A Birthday for Frances by Russell Hoban

A Birthday for Frances (1969)

by Russell Hoban, Lillian Hoban (Illustrator)

Series: Frances (4)

One of the best children's books. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I enjoyed the book “A Birthday For Frances” by Russell Hoban. I believe that the characters, the illustrations and the writing contribute to this. Frances is the main character. In the main story she has an imaginary friend and discusses what it is like to have a little sister you have to share with. I believe that Frances’ character development is extremely important because it allows the reader to understand how she feels as the big sister. Additionally, I enjoyed the illustrations. I liked that that the characters were shown as bears in this story, even though it never specifies that in the text. Lastly, the format of the song “Happy Birthday” is used throughout the story to show how Frances is feeling. I think that this is a cool, creative way to incorporate a familiar song into a book and keep the plot going. The message of this book is that it is good to accept apologies and share with your siblings. This is when Gloria wishes that Frances would stop being mad about losing the stand toys, and when Frances gives Gloria the Chompo Bar.
  may_tay_kay | Feb 22, 2016 |
This book is about Frances having to exert self control and not eat her sister's birthday gift, a chompo bar. Frances has to spend her allowances on this gift, and in the end sings her sister happy birthday and lets her eat the whole candy bar. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Sep 21, 2014 |
A Birthday for Frances is a good story for youngsters to teach them about giving and thinking of others. It comes complete with original poetry and the imaginative creations of typical children. For example, Frances makes up her own spelling of words and those around here guess what she is trying to spell through context clues.
  pbailey1980 | May 15, 2013 |
I love Frances. I love when kids come to my house and clamor for more Frances books. I love still having a few in reserve. I love reading them to people. I love reading them to myself. I am barmy for Frances.

But this Frances book has the best line in maybe the whole series, and one I quote on approximately 364 days each year: "That is how it is, Alice," said Frances. "Your birthday is always the one that is not now."
And usually when I quote it, I give your Chompo bar a little exploratory squeeze and wonder if maybe you aren't too little for a WHOLE Chompo bar of your own.

satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

Russell Hobanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoban, LillianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

As her little sister Gloria's birthday approaches, Frances wavers between being generous'and being jealous. ‘[Frances] is every youngster who chafes at being the un-birthday child.

s her little sister Gloria's birthday approaches, Frances wavers between being generous'and being jealous. -[Frances] is every youngster who chafes at being the un-birthday child.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:59 -0400)

Frances is jealous of her sister's birthday, but birthday spirit moves her to reluctantly give her coveted gift.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible