Pitifully Ugly by Robin Alexander

Pitifully Ugly

by Robin Alexander

193537,190 (3.88)None

It was cute and a nice way to spend a few relaxing hours. There was a lot of humor in the book and I enjoy that. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
Robin's fun new book 'The Summer of Discontent' led me to this one. If 'Summer' was fun in a farcical way, this is ROFL-funny.

I love Shannon, her vibrating legs, and her hilarious internal running monologue (with disparate voices for her brain and her body(!)) She's shy, introverted and anti-social but load her up with a few chugs of alcohol and she's totally badass. :)

Shannon was really well done. And the development of her character was what made the story so appealing. Hailey, on the other hand, was a bit uneven. For someone who is in sales, I found her insecurity and indecision hard to buy. Granted she had some heavy issues. But people who take up sales careers are never shy or ambivalent about what they want. Maybe the author should have assigned her a different profession. And one time, she was downright rude to Shannon for almost no reason at all, avoiding her and running away. This 'misunderstanding', if it can even be called that, is a common trope in fanfic but has no place in published work. Because of Hailey's hemming and hawing, the romance was really choppy--on and off and on and off and on...it made for lots of angst but not the really enjoyable kind.

Why the 5 stars...hmmm...i liked it too much to subtract even a half star. So maybe a quarter star. So its 4.75

BTW, this book reminded me of another online dating romance book called 'The Blind Side of Love v2' by Ingrid Diaz. Its also lol-funny and angsty as hell--one of my all time favorites. I always mention it because its still free for downloading. Get it while its still up. ( )
  Jemology | Dec 29, 2014 |
This was a really cute romance. Shannon, after yet another disastrous blind date set up by her sister (Kalen), decides to give online dating a try. Choosing the nickname "Pitifully Ugly," Shannon meets some really kooky people - and someone who intrigues her, but seems rather hesitant to meet. To complicate matters, Shannon finds herself falling for her new neighbor, Haley, although Haley is straight (or is she?). The characters are all really likable, and I found myself laughing out loud in several parts of the story. This book was an enjoyable way to spend a nice afternoon. ( )
  schatzi | Aug 8, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193521621X, Paperback)

Hot, sweet, sexy and funny. Shannon Brycen believes she is the epitome of pitifully ugly. Kalen, Shannon's overly social sister, is determined to play match-maker and find a special someone for her sister. After a disastrous date with one of Kalen's recent selections, Shannon decides to take her love life back into her own hands by joining the local lesbian cyber match-maker. Mid thirties, still single, house broken but rabid. If you're looking for something different then I'm your girl. Write me if you dare...P.U Maybe it wasn't the best idea to build her profile after consuming half a bottle of her favorite wine...or to use a picture of herself at the age of six - after she had cut her own hair - as her online profile photograph. Hiding behind the online persona of Pitifully Ugly, Shannon finds the courage to meet new women and face the disaster called dating. As her charming personality surfaces, Shannon's search for the perfect match may be closer than she realizes.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 17 Jul 2015 00:36:30 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,404,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible