The Girl Without a Name by Sandra Block

The Girl Without a Name

by Sandra Block

English (10)  Italian (1)  All (11)
First novel I've read by Sandra Block and it definitely won't be my last one. Zoe was easy to like with her little flaws and driven oriented self. The ending was was definitely not what I suspected. ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |
This is as far as I know the first time I have read a book with a psychiatrist as the main characters and that was a nice change because Dr. Zoe Goldman isn't out to solve a crime or anything. Instead, she is trying to help a young African-American girl who is discovered wandering the streets with no memory of who she is. But it seems that nobody knows who the girl is and Zoe decides to take matters into her own hands to find out who the girl is.

I really liked that Zoe is a psychiatrist with ADHD and during the book, she is visiting her own psychiatrist that she has been seeing since she was young to discuss her life, her mother's death, and her ADHD. It's great to read about a character in a book that has the diagnosis ADHD that has to take medicine to function properly. I have not read the first book, but I had no problems with getting into the story and would very much like to read the first book if I get the chance to it. Another thing, the ending was quite a surprise. Somehow I was just as blindsided as Zoe about one character in the book and that was both pleasant and depressing (I liked the character) to read. I think I almost felt as betrayed as Zoe did. Sandra Block really manages to create a very likable character and then turn the story around and suddenly you feel just as sad and disgusted as Zoe did.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
A compact, fast-paced, and thoroughly satisfying mystery. Highly recommended for mystery fans. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Jul 15, 2017 |
This is the second book by the author and the second book of hers that I blew through in two days. I would say not as tricky as the first but most definitely still an excellent read. Just as in the first book, the mystery is really sound, pulling you along with clues steadily through the entire read and Zoe is still a really great main character. She completely rings true, like someone you probably already know. ( )
1 vote Kathl33n | Jun 24, 2017 |
The Girl Without a Name by Sandra Block is the second novel featuring Dr. Zoe Goldman, the protagonist from the highly acclaimed Little Black Lies. The Girl Without a Name picks up little over a year after the events of Little Black Lies and Zoe Goldman tries to put her life and her career back together.

"...We call her Jane, because she can't tell us her name.
Can't or won't, I'm not sure. She lies in a hospital bed, a strangely old expression upon her teenaged face. We don't know her age either. Twelve, fourteen maybe. A navy-blue hospital blanket sits across her knees in a neat square like a picnic blanket..."

Zoe Goldman is back on her rounds, the scar on her neck a reminder of what can happen in the psych ward. Though the circumstances that produced that moment were not likely to happen again. But Zoe is seeing a psychiatrist herself, the irony not escaping her. A shrink seeing a shrink. But the possibility of PTSD is strong and for now, she is a doctor on probation. Watched and double guessed.

Then a highly unusual case comes along. A young African American girl if found wandering the streets of Buffalo in a catatonic state. She is brought to the hospital for observation and days pass without anyone coming forward to claim her. Zoe's treatment may be the last hope at finding out who the girl is. Only when the girl comes to, the situation only gets stranger. When conventional treatment fails, Zoe takes into her own hands to find out who Jane Doe is. Piece by confusing piece she begins to find the puzzle behind the young girl. But her time is running out and she has very few people who believe in her. Is Zoe really finding out the truth or is it her own psychosis that is creating another obsession with a patient. An obsession that led to her own attack.

Dr. Zoe Goldman is not your normal detective. Mostly because she is not a detective. She is not out to solve a murder or a kidnapping or any of the sort. She is out to help her patient and in doing so she has to face the mysteries that come with dealing with the darker side of mankind. Only now Zoe is damaged. Hurt and betrayed. Not only by others but by her own self. By her emotions and her intellect. Two things she had the most confidence in. In The Girl Without a Name Goldman is confronted with the concept of throwaway children. Forgotten and let down by a system created to help them. Abandoned by their families and then by the rest of the world. Jane Doe is just another in a long line of missing and abused children. Only Jane is now in Zoe's hands and Dr. Goldman finds she cannot turn away.

There is also a really good mystery here. A puzzle of deceit and lies that has to be unraveled if there is any hope of saving Jane Doe. But our protagonist uses the highways and byways of the psyche to find her answers.

A terrific and interesting read. The character and storylines have grown from the debut novel and promise this to be a series not to be missed! ( )
  agarcia85257 | Dec 8, 2015 |

In what passes for an ordinary day in a psych ward, Dr. Zoe Goldman is stumped when a highly unusual case arrives. A young African American girl, found wandering the streets of Buffalo in a catatonic state, is brought in by police. No one has come forward to claim her, and all leads have been exhausted, so Zoe's treatment is the last hope to discover the girl's identity. When drugs prove ineffective and medical science seems to be failing, Zoe takes matters into her own hands to track down Jane Doe's family and piece together their checkered history. As she unearths their secrets, she finds that monsters hide where they are least expected. And now she must solve the mystery before it is too late. Because someone wants to make sure this young girl never remembers.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,449,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible