Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop

Daughter of the Blood

by Anne Bishop

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both about a young girl faced with adventures and obstacles.
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (MidnightSWolf)
    Cast in Courtlight by Michelle Sagara (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Gender and inter-relationship politics galore.
    Black Sun Rising by C. S. Friedman (noise)
    God Stalk by P. C. Hodgell (SunnySD)
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Jewels, jewels, jewels.
    To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts (SunnySD)
    Dragonclaw by Kate Forsyth (MidnightSWolf)
    Crystal Dragon by Sharon Lee (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Extraordinary world-building in both the Liaden Universe and the Realms - characters you'll want to revisit again and again.
    The Tower of Ravens by Kate Forsyth (MidnightSWolf)

Dayuuum! This was a good one, it has been a long while since i have found a fantasy that i enjoyed so much. To be completely honest with you, i have gotten mixed reviews about this series a while back, and never seemed to find the time to read it.

I am glad i did.

It had everything a good fantasy should have, very good world building, intricate social interactions, awesome use and abuse of magic, and most importantly - a wide array of characters, all of them individually multi-dimensional and strong.

There was a point in the book where our heroine was just a child, surrounded by so much evil that i thought- i don't like where this was going. Bishop proves that she can spin a tale like no other, and keep me glued to the pages till the early hours in the morning.

One of the more unusual aspects of this book is the completely corrupt, matriarchal society that harnesses and abuses, what seemed to be every male it encounters. Bishop didn't sugar coat it either. She covers a lot of material, emotional abuse, physical abuse and sexual abuse. Honestly, the graphic details of torture and degradation were somewhat unexpected.

This explains why there are such divided reviews about this series. The world Bishop lands us in is dark and twisted, with an innocent child as the main character, set to stand alone against many. The child had been given an opportunity to wield immense powers, to be used for either good or evil. All depending on who will help shape this child's mind as she grows into a young woman.

Queue the anti-heroes. The devil himself, and his two sons... they are not reformed bad-boys, they are men who have done, and still do some horrible things. We are left to wonder, just on witch side the coin will drop. I am a fan of the dark fantasy genre, and novels that are very much into the gray area. Stories that don't have clear lines of good or evil but stretch and twist our opinions of them, depending on the situation.

I liked this book. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
UAU. Verdadeiramente original e avassalador. Ler isto do ponto de vista masculino é muito marcante pois retrata uma sociedade de feiticeiras e raínhas que têm os seus consortes como joguetes para o seu prazer e uso.
O mundo é dominado por territórios com raínhas por território. O intrigante acaba por ser as joías que cada pessoa tem e o poder que essas joías lhe dão, pois existe uma joía de direito por progenitura e a joía conquistada após uma determinada cerimónia.
O livro inicia-se descrevendo uma sociedade completamente corrompida e manipulada pelas diferentes raínhas nos diferentes territórios e a revelação de que virá uma feiticeira que poderá ser encarada como salvação para uns e perda de dominância e poder para as raínhas actuais.
A leitura prendeu-me mais a partir do meio para a frente quando comecei a identificar-me mais com os personagens e a perceber os diferentes níveis de viagens e de poderes que as joías podem transmitir a cada indivíduo.
A personagem de Jaenelle é fantástica bem como todas que giram à volta dela e desperta a curiosidade para perceber o que se vai passar.

O que é muito surpreendente é a linguagem e descritivos por vezes brutais que esta fantasia utiliza e nos atira para realidades muito dolorosas da nossa sociedade real. ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop is the first book in her Black Jewels series and this is definitely not a gentle tale nor is it one for the squeamish as there are violated children, male sex slaves and witches with warped sexual appetites inhabiting these pages. It is however, a richly imagined, vividly drawn world peopled with powerful, spellbinding characters.

The author has woven an erotic story of prophecy and magic about a young girl, Jaenelle, who appears to be destined to be the one Witch Queen that could take control of this world and turn it away from the evil path it is currently on. The powerful Lord of Hell, Saetan, is both teacher and supporter but he cannot protect her in the living world. His estranged living sons, Daemon and Lucivar, who have endured many years of hardship and torture themselves, also want to protect and serve, but this young girl, the living myth who could be the saviour, has enchanted these men and they have a hard time controlling her, but protect her they must as there are many who do not wish this child to grow up.

I found the book a little confusing at the beginning, but once I got the characters straight and understood the dark principles of this world, I was drawn into this complex story. The characters who at first seemed very grim and cold, warmed as the story developed and by mid-book I was totally hooked by the story. This is the first book and it definitely seems to be setting the style and tone of the series, and believe me the tone is dark and sensual, with touches of corruption, abuse of power, and sexual depravity. [Daughter of the Blood] is a book that both shocks and seduces. I have fallen victim to it’s spell and now must continue on with the series. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | May 13, 2015 |
YA nonsense stuff. Weird eyes and odd names abound. The intro (or prologue) in first person didn't actually put me off at first: it was written competently enough. The third person narrative, oddly, did. Info dumps in strange, skewed paragraphs. Almost too much information all at once, with not a lot being said.

Also, why can't you call it a penis? "Organ." ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
I received a copy from Netgalley.

There are some books you know you were going to love from first page, for me this was one of those books. This is one of the darkest, most disturbing fantasy novels I have read in a long time and I absolutely loved it from start to finish. About a week after I got ,approval from Netgalley and started reading I found it in bookshop and got a paperback copy as well I loved it that much.

I couldn't recap the plot for the life of me. Densely layered and complex world building and a variety of even more complexed fleshed out characters, brilliantly dark and intense. This is not a comfortable read at all in some parts. Some parts of this book are nauseating in their violence and debauchery. There is an undercurrent of sexual tension that runs through out certain parts of the narrative that is as frightening and it is fascinating. Despite the darkness and uncomfortable themes in the book, the narrative is utterly absorbing and gripping.

My mind is blown completely and I can't even really think of the right words to put together to write a coherent review.

So a huge huge thanks to Netgalley and Quercus for approving my request to view this title. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
for Blair Boone and Charles de Lint
I am Tersa the Weaver, Tersa the Liar, Tersa the Fool.

In a world plagued by corruption and desperation, three extraordinary men share a vision of hope -- Witch, dreams made flesh, a queen that could save them all from themselves. But Witch isn't what anyone expected, and she may be the one in need of saving.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451456718, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne Bishop's debut novel, Daughter of the Blood, is like black coffee--strong, dark, and hard on delicate stomachs. Within the Blood (a race of magic-users), women rule and men serve, but tradition has been corrupted so that women enslave men, who seek to destroy their oppressors. Female children are violated before they can reach maturity; men are tortured and forced to satisfy witches' sexual appetites.

Bishop's child heroine, Jaenelle, is destined to rule the Blood, if she can reach adulthood. Her power is hidden; her family believes her mad. Saetan, High Lord of Hell and most powerful of the Blood males, becomes Jaenelle's surrogate father and teacher. He cannot protect her outside Hell, where he rules. She refuses to leave Terreille, risking herself to protect or heal other victims of violence. Can Daemon, Saetan's estranged son, keep her safe from the machinations of the evil High Priestess? Or will he lose his battle to control his destructive urges and endanger her?

Readers may find some aspects of Bishop's world confusing; not least that most of the good guys live in Hell. But her protagonists are compelling, sympathetic characters who overcome terrible adversity. If you like Anne Rice or Laurell K. Hamilton, try this one. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:50 -0400)

Three men, sworn enemies, vie for sway over the girl witch--a blue-eyed innocent--who is to rule over the Dark Kingdom, commencing a ruthless game of politics, magic, and betrayal, in which the weapons are love and hate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,680,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible