Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop

Daughter of the Blood

by Anne Bishop

Anne Bishop (22) Black Jewels (68) Black Jewels Trilogy (47) Book 1 (12) dark (26) dark fantasy (83) demons (20) ebook (15) fantasy (514) favorite (8) favorites (10) fiction (144) hell (11) high fantasy (9) jewels (9) magic (60) novel (10) own (23) paperback (15) read (29) romance (34) science fiction (13) series (41) sf (8) sff (26) speculative fiction (8) to-read (68) trilogy (14) unread (17) witches (60)
    Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both about a young girl faced with adventures and obstacles.
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (MidnightSWolf)
    Black Sun Rising by C. S. Friedman (noise)
    God Stalk by P. C. Hodgell (SunnySD)
    Cast in Courtlight by Michelle Sagara (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Gender and inter-relationship politics galore.
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Jewels, jewels, jewels.
    Crystal Dragon by Sharon Lee (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Extraordinary world-building in both the Liaden Universe and the Realms - characters you'll want to revisit again and again.
    Dragonclaw by Kate Forsyth (MidnightSWolf)
    To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts (SunnySD)
    The Tower of Ravens by Kate Forsyth (MidnightSWolf)

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Ordinarily, this audiobook would never have landed on my to-be-read pile, but after listening to (and loving) Anne Bishop’s THE OTHER series, I found myself in desperate need of more. It’s been a long time since I’ve read a High Fantasy novel, so don’t let my less than stellar review discourage you because quite frankly I probably don’t know jack about this genre. The world-building and character development continue to be where this author’s strengths lie; although at times I did struggle because of the sheer magnitude of it all. There’s also an inherent creepiness factor that made the story difficult to appreciate because my growing sense of horror distracted me from the writing. DAUGHTER OF THE BLOOD wasn’t bad per say, but it was something alright. I’m just not sure what exactly.

Stepping into a new-to-me Bishop universe was exhilarating and I enjoyed learning about the inner workings of THE BLACK JEWELS. Women are clearly the more powerful sex in this world with men having the urge to serve actually bread into them, and then of course there’s the ring of obedience—which, for the record, is exactly what it sounds like. So, right now you’re probably thinking “sweet, girl power”, right? Yeah, not so much. The males are obviously super unhappy with their lot in life, so to get even they play sick games with little girls before they become witch. I spent most of this audiobook thinking “yes this is really creepy, but there’s no way the author’s going to go there, right?” And… then she does.

I liked Jaenelle well-enough, and quite frankly, I’m tempted to continue listening to this series just to see her enact revenge because those uncles sure do deserve a good ass whooping. I loved how “other” she was; it’s clear early on that she’s no ordinary witch child. It was interesting to see her interact with her unusual group of friends; one moment she’s having tea with Saetan and the next she’s chatting up Surreal, the prostitute assassin. Her innocence and ignorance about her true nature was endearing, and I thought it was curious how she ran before she crawled craft-wise.

I’m still not entirely sure whether John Sharian’s narration helped contribute to this audiobook’s overall ick factor or if I would have felt the same way had I read this title instead. There are more male POVs than female ones, so it makes sense to use a male narrator, but I can’t help but wonder whether a woman’s voice in my ear would have lessened the blow. Mind you, I don’t think there’s any way you could possibly sugarcoat the fact that a bunch of ancient men are obsessed with a little girl. That point aside, I enjoyed Sharian’s delivery and wouldn’t hesitate to listen to him again in the future.

The next installments in this series have huge potential, and I can definitely see myself enjoying this trilogy going forward, but first I had to survive DAUGHTER OF THE BLOOD. This book is not for the faint of heart. ( )
  RabidReads | Jun 12, 2014 |
I got sucked so hard into this series that I ended up reading books two and three in an afternoon. I think that says something on its own. I gave up a whole day to this, rather than the hour or two I like to devote to reading.

It's funny, too, because the style of the series really annoys the heck out of me. I love the darkness of it -- and I don't mean that it's set in hell with demons and witches and whatever. The author really does deal with some incredibly dark issues, and that tends to fascinate me. Add into that the fact that the author is alarmingly good at making me laugh out loud at silly things.

I think the thing that gets me about things is how completely off-the-scale everything ends up being. I mean, the author sets her own scale and immediately broke it. And then broke it again. And then broke the broken break. And the time-spans involved! The author doesn't have anything against having someone be alive 50,000 years ago, or something happening 1,700 years ago, or whatever. It's unreal. I honestly wish she had taken a zero off of everything, just to make it a little more palatable.

Magic seems absolutely limitless; it really doesn't feel like there's any rules at all to Jaenelle's magic, like she's capable of absolutely anything.

The characters lack depth: the villains have nothing to redeem themselves, and there are hundreds if not thousands of people that fall into the category of totally, purely evil. The good guys are purely good, sometimes bumbling, often opinionated and full of knowing looks. I really think the only two characters that were fully developed were Jaenelle and Daemon, though by the end of book three I could add in Karla and Surreal.

And, and. Naming conventions. Really. Gah. Ugh. It's a truly amazing horde of hokey names: Saetan, Daemon, Lucivar, Cassandra, SaDiablo, Hayll, Hepsabah, Hekatah... the list goes on... and the rings of obedience? The hokey was nearly overpowering.

Yet, despite all that, I did enjoy this quite a bit. Your mileage may vary. ( )
  lyrrael | May 18, 2014 |
The graphic parts of the novel haunted me, I was not at all prepared and it would have probably been better to read more reviews to know what I was getting myself into. ( )
  newskepticx | Dec 18, 2013 |
phenomenal book, thrilling series, couldn't put it down. read the entire trilogy in a weekend and was sad there weren't more books to read in the series. a warning though that they are somewhat graphic and gory at times but well worth it. ( )
  njl145 | Oct 23, 2013 |
This has an interesting structure in that the central character is 7 and then 12 years old, and the story is told from the perspectives of the people who love and fear her. Jaenelle is a prophesised Witch more powerful than anyone living, who people hope will undo the millenia of corruption in the Blood courts. Males are enslaved by females, we never even see the non-Blooded peasantry, and there's a really disturbing "home for mentally ill girls". The undead lord of Hell becomes Jaenelle's mentor, and his son is her protector while waiting for her to grow old enough to form a court when he will petition to be her lover. The characters show many shades of black and grey, very few people are uncomplicatedly good (maybe the staff at the house, but they're powerless to protect her). Affaires, back stabbing, murder, stealing are all part of the society, but Jaenelle is a bright beacon of hope and a good influence on the witches and warlocks around her, even as she's losing her innocence to the all encompassing corruption. There's pedophilia and rape and torture, it's not a happy fun book, but there's some hope that better things will come. ( )
  silentq | Oct 2, 2013 |
for Blair Boone and Charles de Lint
I am Tersa the Weaver, Tersa the Liar, Tersa the Fool.

In a world plagued by corruption and desperation, three extraordinary men share a vision of hope -- Witch, dreams made flesh, a queen that could save them all from themselves. But Witch isn't what anyone expected, and she may be the one in need of saving.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451456718, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne Bishop's debut novel, Daughter of the Blood, is like black coffee--strong, dark, and hard on delicate stomachs. Within the Blood (a race of magic-users), women rule and men serve, but tradition has been corrupted so that women enslave men, who seek to destroy their oppressors. Female children are violated before they can reach maturity; men are tortured and forced to satisfy witches' sexual appetites.

Bishop's child heroine, Jaenelle, is destined to rule the Blood, if she can reach adulthood. Her power is hidden; her family believes her mad. Saetan, High Lord of Hell and most powerful of the Blood males, becomes Jaenelle's surrogate father and teacher. He cannot protect her outside Hell, where he rules. She refuses to leave Terreille, risking herself to protect or heal other victims of violence. Can Daemon, Saetan's estranged son, keep her safe from the machinations of the evil High Priestess? Or will he lose his battle to control his destructive urges and endanger her?

Readers may find some aspects of Bishop's world confusing; not least that most of the good guys live in Hell. But her protagonists are compelling, sympathetic characters who overcome terrible adversity. If you like Anne Rice or Laurell K. Hamilton, try this one. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:38 -0400)

Three men, sworn enemies, vie for sway over the girl witch--a blue-eyed innocent--who is to rule over the Dark Kingdom, commencing a ruthless game of politics, magic, and betrayal, in which the weapons are love and hate.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible