The Curious Case of Miss Amelia Vernet by…

The Curious Case of Miss Amelia Vernet

by Dana Cameron

711,138,814 (3.5)None

Out of all of the stories and books in this series, this one had the closest vibe to Urban Fantasy (as opposed to anything else). Not much in the way of mystery, though, which is both surprising and sadening, considering it's a Sherlock Holmes story.

The story falls into the same trap that I've seen the television show Grimm fall into, though here from the opposite direction. Also a fictional direction, since Grimm lifts a character from real life to 'do this' to. And what am I referring to? One of the things you'll come across if you watch Grimm, maybe just one episode, I forget where exactly this pops up and it could be in the opening credits section. Well, there or elsewhere there is a brief image of Hitler turning into a werewolf (well, technically not a werewolf, but Grimm's version of a werewolf). Implying that, one of the most evil humans of all time, is actually 'something else.' Similarly, this story has Sherlock Holmes, one of the smartest fictional humans, being . . . something else (though here he is a weresnake).

Taking the best and worest humanity has to offer, and saying that they are actually shifters kind of leaves humanity just the middle, eh? Humans are just bland and boring with closed off minds, who are relatively easily lead astray. heh. It's just a glimpse, but I'm still more pissed off than I should be about Hitler-the-werewolf. I don't get the same pissed off vibe in turning Holmes into a shifter. Has a certain amount of cleverness and an interesting vibe to it. But still, it reminds me of the Hitler thing, and I'm back into pissed territory.

The story itself follows Amelia Vernet, a 'cousin' of Sherlock Holmes. Cousin as in also a shifter, though she's a werewolf. There's a third 'cousin' that seems to live in Baker Street, Mrs. . . . um . . I've right lost her name now, though she's the only character in the short stories who appears in more than one of the short stories (this one and the next one about burning rules). A fourth 'cousin' would be Holmes brother, Mycroft.

The mystery isn't much. Though the reason for why Holmes isn't acting all super quick mentally in this story gets explained. Also his reason for experimenting with drugs. All in there, in the short story. ( )
  Lexxi | Aug 17, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,499,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible