A Birthday for Frances by Russell Hoban

A Birthday for Frances (1969)

by Russell Hoban

Series: Frances (4)

Recently added bySarah_P, private library, newsandy, fumcod, vivianharris45, Fairyland, Tafadhali, cataloga, ECFEW7th

This book is about Frances having to exert self control and not eat her sister's birthday gift, a chompo bar. Frances has to spend her allowances on this gift, and in the end sings her sister happy birthday and lets her eat the whole candy bar. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Sep 21, 2014 |
A Birthday for Frances is a good story for youngsters to teach them about giving and thinking of others. It comes complete with original poetry and the imaginative creations of typical children. For example, Frances makes up her own spelling of words and those around here guess what she is trying to spell through context clues.
  pbailey1980 | May 15, 2013 |
I love Frances. I love when kids come to my house and clamor for more Frances books. I love still having a few in reserve. I love reading them to people. I love reading them to myself. I am barmy for Frances.

But this Frances book has the best line in maybe the whole series, and one I quote on approximately 364 days each year: "That is how it is, Alice," said Frances. "Your birthday is always the one that is not now."
And usually when I quote it, I give your Chompo bar a little exploratory squeeze and wonder if maybe you aren't too little for a WHOLE Chompo bar of your own.

satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Frances' sister Gloria's birthday is coming up and Frances wants to keep the chocolate bar that she got for her. But in the end she ends up giving the whole bar to Gloria, because after all she was the birthday girl. ( )
  LainaBourgeois | Mar 14, 2012 |
Birthdays can be HARD when you're not the birthday child. Frances realistically is upset that her baby sister gets cake and presents and SHE DOES NOT. So she eats her sister's present. Whoops.

There's a moral in here, though a bit of an inexpressible one, and there's a lot of realism. What more can you ask for? ( )
  conuly | May 15, 2010 |

As her little sister Gloria's birthday approaches, Frances wavers between being generous'and being jealous. ‘[Frances] is every youngster who chafes at being the un-birthday child.

s her little sister Gloria's birthday approaches, Frances wavers between being generous'and being jealous. -[Frances] is every youngster who chafes at being the un-birthday child.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:35 -0400)

Frances is jealous of her sister's birthday, but birthday spirit moves her to reluctantly give her coveted gift.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible