Balm of Gilead: A Healing Grace Novel by…

Balm of Gilead: A Healing Grace Novel

by Adina Senft

I really enjoyed reading this third installment in The Healing Grace series. I would recommend reading the first two books to know all the recurring characters but you can figure it out. I loved all the characters. These mainly follow Sarah Yoder and her trials but there are many other characters that you get to know and love. I received an ebook copy of this from netgalley for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jul 26, 2015 |
I just finished the third book in the Healing Grace series. It is the Balm of Gilead by Adina Senft. Sarah Yoder is a widow with two sons. Caleb is almost fifteen and has finished his schooling. Simon has spent the summer working on a dude ranch in Colorado. Sarah has been studying to be a Dokterfraa (herbal healer). Sarah cares for her neighbor, Henry Byler. Henry grew up Amish but left the community when he was eighteen. He returned to live in the house he inherited from an aunt and set up his pottery studio in the barn. Henry was lucky enough for his work to be noticed by D. W. Frith Company (or so he thinks).

Henry has proposed to Ginny Hochstetler. Ginny is former Mennonite and is the owner of Rose Arbor Inn (local bed and breakfast). Henry believes if he marries Ginny, he will be forever cutting his ties to the Amish church. Sarah (known for speaking the truth) believes Henry is just running away from God. While Henry is working on items for D.W. Frith’s Thanksgiving order, he is approached by a reality show. They want to feature him on a TNC (like our TLC) show Shunning Amish. They will pay Henry $50,000 for one show (and Ginny could really use the money). Henry, though, does not feel that he should do the show. He does not want to say anything bad about his family or friends. D.W. Frith insists that Henry has to do the show or they will terminate his contract. What a dilemma for Henry? Do the show and help his career and finance? Will Henry listen to his head or his heart?

Joe and Simon return from Colorado where they were working on a dude ranch. Both boys are happy to be home. Joe is thinking about becoming an herbalist like Sarah. Priscilla Mast (Joe’s girl) is happy he is home, but now Simon is taking notice of how grown up Priscilla is looking (now that Priscilla has given up on Simon). There is bound to be friction between the three.

Sarah is trying to ignore her feelings for Henry but it is hard when she sees him so often (especially when he needs healing help for his hands). Henry had hoped that by being engaged to Ginny, he would stop having feelings for Sarah. Only Henry can resolve this situation (he has to make a choice). Amanda Yoder is still single (she is only twenty-one), but Jesse Riehl catches her eye at a young event. Jesse is enjoying his rumspringa by owning and driving a car (even got a license). His parents, though, were not very happy and Jesse is not welcome at home. Is Jesse the right type of person for Amanda or will he be a bad influence?

I enjoyed reading the Balm of Gilead. In order to understand everything that is going on in the book, you really need to have read the first two books in the series. Adina Senft has a nice writing style. She engages the reader right from the first page and holds your attention to the last word. I give Balm of Gilead 5 out of 5 stars. The ending is just wonderful (and romantic).

I received a complimentary copy of Balm of Gilead from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The review and opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jul 21, 2015 |
As this third book opens the boys are on the road returning home from the Colorado ranch where they have spent the summer. Caleb is still limping but well on the way to recovery, thanks in part to Joe and his mom Sarah. Henry is engaged to Ginny, and still working on this pottery, but he is about to be tested on how much he is willing to do to sell his art.
The title refers to the Balm of Gilead, which is a healing balm, and is used in more than one way to help heal these people. I enjoyed reading about these characters, and they have become so real to me, I feel like part of their family.
This book is Sarah’s story and her use of God’s gifts of healing, and her using them for the good of others, including herself. I personally have read all three books, and they are equally good, and recommend you pick them up also you won’t be disappointed.

I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher FaithWords, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Jul 21, 2015 |
Title: Balm of Gilead (Healing Grace #3)
Author: Adina Senft
Pages: 320
Year: 2015
Publisher: FaithWords
My rating is 5 stars out of 5.
Each novel in the series, Herb of Grace, Keys of Heaven and the final one Balm of Gilead are stupendous! The main character is Sarah Yoder who is widowed when her husband is trampled by a bull he kept on their farm. Now Sarah is on a journey of healing and discovery of what gifts the Lord has given to her and how that impacts the family.
In the final book, Sarah continues to learn healing by using herbs. A man has moved into an Amish home that was bequeathed to him by his aunt and it is just over a small hill by Sarah’s home. The only problem is Henry had left the Amish ways behind years ago, but his needs put Sarah in his path repeatedly. The fun in reading the story is how each character discovers who they are which then must be followed by choosing to be Amish or become English.
While readers could read the novel by itself and for sure enjoy the tale, it is much more entertaining when read in sequence. One interesting point in the story was the telling of why shunning occurs and the fruit it hopes to produce. Following Sarah’s life through her character’s eyes and hearing her prayers, which included prayers of repentance, made her seem lifelike.
I also liked how Sarah’s garden reflected a unique design similar to quilts made by many people today. There is romance in the books, but also some suspense-filled moments that will grab your heart and will keep a nose in the book for many hours! I highly recommend audiences of all ages spend time reading the author’s story that she shares for us to enjoy as well as share with other people!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jul 20, 2015 |

"The third installment in the Healing Grace series finds young Amish widow Sarah Yoder facing her greatest challenge--herself. Sarah Yoder hasn't seen Henry Byler since he became engaged to an English woman, which is best for her peace of mind. Since Henry never joined the Amish church, any relationship but a neighborly one is impossible. So she stays busy with her family, welcoming her son back from the ranch he's been working on in Colorado, doing a little matchmaking for her sister-in-law, and making the teas and tinctures that heal the members of her church. Then Henry seeks her out, desperate for a balm for his sensitive hands before his success as a potter is jeopardized, and Sarah must call on every ounce of strength to deny the cry of her heart. Yet there is Someone who just might have a special cure in mind-a healing balm with the power to change everything. But with Henry's wedding only weeks away, is it already too late?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,409,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible