Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban

Bread and Jam for Frances (original 1964; edition 1964)

by Russell Hoban, Lillian Hoban (Illustrator)

Series: Frances (3)

Member:lsmyth
Title:Bread and Jam for Frances
Authors:Russell Hoban
Other authors:Lillian Hoban (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1964), Edition: Revised, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Children's Picture Books, Fantasy, Your library
Tags:badgers, bread and jam, friends, childhood

Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban (1964)

This book is an old one but it is one of my favorites. It is a fantasy book about Frances who is a raccoon. She eats bread and jam for every meal and gets very tired of eating the same thing. This is a fun book that may encourage kids to try new things. Overall I really loved this book because I remember my mom reading it to us before we went to bed and it was a special book. This is a fantasy book because the raccoons talk to one another and live in their own world.
Early Childhood
Illustrations: Drawings ( )
  mparks15 | Apr 7, 2017 |
Growing up, I was the pickiest eater. I never wanted to try new things.I think a book like this would've helped me get out of my comfort zone and try new things. This book is about a badge that will only eat bread and jam. Her family tries to get her to eat other types of food but she refuses. After a while, she grows tired of food and wants to expand her horizons. This book is excellent to encourage picky eaters because they can see how Frances was able to try new foods and enjoy them.
  AimeeSword | Feb 14, 2017 |
Fuck yeah, Russell Hoban! Not only are you my best bud writer of weird gnarly books for grownups, you also wrote this book about how to trick your kid into eating some proper food once in a while that, granted, I don't need because Emmett has the discerning palate of a grownup reader of gnarly books, but that if I did need I never would have thought of on my own, so, uh, many para-thanks, I guess, for this book that was also fun and cute!

(It took me 2,066 LibraryThing reviews to find occasion to use the word "gnarly"?!? I'm clearly not living right) ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Jan 13, 2017 |
This book is about a little badger Frances who only likes to eat bread and jam. When her family makes her food, she wont eat it but will only have her bread and jam. After awhile, the only thing that her family will make for her is bread and jam. She eventually gets sick of eating this and decides to have a bigger variety of foods. I like this book for kids because it shows them how boring eating one type of food can get. It also is a good book to introduce the MyPlate to students with. This is where you create meals using variety.
  arikacosta | Dec 13, 2016 |
francés learns to try new foods from a friend at school
3 book
  TUCC | Nov 11, 2016 |
Frances loves nothing better than jam and bread, and turns up her nose at other kinds of food. Then her mother starts giving Frances jam and bread for breakfast, lunch and dinner. "What I am/is sick of Jam," Frances sings to herself. That's the end of Frances's jam-only days, as she discovers, in her own winsome way, that variety really is the spice of mealtimes.
added by Dpadelsky | editPublishers Weekly

Russell Hobanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hoban, LillianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
for Julia, who likes to practice with a string bean when she can

Frances, one of children's best-loved characters for over 30 years, now springs to life even more in Bread and Jam for Frances,beautifully reillustrated in sparkling full color by Lillian Hoban. In this memorable story, Frances decides that bread and jam are all she wants to eat, and her understanding parents grant her wish'at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even snacktime. Can there ever be too much bread and jam?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:33 -0400)

Frances decides she likes to eat only bread and jam at every meal--until to her surprise--her parents grant her wish.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,148,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible