Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers

Assassin's Heart

by Sarah Ahiers

1119108,775 (3.52)3

3.5 stars for this one. Assassin's Heart was definitely enjoyable. It reminded me of the writing style of Rosamund Hodge in Crimson Bound, but without the fairytale aspect to it. ( )
  Sarahliz2182 | Jun 30, 2017 |
Wow! This Author is a mastermind at creating a unique world filled with danger, intrigue, magic, and love. I was captivated by the descriptions and intrigued by the haunting plot. This world is unlike any other I've ever read about. It's a world where hunters stalk their prey at night wearing masks of bone with intricate details in the color that represents their family. It's fantasy meets horror. It's honor meets fear.

Lea is the main character and a clipper. Her job is to murder for Safraella. She knows her poisons and takes pride in her kills. By placing a coin on the deceased' tongues she can give her victim a chance at life again. She is a kick *ss heroine with a tough persona. However, her heart is set on the forbidden. She loves a guy from another family... Each night they spend time together on the rooftops or dining in privacy. They know it's dangerous, but can't stay away. It's takes tragedy to tear them apart to the point of no return. Lea's home is burnt to the ground with her family inside. She is the lone survivor and desperately seeks revenge. She doesn't know it, but the revenge she seeks may just be against the person she loves most. Through her feelings of guilt she presses on to take down the family that took hers away. She seeks out a long lost family member to help and he is quick to shove her away. The boy living with him however is intrigued by her presence. They strike up a deal and end up using one another to get what they want. A new love blossoms, deaths occur, and in the end belief and love is their resurrection.

This book had so many awesome points. The magic laced within the pages really brought the fantasy feel I crave. There was no choice but to leave reality behind when reading... It brought unique characters with unique stories. I was held captive by the twists and turns and couldn't wait to see how it all played out. The romance was unconventional and for that I am thankful. Talk about a swoon worthy couple. Les and Lea were the best book couple ever! There was kindness in him and fierceness in her. Together they protected one another with their lives. It was very romeo and juilet and I loved it.

Overall, I can't say enough wonderful things... I enjoyed the book and how it was different from all the other fantasies I've read. I can't wait to read more by this Author. ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
“He is too kind to you. He thinks if he is kind, then people will like him. And if they like him, they won’t leave. But that is not the way of things. You are a flame and he is a moth, drawn to you, unaware if he gets too close you will burn him up.”
It is one of the best decisions I had ever make to grab the book Assassin’s Heart by Sarah Ahiers and read the book into my heart’s content. Fascinating. Interesting. Compelling. Thrilling. Exhausting. I thought this book is a retelling of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet or so that’s what I thought since it was the vibe that I was receiving when I read the few pages of this book.

But I was mistaken.

It was not a retelling of Romeo and Juliet. It was not about the love of two couples belong in two different forsaken families. It was not about the sacrifice, the trust and the loyalty of Shakespeare’s masterpiece. It is anything but not. It’s more like the other way around.

Two people who seemed love each other’s set in a different families – families that has long been as a historical enemies. Where Val is the Romeo and Lea is the Juliet. Upon the mysteries and how they hide their courtship. Secrets are meant to be revealed and no secrets are kept forever. Secrets of love, betrayal, faith and loyalty where Families first before family.

A tradition of assassins who believed and worshipped Safraella, the God of Resurreccion, the mighty who protect them from the dead plains where wild ghost who captures and lure human bodies and mentally break down in inside and outside kept them safe, betrays even the God – The Da Vias, the second family in line with Saldanas.

Saldanas are the first Family of assassin who have honored and gained the king’s favor of the kingdom Lovero. Quality over quantity above all envelops their personality. Assassins in here are covered with mask as they distinction. I remember the anime Arcana Familia and Tokyo Ghoul with this book, though this book is much different and precise on the action. There’s magic but there’s few.

I love how the author told the agony of Oleander, Lea as short, that how it feels like to lose a love one much more losing all the family you have in blood. Your favorite and idolizing brother is dead in front of you. You blame yourself for doing so, for doing everything because you were caught off guard in a simple mistake of placing your trust into a wrong people that you thought you loved.

Assasin’s Heart is a novel that you won’t put down. It will drive you crazy through and through. It will make you hook with its powerful content, amazing plot lines and unexpected twist of events. This book represents that there’s so much hope when you believe in yourself. It will make you ask questions why such things happened, that in a simple placement of heart could destroy you in a lot of ways.

The novel that Sarah Ahiers written is a seedling of life, there’s so much to learn and there’s so much to discover. It will grow into a tree that who knows, one day, will brought us back how Saldanas was the First Family of the Assassin’s and the best among everyone.

Valentino is a Da Via, Alessio is a Saldana. Marcello is a Saldana, Estella is a Da Via. And everything takes place being as the middle barrier. Oleander Saldana whom you don’t want to go against with.

“Les,” I whispered.

“Hmm?” he answered, barely awake.

“What does kalla mean?”

He gave a little smile. “Beautiful.”

My Ratings: 4.5 stars! ( )
  Rafael_Ray | Aug 27, 2016 |
“I closed my eyes. What hurt more? The death of my Family, or the cold betrayal?”

I love books about assassins, and I love a bit of romance. Throw the two together and BAM! It should make quite an interesting tale, right? Right.

The basis of Assassin’s Heart is a twisted Romeo and Juliet. Lea is our Juliet from the Saldana family, and Val is our Romeo from the Da Vias family. Both are the biggest and strongest families of assassins in Lovero, but while some of the families have some kind of truce, the Saldana and Da Vias are rivals. That doesn’t stop Lea and Val from having a little secret behind their families backs, until Lea’s entire family is taken out by the Da Vias.

I have to start of with the world building. If you love world building, you could get lost in this. There’s a deep rooted history and tons of religious elements built into the world, not to mention a ghost filled plane that borders nations. The people of Lovero know about the nine assassin families and actually treat them as royalty, because in some twisted way the assassinations are part of their religion.

Lea can be annoying as a character, and fall flat at times, but I can still see how she makes some of her decisions based on the situation she’s in. She can come out as a bit whiny, but then again her entire family died and her boyfriend may have had something to do with their mass murder, so I think assassin or not, she’s a teenage girl and has permission to be a bit mopey.

Val is a charming guy, for a full grown pit bull that acts liked kicked puppy that doesn't know it did anything wrong. Poor thing. Seriously, I don’t know if the guy had mental issues, a psychopath, or is very desperately in love.

Lafevre is a minor character I couldn’t help but mention. He’s a police man sent to tail Lea after she makes it out of Lovero and starts working with an assassin-wanna-be, Les. Lafeyre reminds me of Javert from Les Miserables in the sense that he pops up everywhere at the most inopportune moments to arrest her. I nearly wanted to start breaking out in song.

Les is the character that provides balance for Lea. He makes her question her ideals as he starts questioning his own.

The storyline was great. I loved the inner turmoil as Lea struggled with herself and the outer turmoil as she fought her way through assassins and ghosts, but the story could have also but cut much shorter in some areas. At times it was just Lea repeating the same notions over and over and that really bugs me in books.

Overall, Assassin’s Heart is an enjoyable read with plenty to look forward to, you just might end up skimming a few pages. ( )
  ReadingBifrost | Jun 15, 2016 |
Slow start, decent finish, though with a literal deus ex machina. Should be a stand-alone, but will probably end up as a series. ( )
  BillieBook | Mar 1, 2016 |

With shades of Game of Thrones and Romeo and Juliet, this richly imagined fantasy from debut author Sarah Ahiers is a tale of love, lies, and vengeance. Fans of Kristin Cashore and Rae Carson will devour the flawlessly crafted action and inventive world building.

Seventeen-year-old Lea Saldana is a trained assassin. She was born into one of the nine clipper Families in the kingdom of Lovero who lawfully take lives for a price. As a member of the highest-ranking clan, loyalty to Family is valued above all, but that doesn't stop Lea from getting into a secret relationship with Val Da Via, a boy from a rival clan. Despite her better judgment, Lea has fallen in love with him; but she's confident she can anticipate any threat a mile away.

Then she awakens one night to a house full of smoke. Although she narrowly escapes, she isn't able to save her Family as their home is consumed by flames. With horror, she realizes that Val and his Family are the only ones who could be responsible. Devastated over his betrayal and the loss of her clan, there's just one thing on her mind: making the Da Vias pay. The heart of this assassin craves revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 21 Aug 2015 11:38:04 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,029,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible