Belly Button Book by Sandra Boynton

Belly Button Book (2005)

by Sandra Boynton

Reviewed from interlibrary loan copy ( )
  kcarrigan | Aug 26, 2013 |
“Bee bo!” If you haven't read this book, you might not know that’s the tiny hippo way of saying, “Belly Button!” Hippos are oh-so-proud of their belly buttons and every summer they show them off a the Belly Button Beach. They nibble grapes and take naps and sing odes to their belly buttons by the light of the moon. Summer is the time for belly button songs because when it gets cold belly buttons hide. “Bye-bye, Bee Bo!”

The rhyming text of this humorous board book trips off the tongue like a baby hippo running to the beach. Boynton plays with the text, changing the size and color to tell the reader which character is talking or which words are important. The colorful illustrations are full of swimsuit sporting hippos and, naturally, lots of belly buttons. Parents will enjoy subtle jokes, such as the hippo wearing a “Navel Academy” t-shirt.

Full Review at Picture-Book-a-Day: http://picturebookaday.blogspot.com/2012/05/book-128-belly-button-book-by-sandra...
  amy-picturebookaday | May 8, 2012 |
A silly story about belly buttons that is super fun to read. Hippos love their belly b's, so they wear teeny bathing suits and buy balloons (because they like to think that balloons have belly buttons too) and hang out at Belly Button Beach. As with all other Boynton books, the story has a lyrical quality that is perfect for being read out loud, or even sung. The illustrations are cute and slightly absurd, and you have to love that adorable baby hippo. She calls her belly button "Beebo!" My family has a tendency to read Boynton books to the point of memorization; in fact, I quoted several lines in this review as naturally as if I were speaking them myself. We love Boynton books. ( )
  nmhale | Jul 25, 2011 |
More Boynton fun, and there's a related song to learn, hurrah! ( )
  francescadefreitas | Feb 25, 2010 |
My kids LOVE this book. I only wish Boynton books were also in French, because I translate them (raising kids bilingual), and it's so much fun to read these books, but I can't think fast enough always to remember rhymes as charming as hers... in French!
  DBake | Jan 27, 2010 |
A truly serious work for Peter and Carolan
This tiny hippopotamus
has something small to say
and if we're very quiet now,
she'll say it right away.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0761137998, Board book)

Emboldened by the enthusiastic response to Belly Button (Round)—a song from her Grammy-nominated book/CD, Philadelphia Chickens—Sandra Boynton further contemplates this mesmerizing subject.

Featuring a beachful of bare-bellied hippos—including one tiny baby who can only say “Bee Bo”—the Belly Button Book is the latest quirky addition to the phenomenally successful Boynton on Board series. Every page captivates with Sandra Boynton’s inimitable illustrations and joyful rhyming text:

Soon after dark, upon the beach, we sing a hippo song, and if you’re feeling in the mood, we hope you’ll sing along: “Belly Belly Button, you’re oh so fine. Ooo, Belly Button, I’m so happy you’re mine.”

Shiny and sturdy, and featuring a great (navel-shaped, naturally) die-cut cover that offers a provocative glimpse of the merriment inside, the Belly Button Book provides enduring, giggly, read-aloud fun.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:39 -0400)

Hippopotamuses celebrate their belly buttons.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible