Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Divided in Death by J. D. Robb

Divided in Death (2004)

by J. D. Robb

Series: In Death (18)

Recently added bydavidrobertsmith, Albert_911, Linda_Trahan, SLMCafe, Thornwyck, private library

This is probably one of my favorites in the series, and, if I'm being honest, I didn't think it would be. I knew going in that there was going to be a big "Issue-with-a-capital-I" between Eve and Roarke, and I didn't want to read it. Even though I knew it'd all be alright in the end.

But, I did, and ended up loving it. Stayed up past my bedtime last night to finish it.

A cheating husband and his lover are found brutally murdered. The man was married to an employee of Roarke's. She immediately comes under suspicion, but both Eve and Roarke believe she's innocent. In the course of their (Eve's and Roarke's) investigation, information is discovered about Eve's heartbreaking past. What to do with that information is where the division between Eve and Roarke begins. And this, to me, is the heart of the story.

I like that while they were both angry and hurt, and confused and unsure as to how to resolve their differences, you never once doubt their complete and total love for each other. And the resolution, when it did come? I will admit to getting teary eyed and then rereading it once more after I got home from work today. ( )
  stellar_raven | Jun 13, 2018 |
This was pretty good. I liked reading the issues between Eve and Roarke; it shows that they are far from perfect. It made me hope for a good, and realistic, resolution and I think it was accomplished. I also enjoyed the mystery, even though I guessed an aspect of it. 4.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
I really love the "In Death" series, there in no one that wouldn't to be like Eve Dallas, she strong, independent and a badass cop. Roarke is a man that every woman on this planet would love to have, he is caring but very dangerous if crossed wrong, he is a true badass and I think I'm in love with him ^w^

Sam-Teegarden | Jun 2, 2018 |
Divided in Death
4 Stars

Roarke asks for Eve's help when one of his employees is implicated in a murder. As she investigates, the lieutenant quickly realizes that there is more going on than a simple crime of passion, and the case may be an attempt to cover up an act of cyber-terrorism that will have devastating consequences.

A good installment with some intriguing revelations and excellent character developments. Nevertheless, there is a little too much techno-babble for my tastes and it all went straight over my head.

Eve and Roarke's conflicting principles cause them to hit a substantial roadblock in their relationship. There are several emotionally fraught scenes between them, and they say harsh things that cut deep. However, all is resolved satisfactorily, and the couple come out even stronger for it in the end.

The mystery is one of the more complex in the series with the inclusion of espionage, government secrets and cyber-terrorism. That said, the twists and turns are compelling and the search for the killer leads to a number of intense and exciting moments.

The secondary cast of Feeney, Peabody, McNabb, and Dr. Mira are wonderful as always and I look forward to seeing what is next for them all.
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Roarke's work comes into play here where a computer virus takes precedence in finding a block. But who will get to it first and benefit financially? Bring in the government special ops and a coverup that hits a little too close to home...Well, Eve has her work cut out for her again. ( )
  wndy2011 | Feb 4, 2018 |

J. D. Robbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ne soupirez plus, mesdames, ne soupirez plus. Les hommes sont d'éternels traîtres.
William Shakespeare
Le mariage est une chose désespérée.
John Selden
Killing was too good for him.
Nora Roberts

Killing was too good for him. She wanted him to beg and plead like the gutter rat he was she wanted him to bleed and screamonly then the bastard could die. A slow, withering, agonizing death. Nobody, cheated on Reva Ewing. Reva was a former member of the Secret Service, and now a security specialist for Roarke Enterprises-until she was found standing over the dead bodies of her husband, renowned artist Blair Bissel, and her best friend. She is the prime suspect in a double homicide - accused of killing her adulterous husband and his lover - the woman Reva thought was her best friend.

But despite having every reason for wanting both of them dead, Reva protests her innocence and Lieutenant Eve Dallas believes her. Eve believes there was more to the killing than jealous rage, at the time of the murders all of Bissel's computer files were deliberately corrupted. At the time of the murders, Reva's husband's computer system was also sabotaged. To Roarke, it's the computer attack that poses the real threat. Roarke Industries have been working on a top secret government contract to develop a program that would shield against a new breed of hackers. The Doomsday Group are techno-terrorists who attack systems, steal data, and corrupt computer units on a large scale - and they kill anyone who gets too close. It's up to Lieutenant Eve Dallas to shut them down before the nightmare can spread to the whole country.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425197956, Mass Market Paperback)

The first hardcover in the series-now in paperback. The novel that brings it all together...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:33 -0400)

Found alone on the streets as a child, Eve Dallas has built a new identity and a new future as a cop. Now the hard-edged and coolheaded detective fights for truth and justice, but she still has one very human weakness-enigmatic Irish billionaire, Roarke. And when a trusted employee of Roarke Enterprises is a suspect in a double-homicide, Roarke comes to Eve for help. Reva Ewing was a former member of the Secret Service, and now a security specialist for Roarke Enterprises-until she was found standing over the dead bodies of her husband, renowned artist Blair Bissel, and her best friend. But Lieutenant Eve Dallas believes there was more to the killing than jealous rage-all of Bissel's computer files were deliberately corrupted. To Roarke, it's the computer attack that poses the real threat. He and Reva have been under a code-red government contract to develop a program that would shield against techno-terrorists. But this deadly new breed of hackers isn't afraid to kill to protect their secret-and it's up to Lieutenant Eve Dallas to shut them down before the nightmare can spread to the whole country.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,476,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible