Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban

Bread and Jam for Frances (original 1964; edition 1976)

by Russell Hoban

Series: Frances (3)

Member:srhbth
Title:Bread and Jam for Frances
Authors:Russell Hoban
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1976), Paperback
Tags:animals, childhood

Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban (Author) (1964)

Little badger Frances only likes bread and jam - until her other choices are taken away, and then she wants what everyone else is having. The illustrations are adorable, as are Frances' little under-her-breath songs. The text is rather long, especially the bit about Frances' friend Albert arranging and eating his lunch.

See also: Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle ( )
  JennyArch | Sep 17, 2018 |
Frances loves nothing better than jam and bread, and turns up her nose at other kinds of food. Then her mother starts giving Frances jam and bread for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Frances starts to get tired of bread and jam. At the end of the book Frances is grateful for and loves bread and jam ( )
  mparks15 | Dec 7, 2017 |
I really enjoyed being able to read this book. It brought back many experiences for myself from when I was younger. Frances only ever wanted to eat bread and jam for every meal of the day. Well her wish was granted. As time went on, she realized what everyone was able to eat while she was stuck with the same thing over and over again. She then breaks down when eating dinner one day because she had enough. This book shows students, that trying new things is worth it in the long run. It also shows that it is okay to be picky, but you can always try something new. ( )
  Karleyk14 | Sep 18, 2017 |
This book is an old one but it is one of my favorites. It is a fantasy book about Frances who is a raccoon. She eats bread and jam for every meal and gets very tired of eating the same thing. This is a fun book that may encourage kids to try new things. Overall I really loved this book because I remember my mom reading it to us before we went to bed and it was a special book. This is a fantasy book because the raccoons talk to one another and live in their own world.
Early Childhood
Illustrations: Drawings ( )
  mparks15 | Apr 7, 2017 |
Growing up, I was the pickiest eater. I never wanted to try new things.I think a book like this would've helped me get out of my comfort zone and try new things. This book is about a badge that will only eat bread and jam. Her family tries to get her to eat other types of food but she refuses. After a while, she grows tired of food and wants to expand her horizons. This book is excellent to encourage picky eaters because they can see how Frances was able to try new foods and enjoy them.
  AimeeSword | Feb 14, 2017 |
Frances loves nothing better than jam and bread, and turns up her nose at other kinds of food. Then her mother starts giving Frances jam and bread for breakfast, lunch and dinner. "What I am/is sick of Jam," Frances sings to herself. That's the end of Frances's jam-only days, as she discovers, in her own winsome way, that variety really is the spice of mealtimes.
added by Dpadelsky | editPublishers Weekly

Hoban, RussellAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoban, LillianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
for Julia, who likes to practice with a string bean when she can

Frances, one of children's best-loved characters for over 30 years, now springs to life even more in Bread and Jam for Frances,beautifully reillustrated in sparkling full color by Lillian Hoban. In this memorable story, Frances decides that bread and jam are all she wants to eat, and her understanding parents grant her wish'at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even snacktime. Can there ever be too much bread and jam?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:33 -0400)

Frances decides she likes to eat only bread and jam at every meal--until to her surprise--her parents grant her wish.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,977,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible