Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop

Daughter of the Blood

by Anne Bishop

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both about a young girl faced with adventures and obstacles.
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (MidnightSWolf)
    Cast in Courtlight by Michelle Sagara (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Gender and inter-relationship politics galore.
    Black Sun Rising by C. S. Friedman (noise)
    God Stalk by P. C. Hodgell (SunnySD)
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Jewels, jewels, jewels.
    To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts (SunnySD)
    Dragonclaw by Kate Forsyth (MidnightSWolf)
    Crystal Dragon by Sharon Lee (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Extraordinary world-building in both the Liaden Universe and the Realms - characters you'll want to revisit again and again.
    The Tower of Ravens by Kate Forsyth (MidnightSWolf)

Alright, peeps, I've been recommended this series often enough to get curious especially after reading Anne Bishop's excellent UF series. I also noticed that many of you complained that this blog doesn't review that much fantasy.

So, starting Black Jewels served a few purposes, plus I am listening to this on audio which allows me to work through my chores while going through book after book in this series.

First of all, the narrator is a very unfortunate choice for this type of book. John Sharian's voice is creepy and doesn't differentiate between characters much. All women sound bitchy, all men creep the hell out of me, especially when we are talking about a lot of men submitting to power hungry, twisted witches and in turn taking it out on little girls. There is a huge issue of paedophilia in this book. It's my warning to anyone who considers this topic as their personal trigger.

Daughter of The Blood is choke full of captivating characters whether they are good or bad guys. I actually noticed the same thing with Bishop in Written in Red. She writes such revolting villains, you want to turn back time and strangle them in their cradles. And her good characters and deliciously scary. They are not below revenge, and their revenge is usually savagely gruesome.

Plot wise I'm not repeating the synopsis, instead I have to talk about the good guys themselves.

Saetan is wonderful in his grumpiness, and both his sons are lethal and hate the witches they have to serve as slaves. Lucivar is more straightforward in his hatred, but Daemon is much more dangerous.

We are talking about very long lived species, so these men tend to be creative when they pay back for the torture they receive from the witches who held them captive.

Jaenelle who is the centrepiece of the whole book is a very young witch prophesied to be born centuries ago. Prophesied as Saetan's daughter of his soul and Daemon's future Queen, I add - so you can imagine the men's confusion and bewilderment when first they met Jaenelle who is seven, and by the end of the book, she is just twelve. They really don't know what to do. Add to it abuse Jaenelle is suffering without telling her friends what's going on, and she is a troubled and very fragile soul with immense power at her disposal.

Without coordinating their actions they are all trying to look after Jaenelle, but she lives in the area which is closed magically to Saetan, so he can only look after her when she comes to visit. Lucivar doesn't know who Jaenelle is and where she is from, and only Daemon by sheer luck gets sent to a household where Jaenelle lives, so he ends up closest to her.

At last, there are only two good female characters - Titian and her daughter Surreal, and it's Surreal who has been connected to Daemon for centuries, and ends up playing a huge role in saving Jaenelle.

I think I connected with Surreal the most. She is a whore and an assassin. In fact, her first profession is just a convenient way to work on her targets as an assassin, and her attitude, her background and her way of dealing with things made me cheer for her all the time.

There are multiple plots and a lot of horrible things happen (especially in the end), and while it's disturbing and very hard to stomach, it's worth your effort in the end because it's an excellent dark fantasy which reminded me of Jacqueline Carey's writing. If you like Carey, you'd most likely enjoy it.

Surprisingly, despite a lot of plot revolving around sex, there are no graphic sex scenes, and thanks God for that! Daughter of the Blood is creepy enough without it. Anyway, recommended. I'm on the third book now, and it's only getting better. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I read this book when I was much younger and I came away from it blown away by Bishop's world building. Reading it now I am still impressed with her world craft and I cannot wait to read the second book again. I did not remember the intensity of some of the plot lines and I wonder if parts of it were under appreciated because of my young age when I first read it. She sets the stage so well for a fulfilling series. I recently saw there is another Jeanelle series which I will likely pick up, I just needed to brush up on the black jewels world first. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
I got sucked so hard into this series that I ended up reading books two and three in an afternoon. I think that says something on its own. I gave up a whole day to this, rather than the hour or two I like to devote to reading.

It's funny, too, because the style of the series really annoys the heck out of me. I love the darkness of it -- and I don't mean that it's set in hell with demons and witches and whatever. The author really does deal with some incredibly dark issues, and that tends to fascinate me. Add into that the fact that the author is alarmingly good at making me laugh out loud at silly things.

I think the thing that gets me about things is how completely off-the-scale everything ends up being. I mean, the author sets her own scale and immediately broke it. And then broke it again. And then broke the broken break. And the time-spans involved! The author doesn't have anything against having someone be alive 50,000 years ago, or something happening 1,700 years ago, or whatever. It's unreal. I honestly wish she had taken a zero off of everything, just to make it a little more palatable.

Magic seems absolutely limitless; it really doesn't feel like there's any rules at all to Jaenelle's magic, like she's capable of absolutely anything.

The characters lack depth: the villains have nothing to redeem themselves, and there are hundreds if not thousands of people that fall into the category of totally, purely evil. The good guys are purely good, sometimes bumbling, often opinionated and full of knowing looks. I really think the only two characters that were fully developed were Jaenelle and Daemon, though by the end of book three I could add in Karla and Surreal.

And, and. Naming conventions. Really. Gah. Ugh. It's a truly amazing horde of hokey names: Saetan, Daemon, Lucivar, Cassandra, SaDiablo, Hayll, Hepsabah, Hekatah... the list goes on... and the rings of obedience? The hokey was nearly overpowering.

Yet, despite all that, I did enjoy this quite a bit. Your mileage may vary. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
Dayuuum! This was a good one, it has been a long while since i have found a fantasy that i enjoyed so much. To be completely honest with you, i have gotten mixed reviews about this series a while back, and never seemed to find the time to read it.

I am glad i did.

It had everything a good fantasy should have, very good world building, intricate social interactions, awesome use and abuse of magic, and most importantly - a wide array of characters, all of them individually multi-dimensional and strong.

There was a point in the book where our heroine was just a child, surrounded by so much evil that i thought- i don't like where this was going. Bishop proves that she can spin a tale like no other, and keep me glued to the pages till the early hours in the morning.

One of the more unusual aspects of this book is the completely corrupt, matriarchal society that harnesses and abuses, what seemed to be every male it encounters. Bishop didn't sugar coat it either. She covers a lot of material, emotional abuse, physical abuse and sexual abuse. Honestly, the graphic details of torture and degradation were somewhat unexpected.

This explains why there are such divided reviews about this series. The world Bishop lands us in is dark and twisted, with an innocent child as the main character, set to stand alone against many. The child had been given an opportunity to wield immense powers, to be used for either good or evil. All depending on who will help shape this child's mind as she grows into a young woman.

Queue the anti-heroes. The devil himself, and his two sons... they are not reformed bad-boys, they are men who have done, and still do some horrible things. We are left to wonder, just on witch side the coin will drop. I am a fan of the dark fantasy genre, and novels that are very much into the gray area. Stories that don't have clear lines of good or evil but stretch and twist our opinions of them, depending on the situation.

I liked this book. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
UAU. Verdadeiramente original e avassalador. Ler isto do ponto de vista masculino é muito marcante pois retrata uma sociedade de feiticeiras e raínhas que têm os seus consortes como joguetes para o seu prazer e uso.
O mundo é dominado por territórios com raínhas por território. O intrigante acaba por ser as joías que cada pessoa tem e o poder que essas joías lhe dão, pois existe uma joía de direito por progenitura e a joía conquistada após uma determinada cerimónia.
O livro inicia-se descrevendo uma sociedade completamente corrompida e manipulada pelas diferentes raínhas nos diferentes territórios e a revelação de que virá uma feiticeira que poderá ser encarada como salvação para uns e perda de dominância e poder para as raínhas actuais.
A leitura prendeu-me mais a partir do meio para a frente quando comecei a identificar-me mais com os personagens e a perceber os diferentes níveis de viagens e de poderes que as joías podem transmitir a cada indivíduo.
A personagem de Jaenelle é fantástica bem como todas que giram à volta dela e desperta a curiosidade para perceber o que se vai passar.

O que é muito surpreendente é a linguagem e descritivos por vezes brutais que esta fantasia utiliza e nos atira para realidades muito dolorosas da nossa sociedade real. ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
for Blair Boone and Charles de Lint
I am Tersa the Weaver, Tersa the Liar, Tersa the Fool.

In a world plagued by corruption and desperation, three extraordinary men share a vision of hope -- Witch, dreams made flesh, a queen that could save them all from themselves. But Witch isn't what anyone expected, and she may be the one in need of saving.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451456718, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne Bishop's debut novel, Daughter of the Blood, is like black coffee--strong, dark, and hard on delicate stomachs. Within the Blood (a race of magic-users), women rule and men serve, but tradition has been corrupted so that women enslave men, who seek to destroy their oppressors. Female children are violated before they can reach maturity; men are tortured and forced to satisfy witches' sexual appetites.

Bishop's child heroine, Jaenelle, is destined to rule the Blood, if she can reach adulthood. Her power is hidden; her family believes her mad. Saetan, High Lord of Hell and most powerful of the Blood males, becomes Jaenelle's surrogate father and teacher. He cannot protect her outside Hell, where he rules. She refuses to leave Terreille, risking herself to protect or heal other victims of violence. Can Daemon, Saetan's estranged son, keep her safe from the machinations of the evil High Priestess? Or will he lose his battle to control his destructive urges and endanger her?

Readers may find some aspects of Bishop's world confusing; not least that most of the good guys live in Hell. But her protagonists are compelling, sympathetic characters who overcome terrible adversity. If you like Anne Rice or Laurell K. Hamilton, try this one. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:50 -0400)

Three men, sworn enemies, vie for sway over the girl witch--a blue-eyed innocent--who is to rule over the Dark Kingdom, commencing a ruthless game of politics, magic, and betrayal, in which the weapons are love and hate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,887,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible