The Gray Lady of Long Branch: If walls could…

The Gray Lady of Long Branch: If walls could talk

by Maura Satchell

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Decent story of a family and their grand beach house. Enjoyable read with interesting links between events going on in the world and how it affected the lives of those within the walls of this grand Victorian home. ( )
  MagicLibrarian | Aug 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy from the publisher via Librarything to read and review.

The premise of the story interested me. A house telling the stories of the people who had stayed within her walls sounded very intriguing.

When I first started reading I didn’t get the idea of the story. They were all short stories that didn’t seem to have any connection, un til I realised that it was about world events and how these events affected the people that stayed at the holiday house.

The stories started to grow on me when John and Mary DiStefano bought the house and I could watch the family grow and read their stories interspersed with the stories of other holiday makers.

With mentions of war, baseball, race riots, Woodstock, music, TV, 9/11 and many more world events it makes this story a small history of the world and society.

Simply written this is an easy read and I did become emotionally attached to the DiStefano family and their highs and lows of life.

The twist at the end made it all much clearer. ( )
  Ronnie293 | Mar 19, 2017 |
I really tried, a few times to get into this book but really was not able to. ( )
  chutzpanit | Oct 6, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a truly excellent book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Gray Lady is a Victorian beach house in Long Branch, New Jersey and the chapters are about different occupants (owners) of the house through the years. The stories are told from the perspective of the house and what it could see and hear. Also included are historical events. A good read. ( )
  PoseyJ | Aug 8, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The concept of this book - an somewhat interconnected series of stories told from a vacation home's point of view - was interesting, but most of the stories had no real story elements other than character development, somewhat. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Dec 17, 2015 |
I was built in the 1910s in the fashionable west end of Long Branch.
Would you have fallen for me so easily if I'd not had a French accent?
Did you say coupons?
Where'd he find her, I wondered. A strip club?
And then Chuck has the BALLS to hand the President a quarter from his own pocket!

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Maura Satchell's book The Gray Lady of Long Branch was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Maura Satchell is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,742,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible