No Virgin Island: A Sabrina Salter Mystery…

No Virgin Island: A Sabrina Salter Mystery

by C. Michele Dorsey

Virgin or No Virgin? When I saw the cover and title of this new series, I just had to read it. Unfortunately though, it didn't quite live up to my expectations. LOL  I'm still trying to figure out why the title was called "No" Virgin Island, other then the series being set in the Virgin Islands; but what does "No" have to do with it?? There was nothing in the story that pertained to the title. Maybe I missed something there but if anyone figures that out let me know please. : )

The story itself is based on two friends, Sabrina and Henry, who leave their past messed-up lives behind and move to St. John in the Virgin Islands to manage exclusive rental properties. Then one of the guests is murdered and Sabrina's past is brought to the forefront again and she finds herself having to clear her name.

I think I expected more actual detecting by Sabrina and/or Henry but except for Sabrina searching the murdered guest's villa at the very beginning that was really it. The book is fairly short too so there wasn't a whole lot of time devoted to character development which is probably why I never really felt anything for any of them. Also, the section at the end, in the police station, is really so unbelievable, it's hilarious. I can't say much more then that without giving it away but if you read it, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

If there is a second book, I may read it to see if there is any growth in Dorsey's writing since this was her very first novel but it won't be at the top of my already over-extended TBR. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
This story starts with a woman finding a dead body when she comes to clean up a rental to get ready for the next renters. Sabrina Salter has fled to St. John in the US Virgin Islands after being acquitted of murdering her husband. Both were television personalities in the Boston area and the whole court case caused a media sensation that hasn't died down since the trial ended. She is constantly being vilified by a "legal expert" on one of the cable networks. Sabrina's first response it to leave and hope someone else discovers the body but decides that she has to report it.

She calls her partner Henry who contacts a lawyer turned bar owner named Neil which is a lucky thing since the police would like nothing better than to have Sabrina as their number one suspect. But Sabrina isn't the only one who could have killed the mysterious Carter Johnson. Why was he taking so many pictures of the villa owned by Mara, her husband Rory, and his twins? Why do Dierdre and Sam insist on staying in that villa despite being offered more perks at a better villa? What happened to the gun that next door neighbors Lyla and her Alzheimer's affected husband Evan kept at their home for protection?

This plot had a lot of twists and turns and was very engaging. I really liked Sabrina who just wanted to be left alone to quietly start her life over. Neil and Henry were also looking for new starts on St. John. But before Sabrina can have her peaceful life back, she has to find out who killed Carter Johnson. Unraveling the mystery will expose a lot of secrets.

I enjoyed this story, found it to be a quick read, and recommend it to other mystery lovers. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 18, 2015 |

Sabrina Salter traded a high-pressure job as a Boston meteorologist for life as an innkeeper on St. John. But storm clouds roll in when Sabrina finds Carter Johnson, her most attractive guest, tucked up in a hammock way past check-out time and he's not just dead to the world, he's just plain dead, with a bullet hole in his chest.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,391,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible