The Quiet Girl by Peter Hoeg

The Quiet Girl (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Peter Hoeg

Member:peterveen
Title:The Quiet Girl
Authors:Peter Hoeg
Info:Vintage (2008), Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Crime etc
Tags:thriller

The Quiet Girl by Peter Høeg (2006)

Recently added byLT_Ammar, agille37, Judy_Ryfinski, jedegeus, private library, LGKerr, DonnaB317, graemart, dgreenway

English (27)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (33)
I disliked this book and the only reason I gave it one star is that I loved this author's Smilla's Sense of Snow. To me this was a loopy, nonsensical wreck of a book and I'm so glad I borrowed from the library and didn't purchase it. Disappointing. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
Didn't finish it! Looking at the reviews I get the feeling you either love it or hate it. I am in the second group. The most annoying thing is that there is no proper timeline. And sometimes no indication at all if you are in the past or present. I had the feeling the time of the action changes even in one paragraph. Note: " I had the feeling" because you can not be sure. This book annoyed me mostly and made me nervous. I had to force myself to not throw it in a corner. I think only the fact at it is a library copy prevented me damaging it.
I guess this is some sort of modern art. Like an art installation you don't really get. ( )
  PeterNZ | May 11, 2015 |
Deserves more than 3 stars - very nearly four. I read the book in short bursts but not leaving too long between readings - just right as it is a bit repetitive. More head than heart but intriguing, mystic and ultimately inconclusive - which I like. Another reviewer called it "brittle intellectualism and dreamy philosophy" and that's a great description. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
This is a disappointing book from the author of "Smilla's Sense of Snow". One problem seems to be the translation- I found it weak. ( )
  sberson | Jun 9, 2013 |

Peter Høegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christensen, NadiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Краснова, ЕленаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
RouvaHerra oli virittänyt jokaisen ihmisen tiettyyn sävellajiin ja Kasper pystyi kuulemaan sen.
Information from the Lithuanian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
„ – Laimės, - tarė jis, - žmogui suteikia ne tiek mintis apie sukrapštytus pinigus ir sėkmingą veiklą, kiek žinojimas, ko galėjai sau leisti atsisakyti.“, „ tačiau suprato, abu suprato, jog įsileido vidun vėją, kurį nuraminti bus labai sunku.“, „ – Prašyti negalima, - atsakė jis. – Bent jau ne kitų natų. Gali nebent melsti, kad kiek įmanoma geriau sugrotum tas, kurias esi gavęs.“, „ – Didžius vyrus ir moteris, - tarė ji, - nuo kitų skyrė tai, kad viskam žlungant jie buvo pasirengę viską pastatyti ant vienos kortos. Neturėdami jokių garantijų, jog ji atneš sėkmę.“, „Tačiau aš taip pat sugadintas gyvenimo, man sunku priimti malonę, aš visada ieškau žvaigždutėmis pažymėtų pastabų, kokios jos bus šį kartą?“, „ – Man keturiasdešimt dveji. Ar žinai, kokią išvadą galiu padaryti apie visą ligšiolinį savo gyvenimą? Pragaras. Pragaras nėra konkreti vieta. Jis yra kilnojamas. Mes visi nešiojamės jį su savimi. Ir vos tik atsisakome savo įgimto gebėjimo užjausti, jis akimirksniu iššoka iš dėžutės.“, „ Ar vaikas dings, ar sugrįš. Ar gyvens, ar mirs. Galbūt iš esmės mes nieko ir negalime pakeisti. Tačiau su savo bejėgiškumu gali susitaikyti tik vienu atveju. Jei esi padaręs viską, kas buvo įmanoma.“
Translation of: Den stille pige

Set in Denmark in the here and now, The Quiet Girl centers around Kaspar Krone, a world-renowned circus clown with a deep love for the music of Johan Sebastian Bach, and an even deeper gambling debt. Wanted for tax evasion and on the verge of extradition, Krone is drafted into the service of a mysterious order of nuns who promise him reprieve from the international authorities in return for his help safeguarding a group of children with mystical abilities—abilities that Krone also shares. When one of the children goes missing, Krone sets off to find the young girl and bring her back, making a shocking series of discoveries along the way about her identity and the true intentions of his young wards. The result is a fast-paced, philosophical thriller blending social realism with the literary fantastic and pitting art and spirituality against corporate interests and nothing less than the will to war by the industrialized world. The Quiet Girl is a masterful, inventive novel that marks the triumphal return of one of the great writers of the international literary world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:21 -0400)

A mysterious order of nuns promises Kaspar Krone, a circus clown with a gambling debt and wanted for tax evasion, a reprieve from the authorities in exchange for his help in safeguarding children with mystical abilities--talents that he also shares.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,257,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible