault. Will Fayes lose even more than "Life" had taken from her already?

Joe had his own demons. Now was he going to lose what gift he had finally found and realized it for what it was?

The characters are well-defined and feel real. The scenes are clearly depicted and easily visualized. The Book Cover is perfect! The Title defines an important point of the story. Beware: This contains some strong "language" many may feel is offensive.

I enjoyed the novel and I was able to stay interested even until the last page. It was just slightly repetitive and overdone.

*I was sent an ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review, of which I have given. ( )
  LAWonder10 | Oct 1, 2015 |
***** SPOILER ALERT *****

I had a bad time with this one because Faye was so "unlike" Faye after the miscarriage of her 2nd child, a little girl. She is very unhappy, not playing with Michael much and not talking to Joe, at all. To add to her problems a good friend is killed, another is attacked and a visiting "northerner" is trying to find out things about Cally Stanton that Faye is afraid will be twisted to make Cally to appear a horrible person instead of the good woman that Faye has learned about through the years.

It takes fire and death and the threat of losing friends and Cally's history that finally bring Faye back into the present and her life with Michael and Joe. This is a powerful addition to the series and I ended up loving it, but I struggled a bit with the beginning when Faye was so distant from everyone and everything. ( )
  bookswoman | Sep 8, 2015 |

Mary Anna Evansprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cheung, Patrick HoiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Archaeologist Faye Longchamp-Mantooth has dug herself a deep hole and she can't make her way out of it. As she struggles to recover from a shattering personal loss, she sees that everyone she loves is trying to reach out to her. If only she could reach back. Instead she's out digging holes all over her home, the Florida island of Joyeuse. In their old plantation home, Joe Wolf Mantooth is surrounded by family--Faye, the wife he loves; their toddler son he adores; and his father, who hasn't gotten around to telling him how long he's been out of prison or how he got there--yet Joe has never felt so helpless or alone. Then a close friend at the local marina is brutally murdered, the first in a string of crimes against women that rocks Micco County. Joe, desperate to help Faye, realizes she is in danger from both her inner demons and someone who has breached the island's isolation. Local law and environmental officials say they want to help, but to Faye and Joe they feel more like invaders. A struggling Faye reaches back over a century into her family's history for clues. And all the while, danger snakes further into their lives, threatening the people they love, their cherished home, even the very ground--some of it poisoned--beneath their feet" --… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Mary Anna Evans's book Isolation was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Mary Anna Evans is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,733,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible