Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Naked Came the Phoenix: A Serial Novel by…

Naked Came the Phoenix: A Serial Novel (2001)

by Marcia Talley (Editor)

Other authors: Nevada Barr (Contributor), Mary Jane Clark (Contributor), Diana Gabaldon (Contributor), J. A. Jance (Contributor), Faye Kellerman (Contributor)8 more, Laurie R. King (Contributor), Val McDermid (Contributor), Perri O'Shaughnessy (Contributor), Anne Perry (Contributor), Nancy Pickard (Contributor), JD Robb (Contributor), Lisa Scottoline (Contributor), Marcia Tally (Contributor)

263663,729 (3)3

This is a fun book written by an all-star cast. Many years ago I read "The Floating Admiral" which introduced the concept of a serial mystery, and I was happy to see this format addressed by many of my favorite writers. It's a quick read, and a chance to see some authors in a different light. Good for a rainy Saturday read. ( )
  Spencer28 | Jan 1, 2017 |
Audiobook - Good - for the most part the book came together well considering it was written by 13 different authors. ( )
  Fernandame | Aug 26, 2010 |
Great 'serial novel' mystery! Must get more Naked books. Fantastic concept, each author writes a chapter in a mystery, building on the previous authors. Delightful, almost seamless, I loved it! Would never have read this if Diana Gabaldon hadn't been one of the authors. ( )
  love2laf | Jun 3, 2010 |
Sometimes, when a book has been in my TBR pile for a long time, I kick myself for waiting so long to read it. I've had Naked Came the Phoenix for 5 years, and as far as I'm concerned, I might as well have left it in the TBR pile for another 5.

Naked Came the Phoenix is a serial novel--each author writes one chapter, building on what went before, but without collaborating with the other authors. Reading the book with that in mind is the only way to enjoy it. It starts out with senator's wife Caroline Blessing and her ambitious mother going to a spa owned by an old acquaintance of her mother's. The spa is populated with a variety of the rich and famous--an aging rock star, a young supermodel and her manager, a famous movie star, etc. Then the owner of the spa is killed, and in true Agatha Christie fashion, it seems everyone has a potential motive.

I'd been warned that the story started slow, then picked up with the second chapter, written by J. D. Robb. I took this with a grain of salt, since it came from Nora fans, but found it to be absolutely true. The first chapter was excruciatingly dull. The second chapter was, indeed, more lively, and the characters developed actual personalities. But that faded away, as subsequent chapters focused more on introducing new plot twists and all too often either ignoring or contradicting what happened in previous chapters.

As a mystery, it falls flat because of the contradictions--for example, several characters' ages seemed to change from chapter to chapter, a real problem because age was a clue to one of the mystery threads. Another one was the disposition of the spa--in one chapter, a character had purchased enough shares in the company to be the owner anyway, and in the next chapter, it became a matter of inheritance instead.

But what was fun was looking at it from outside the story, imagining the authors rubbing their hands in glee, saying "let's see what you do with this!" while scrambling to deal with the twists the previous authors had handed them.

I bought Naked Came the Phoenix as soon as it came out, because I'm a fan of two of the authors: J. D. Robb and Diana Gabaldon. I've since become a fan of Laurie R. King as well, so I'd had, if not high hopes for the book, at least higher hopes. Still, it completes three author's collections (I'm pretty sure I have all of King's books--the paperbacks, at least), and the purchase did benefit breast cancer research, so I'm not sorry I bought it. ( )
  Darla | Dec 1, 2008 |
Interesting concept, each author writes a chapter and the passes it on. It was enjoyable. ( )
  gerleliz | Jun 1, 2007 |

Pickard, NancyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robb, JDContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scottoline, LisaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tally, MarciaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Each chapter written by a different author.

Chapter 1 by Nevada Barr
Chapter 2 by Nora Roberts, credited as J. D. Robb
Chapter 3 by Nancy Pickard
Chapter 4 by Lisa Scottoline
Chapter 5 by Perri O'Shaughnessy, pen name of Mary O'Shaughnessy and Pam O'Shaughnessy
Chapter 6 by J. A. Jance
Chapter 7 by Faye Kellerman
Chapter 8 by Mary Jane Clark
Chapter 9 by Marcia Talley
Chapter 10 by Anne Perry
Chapter 11 by Diana Gabaldon
Chapter 12 by Val McDermid
Chapter 13 by Laurie R. King

An all-star lineup of 13 women mystery authors has produced one madcap, murderous tale in the same serial fashion as Naked Came the Manatee (1996). To some extent, position determines each contributor's role, but each author has ample opportunity to display her unique talents. Nevada Barr, who leads off, deserves credit for introducing heroine Caroline Blessing; her surprising mother, Hilda Finch; and several more of the zany inhabitants of Phoenix Spa, snuggled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. J.D. Robb, in the number two spot, wastes no time shifting the plot into gear with the murder of the spa's flamboyant owner, Claudia de Vries. Those who follow (Nancy Pickard, Lisa Scottoline, Perri O'Shaughnessy, J.A. Jance, Faye Kellerman, Mary Jane Clark, Marcia Talley, Anne Perry, Diana Gabaldon and Val McDermid) each get a crack at muddying the waters or putting a new spin on an already dizzy character or in some cases, adding a new victim to the growing pile. Lucky 13 Laurie King dazzles by weaving a prettily finished quilt from the motley patches created by her comrades. Readers will relish the resulting comic soap-opera murder mystery, taking especial pleasure in watching these pros deftly recast a scene, a clue or a character to keep the story rollicking along. (Aug. 13)Forecast: Together these women command a huge fan base, and if enough of them are willing to promote, this collaborative effort could rack up strong sales.
After her first night at the Phoenix Helath Spa, Caroline Blessing wakes to find the gurest in turmoil afer the spa's owner has been murdered. A serial novel written in turn by Nevada Barr, J.D. Robb, Nancy Pickard, Lisa Scottoline, Perri O'Shaughnessy, J.A. Jance, Faye Kellerman, Mary Jane Clark, Marcia Talley, Anne Perry, Diana Gabaldon, Val McDermid and Laurie King.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312251947, Hardcover)

The promise of discretion and pampering-and a long-overdue reconciliation with her mother-draws Caroline Blessing, the young wife of a newly-elected Congressman, to the fancy Phoenix Spa. But after her first night in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, Caroline wakes to find the rich and famous guests in turmoil and under suspicion: the spa's flamboyant and ambitious owner has been murdered. As the secrets come out-and the body count rises, can Caroline keep herself from becoming the next victim?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:31 -0400)

"The promise of discretion and pampering - and a long-overdue reconciliation with her mother - draws Caroline Blessing, the young wife of a newly elected congressman, to the fancy Phoenix Spa. But after her first night in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, Caroline wakes to find the rich and famous guests in turmoil and under suspicion: the spa's flamboyant and ambitious owner has been murdered. As the secrets come out - and the body count rises - can Caroline keep herself from becoming the next victim?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,460,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible