Kill the Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky

Kill the Boy Band

by Goldy Moldavsky

1197101,247 (3.69)3

They never meant for things to go as far as they did. Narrated by a teen girl whose real name you never get to know (she changes them as she introduces herself to others as characters from 80s movies such as Diane Court from Say Anything) this book starts off with a group of four teen girls who have kidnapped the least liked of the most popular boy band in the world, The Ruperts. The Ruperts were formed when they all appeared as contestants on the show So You Think the British Don't Have Talent? One of the judges noticed all the Ruperts signs in the audience and thought the four of them should form a band together to finish out the competition. So Rupert Lemon (who did an opera jazz song), Rupert Kirke (who did something on an acoustic guitar), Rupert Xavier (who combined singing with modeling), and Rupert Pierpont (the juggler) all got together and formed The Ruperts and won the contest and were an overnight success.

What got the girls in the mess they are in now is that The Ruperts decided to do a show called The Ruperts Learn About Thanksgiving! in New York City where the four girls, Erin, the gorgeous boss (who likes Rupert L.), Isobel the commanding crazy one with the all the info on the band and a website dedicated to them (who likes Rupert X) , and Apple (who likes Rupert P), who is overweight and whose parents have a lot of money, live. Diane likes Rupert K. The girls desperately want tickets to the show. Apple's maid gets them a room since they aren't adults and can't get it for themselves, at the hotel the boys are staying at. When Apple goes out to get ice she spots Rupert P and she tackles him and brings him back to the room. They immediately tie him up with stockings and blindfold him.

Diane wants to do the right thing and untie Rupert P and let him go before they get into the kind of trouble that leads to jail. But will she be able to beat the peer pressure beating down on her by her friends who are growing crazier by the second and taking her with them down a demented path that will go where you least expect it to? This book explores the idea of boy bands and the good and evil that they inspire in their followers in a darkly humorous way. I really loved this book and its originality and crazy ideas. I highly recommend reading it. ( )
  nicolewbrown | Jun 26, 2017 |
Oh my, this book was dark, sadistic and funny. As you read this tale of the bizarre, you wonder, how are they going to get out of this, then the murderous tale takes a new twist. The reviews for this book are over the place from abject hate to fabulous. I read is as part of my book club otherwise I would gave overlooked this one. I don't recommend it for middle school reading due to nature situations, language and the fact that it can destroy the fun we have idolizing our singing heroes. That's not a bad thing us it, until it goes way too far. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Narrated by Barrett Wilbert Weed. Oh, what snarky bitches! Weed's performance is terrific, portraying teen girls in the throes of fandom while bogged in extraordinary circumstances. Every nuance, stressed syllable, sigh and laugh is on point, creating vivid characteristics that listeners may well recognize from their own social circles. All at once the book skewers and venerates fandom and in Weed's voice we can appreciate both sides. Lib notes: language, sexual references. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Oct 4, 2016 |
A very original story with lots of laugh out loud moments and dark humor. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Apr 24, 2016 |
Lots of silly fun, but, once again, I must remind the world that it's "all right" not "alright". ( )
  BillieBook | Mar 1, 2016 |

Four fan-girls of The Ruperts sneak away to a hotel in Manhattan to see their favorite boy band, but when one of them literally drags Rupert Pierpont to their room and they tie him up, things get complicated--and when Rupert is killed things go from bad to worse.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,578,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible