A Murder in Time by Julie McElwain
    A Dangerous Man by Candace Camp (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although A Murder in Time is grittier while A Dangerous Man has a stronger romantic plot, both suspenseful and engaging mysteries star strong women sleuths who overcome unfamiliar and often unwelcoming circumstances to solve complex and difficult cases.… (more)

Just didn't connect with the main characters--not sure I will return to this series. ( )
  marsap | Mar 6, 2018 |
How would a contemporary FBI agent conduct a murder investigation in the early 19th century without the 21st century forensic technology and being required to navigate through the gender and social class constraints? This is the premise behind the first in the Kendra Donovan historical-suspense series.

When a FBI sting operation goes terribly wrong resulting in the death of Agent Donovan's comrade, she goes rogue and seeks personal justice. Going undercover in England, she is hired as a maid in an upcoming reenactment of life at an early 19th British manor. While escaping a shooting, she escapes down a private staircase into the 19th century and, shortly after her arrival, to the scene of a serial murder.

The technology behind the time travel is not revealed. It appears to be only a plot device to implement the premise I opened this review with and not an essential element to the story. Although Kendra does use contemporary jargon which confused the British aristocracy, it isn't overused. Overall the novel was well written, characters well developed, and an enjoyable mystery and murder investigation. I will be reading further in the Kendra Donovan series. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 29, 2018 |
I absolutely loved this novel. I loved the blending of the present with the past and I think the author did a fantastic job with this through the character of Kendra. What I enjoyed most about this novel was the process by which Kendra solves the murders. The author isn't too detailed but the information presented is done in an artful way such that it remains interesting to read. All of the different characters were drawn up really well and did a great job of supporting the main character. The murders were graphic, and there is definitely profanity in the story but it worked with the kind of story being told here; it all made the story seem more realistic. This book was fast-paced and intriguing and I could not put it down! I heard there is a second novel coming out and I am definitely placing it on my list to read as soon as it is released! If you like historical fiction and murders, then this is the novel for you! ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
My review of A Murder in Time is now up on Fresh Fiction!

"Slipping back in time 200 years to catch a serial killer"

Read the whole review here! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Kendra Donovan appears to have everything going for her. She's gorgeous, a child prodigy who went to Princeton at fourteen, and now works as a profiler for the FBI. The trouble is, all those assets just seem to make her a liability among her coworkers. During an important mission Kendra is shot multiple times. After several weeks of recovery she is told one of the suspects has been given a deal in return for helping them in the future.

Now Kendra is out for justice, but she is forbidden to go near the witness. She follows him to a party at an old English manor house, but when she finally confronts him, something happens and she is suddenly thrust back to the same house, but in 1815. She's completely confused and is put to work as a ladies maid, until a woman's body is found in the river, strangled and slashed in a way that Kendra notes is similar to a serial killer. She decides to do the investigation herself. She doesn't have the tools that a 21st Century profiler has, but she feels like she's the only one who can find the killer.

I wasn't sure if I would actually like this novel when I started it but it incorporates two genres I really enjoy......time travel and mystery. I found this story to be atmospheric, packed with lots of action, and plenty of lively characters. I thought the author made Kendra a bit too stereotypical for this type heroine....too beautiful, too brilliant, etc. But that's not the worst thing that can happen in this type of book either. I found it an entertaining, fast paced read and much better than I originally expected. In fact, I see Book 2 is going to be released on April 4. I might head over to the library website and see if I can put it on hold.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |

When brilliant FBI agent Kendra Donovan stumbles back in time and finds herself in a 19th century English castle under threat from a vicious serial killer, she scrambles to solve the case before it takes her life—200 years before she was even born.

Beautiful and brilliant, Kendra Donovan is a rising star at the FBI. Yet her path to professional success hits a speed bump during a disastrous raid where half her team is murdered, a mole in the FBI is uncovered and she herself is severely wounded. As soon as she recovers, she goes rogue and travels to England to assassinate the man responsible for the deaths of her teammates. While fleeing from an unexpected assassin herself, Kendra escapes into a stairwell that promises sanctuary but when she stumbles out again, she is in the same place - Aldrich Castle - but in a different time: 1815, to be exact. Mistaken for a lady's maid hired to help with weekend guests, Kendra is forced to quickly adapt to the time period until she can figure out how she got there; and, more importantly, how to get back home. However, after the body of a young girl is found on the extensive grounds of the county estate, she starts to feel there's some purpose to her bizarre circumstances. Stripped of her twenty-first century tools, Kendra must use her wits alone in order to unmask a cunning madman. ~Book jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,231,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible