Close Your Eyes by Michael Robotham

Close Your Eyes

by Michael Robotham

English (12)  German (2)  All (14)
A fantastic mystery that kept me guessing until the very end.
Excellent writing and believable characters.
Search this mystery out, it is worth it. ( )
  zmagic69 | Jun 15, 2018 |
"Close your Eyes" is the 8th book in the Joseph O'Loughlin series and this is the first I have read in this series. Joe O'Loughlin is a clinical psychologist with Parkinson who is estranged from his wife and two daughters. But they are still on friendly terms.

In this book, Joe is called in to help the police with a murder case where Milo Coleman a former student of his called the "Mindhunter” has used Joe's name to worm himself into the case and jeopardized the investigation by leaking details to the press. Joe also has some family problem when he learned that his estranged wife is in need of an operation...

For me when I read a book are there two things that are important; I need a good story, but I also need good human characters with flaws. The books I have the least chance of connecting to are those with very flat characters or characters that are superhuman, there is nothing they can't do. I like characters that are flawed, that shows weaknesses, that are not perfect. For me, one thing that really appealed with this story was that Joe O'Loughlin has Parkinson. And, he has a problematic home situation and a problem with saying no when the police ask for help. The case in the book is interesting, and it was nice to see it from the perspective of a clinical psychologist and not a police. The case in the book is interesting, and it was nice to see it from the perspective of a clinical psychologist and not a police. A mother and her daughter are found murdered and it seems that it has a connection to several attacks previous made on people. Now Joe and the police just have to find what lines the cases together,

Michael Robotham has created a very interesting character and this book is well written and I was so engrossed with the story that my plan to read the ending of the book, the last 20% of it the day after since it was late and I was tired, but I just couldn't stop reading and I did guess correctly (around the end) who the perpetrator was, but that didn't make the ending less nerve-racking and I'm not a crier when it comes to books, but the ending has me in bits with tears in my eyes.

Do I recommend this book? Oh yes, I recommend it but read from the beginning. I want to read from the beginning, but I also know what happens in book eight and that will make the previous seven books a bit sadder to read.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Michael Robotham's Joe O'Laughlin character really deserves a broader audience. He reminds me a lot of Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Deleware: both are psychologists who occasionally help the police, they use non-linear thinking to solve crimes, and they both have good 'partners' on the force with whom they usually team. Joe is a bit older, more reflective, in worse health, British, and with family challenges that set him apart, though.

In this most recent addition to his series, a mother and daughter are found murdered, and the crime is tied to a series of other attacks in the area. O'Laughlin is engaged and makes his usual type of contributions to the investigation, which are often discounted, challenged, or laughed at by the other investigators. In the meantime, his family life is undergoing changes and his Parkinson's disease is progressing. An arrest is eventually made, but Joe continues to plow ahead with his own investigation. The conclusion is a bit wild, but satisfactory.

The plot is solid, as is the dialogue, writing and pace. The character of O'Laughlin is what really sets Robotham's series apart. He's smart and effective, but he has lots of challenges and insecurities that make him a real three dimensional character. If you haven't read anything in this series as yet, I'd recommend going back to his earlier novels and starting there to get a fuller background on O'Laughlin. ( )
  gmmartz | Jun 21, 2016 |
Close Your Eyes is the newest - and 8th- book in Michael Robotham's Joseph O'Loughlin series.

O'Loughlin is a clinical psychologist who has worked with the police in the past as a consultant profiler. He has retired himself from that job, focusing instead on teaching, his daughters and his health as he copes with living with Parkinson's Disease.

When DS Cray calls him for help, his immediate response is no. Until she tells him that one of his past students has injected himself into a murder investigation with negative results. He's calling himself The Mindhunter, telling everyone O'Loughlin taught him everything he knows, and using Joe as a reference. It's not true and is enough to have Joe saying yes and agreeing to taking a look at the case - two murdered women. The killer has his own chapters - letting the reader know that he's watching the investigation as Joe begins to make progress......

I like Joe very much as a lead character. The way he thinks and his processes of deduction. But it his his personal life that rounds the character out, making him more 'real' to me. Things are always progressing, changing and evolving - his marriage difficulties, his mistakes and his interactions with his daughters as they navigate growing up. His oldest daughter, Charlie, plays a larger role in this novel. (And I must admit to wondering where Robotham would take things next - I found the ending quite surprising.) O'Loughlin's health concerns also set this character apart from many other crime leads. The Parkinson's is portrayed realistically. Every good lead character needs a sidekick. In this series, it's now retired police Detective Vincent Ruiz. He's tough, intelligent, loyal and brings an alternate view to the crimes being investigated.

Robotham has crafted another great plot. There are many suspects to choose from and Robotham keeps the reader guessing until the final pages for the 'whodunnit".

It's that blending of 'professional' and personal that make this series work for me. Can't wait for the next entry in this series. Robotham is one of my favourite authors - for me, he simply can't write a bad book. He just can't write fast enough for me! ( )
  Twink | May 9, 2016 |
My favorite Australian author, Michael Robotham returns following his sensational (2015) standalone, Life or Death, landing on my Top 10 Books of 2015, with CLOSE YOUR EYES (Joseph O'Loughlin #8).

A complex case, a former student, his side kick detective, brutal murders, a killer threatening and stalking his own family, possible love rekindled, plus more tragedy in store for our favorite psychologist, Joe and (Mr. Parkinson). His most emotional yet!

First, Robotham has the best dry humor, witty and sarcastic “down and dirty” one-liners, ever! "As smooth as silk" combining wit, family, drama, love, romance, domestic suspense, crime, detective, and psychological thriller in one page-turner. The King of “psychology, crime, and human dynamics."

Second, I always pre-order the audio, narrator Sean Barrett “IS” Joe O’Loughlin. The perfect voice for Joe. I have come to imagine him as the character. (Robotham, O’Loughin, and Barrett) what a collaboration! (Similar to US Connelly, Bosch, Welliver).

If you are not familiar with the series: Joseph O’Loughlin is a kindhearted psychologist with a flawed family life and a sense of dry humor as he struggles with “Mr. Parkinson” (early onset). O’Loughlin works beside Vincent Ruiz, a hard-drinking tough talking homicide detective. Lost (#2) and The Wreckage (#5) featuring Ruiz and O’Loughlin playing a minor role in each. The series is set in London, England.

Joe is getting close to retirement, while continuing to struggle with Parkinson’s Disease, taking a toll on his physical and mental state. He is delighted his ex-wife (Julianne) has invited him to move back into the house to spend the summer with her, Charlie, and Emma (his girls), before Charlie heads off for University. Julianne is having some upcoming surgery and he is helping out with girls. He has hopes they can work on their relationship—he would love nothing more than a reconciliation.

Disrupting his family time, he is called on a case. A brutal murder of a beautiful woman and college aged, daughter in a farmhouse near Bristol. Elizabeth (mother) was stabbed brutally, multiple times. The investigation leads into a sexual fetish of having sex in public. The detective wants to solve and close the case. As usual, the cops have no leads. Joe comes out of retirement to offer a psychologist viewpoint with retired side kick, detective Vincent Ruiz. Fans will enjoy catching up with the duo. More attacks and other murders, which may or may not be connected. A twist with a former student of Joe's, leaking information to the press. Lots of juicy scandal.

We hear from the evil twisted killer mixed in with some poignant personal drama with Joe. As he gets closer to the truth and the identity of the killer, Charlie becomes involved and other personal tragedies take front and center. Poor Joe. In a race against time, Joe is frantic, and fears for his girl--he has to get to them before the killer. Intense, fast-action, suspense! In the past, this has proved tragic and Joe has to ensure his family is safe.

Expertly plotted, gripping and unpredictable! Readers revisit some nostalgic emotional moments and scenes, from earlier times with the couple and family, before their marriage fell apart, and Mr. Parkinson came into their lives. Quite memorable—the love is still there to the present day, as they face together some pending health issues. He wants to be a good father and husband. He wants a second chance. Is it too late?

Charlie, Joe’s daughter (witty and strong), wants to become a forensic psychologist, with a strong desire to interject herself in Joe’s case (plus she is highly skilled). Joe's attempts to divert her; however, unsuccessful. She is independent and strong-willed. I enjoy Robotham’s writing (a long-time fan), his expertise of blending the darkness and light, the strong and weak. Michael Robotham, Michael Connelly (US), and Karin Slaughter (US) these three authors excel in this area: interweaving the two sides of the coin.

The author skillfully infuses crime and psychological subjects with the personal lives of his protagonists, creating a wide range of emotions from vulnerable to strong. His characters are human, flawed, relatable---in contrast to the rough exteriors and horrific crimes they face daily in their careers.

Somewhat of a cliffhanger. Readers will be anxiously, awaiting the next installment. Hoping we are going to continue to see more father/daughter action, and possibly the series working into more Charlie, with dad becoming more of consultant. (the way we have seen other popular series of this nature.) Joe has evolved in his character, and coming full circle. He has a lot of life yet, so hoping we will see many more series to follow.

The duo strongly reminds me of Michael Connelly’s father/daughter character: Bosch series: (Harry Bosh-LAPD detective, daughter-Maddie, and ex-wife Eleanor). More than you know, after you finish reading this installment. Robotham’s Joe O'Loughlin’s Charlie, has informed her father she is going into the field of forensics psychology. Similarly, Connelly’s Maddie, wants to be involved in forensics and detective work. Both highly intuitive young women.

Fans will be pleased with CLOSE YOUR EYES. With strong interweaving storylines, a book within a book. I recently read an online interview with the author, and he mentions while writing he has three words pinned next to his writing space: “Make Them Care.” He credits his own personal relationships with his daughter. This makes his work truly genuine-- you do care about the characters—you become invested in them—and why we keep coming back for more!

If you read Life or Death, sure it has to be difficult as an author to switch gears and go back to a series after such a powerful standalone. Never fear fans; a different book, powerful, moving--each unique. Fans, some major happenings here, so do not miss #8!

We can only hope in the US we will get a Michael Robotham Amazon Prime Series or TV series, based on Joseph O'Loughlin. Small or Big screen—just give us something. Can you image the cast? Definite binge-watch. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

BTW: I particularly liked the “going out for ice cream” analogy, instead of eating what’s in your own freezer. Those nasty cheating husbands . . .

From Publisher’s Weekly: All Crime Is Psychological: Michael Robotham Feb 19, 2016 “Close Your Eyes showcases O’Loughlin’s brilliance but also his vulnerability, revealing the two blind spots in his inventory—he cannot understand the woman he loves and he cannot analyze himself. His greatest strength is his abiding weakness, because truly believable heroes need a tragic flaw.” Read More

From Kirkus Reviews April 13, 2016 Jordan Foster has done a nice profile for Kirkus Reviews in the US. Interview with Michael Robotham and Close Your Eyes.

“I think at heart I’m a reluctant crime writer,” says Michael Robotham, the Australian-born Edgar Award-nominated author of 11 such crime novels. “I love the genre and I know that crime is necessary (you can’t have a crime novel without one), but my true passion is creating compelling characters with nuanced lives and emotional entanglements.” Read More.

JDCMustReadBooks ( )
  JudithDCollins | Apr 16, 2016 |
For all those victims of domestic violence - may we never close our eyes
My mother died with her head in another man's lap.

I close my eyes and feel my heart begin racing Someone is coming They're going to find me A mother and her teenage daughter are found murdered in a remote farmhouse, one defiled by multiple stab wounds and the other left lying like Sleeping Beauty waiting for her Prince. Reluctantly, clinical psychologist Joe O'Loughlin is drawn into the investigation when a former student, calling himself 'the Mindhunter', jeopardises the police inquiry by leaking details to the media and stirring up public anger. With no shortage of suspects and tempers beginning to fray, Joe discover links between these murders and a series of brutal attacks where his victims have been choked unconscious and had the letter 'A' carved into their foreheads. As the case becomes ever more complex, nothing is quite what it seems and soon Joe's fate, and that of those closest to him, become intertwined with a merciless, unpredictable killer ...

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 17 Jul 2015 02:12:03 -0400)

When a former student bungles the investigation of a mother-daughter double murder, clinical psychologist Joseph O'Loughlin discovers a link between the case and a series of escalating attacks.

Michael Robotham is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,406,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible