Empire Ascendant by Kameron Hurley

Empire Ascendant (2015)

by Kameron Hurley

4.5 stuff with word to come. ( )
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |
The sequel to 'The Mirror Empire.'
I found myself torn between saying, 'Don't read this one first; you'll just be confused' and saying, 'Go ahead and don't worry about the first one, you're going to be confused anyway.'

Don't get me wrong - I really, really like these books. But the scenarios Hurley gives us approach the complexity of the real world. The main world here is a big place, full of different countries, all of which have their own political situations and distinct, original cultures (not analogues of real-world societies).

But that main world's not the only world. There are also the mirror worlds - not just one, but many! - and due to impending disaster, invasions and crossovers are both imminent and ongoing. (The catch? You can't cross over unless your counterpart on the 'other side' is dead.) So there are different 'versions' of both countries and individual characters.

On top of all that, the power structures in all of these worlds depends on what satellite is ascendant at a certain time. (Each satellite imbues the people who are 'attuned' to it with 'magical' abilities.) This book takes place in the midst of a major shift - so even once you get a grasp on who's in charge in any certain place, it's pretty much guaranteed to be changing.

You will find the 'Dramatis Personae' useful. (I rarely do, but...)

With the impetus of certain death awaiting a world of the verge of apocalypse, citizens' only hope is to escape to a 'mirror' world. This requires the murder of those on the other side. Of course, those wishing not to be invaded and killed are bound to fight back. There are plenty of people who will make desperate back-room deals, leaders who will give ruthless orders, and others who will simply take advantage of instability for their own gain. Pretty much no one at all here is a nice person. Survival requires a vicious edge. And plenty of people will die.

Recommended for fans of political-intrigue-driven fantasy who are up for a challenge.

Many thanks to Angry Robot and NetGalley for the opportunity to read. As always, my opinions are solely my own.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
My review of this book is part of a multi-book review at http://popcornreads.com/?p=8624. Enjoy! ( )
  PopcornReads | Nov 3, 2015 |

Loyalties are tested when worlds collide…

Every two thousand years, the dark star Oma appears in the sky, bringing with it a tide of death and destruction. And those who survive must contend with friends and enemies newly imbued with violent powers. The kingdom of Saiduan already lies in ruin, decimated by invaders from another world who share the faces of those they seek to destroy.

Now the nation of Dhai is under siege by the same force. Their only hope for survival lies in the hands of an illegitimate ruler and a scullery maid with a powerful – but unpredictable –magic. As the foreign Empire spreads across the world like a disease, one of their former allies takes up her Empress’s sword again to unseat them, and two enslaved scholars begin a treacherous journey home with a long-lost secret that they hope is the key to the Empire’s undoing.

But when the enemy shares your own face, who can be trusted?

In this devastating sequel to The Mirror Empire, Kameron Hurley transports us back to a land of blood mages and sentient plants, dark magic, and warfare on a scale that spans worlds.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 17 Jul 2015 19:28:20 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,065,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible