Diary of a Wombat by Jackie French

Diary of a Wombat (2002)

by Jackie French

Other authors: Bruce Whatley (Illustrator)

Series: Diary of a Wombat (1)

Recently added bycesdemo, rileymiller

English (22)  German (2)  All (24)
Diary of a Wombat was a silly book in which a wombat keeps a diary of all the activities he does over a weeks worth of time. Readers get to follow the wombat on his adventure of getting carrots from his neighbors, who happen to be humans. I liked this book to an extent. While it was entertaining and fun to read, there were grammatical and spelling errors which the author purposely included in order to give the wombat personality and to stay true to the diary style of writing. "Evening: Discovered more carrots. Never knew there were so many carrots in the world. Carrots delicious." Considering this, I do not believe I would use this book in my classroom for learning purposes, but maybe just for a fun read instead. I believe that even though this book may not be the best for grammatical reasons, it can still be useful to broaden a child's perspective on the world and learn about a new animal. ( )
  CassieLThompson | Sep 7, 2016 |
Adorable. I hope I can find more by this author. I never realized that a wombat is so much like a raccoon. Captivating illustrations. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Mothball is a wombat with Attitude and her diary is so funny. She sleeps a lot and eats a lot. Her day is not actually very eventful but somehow Jackie French and Bruce Whatley - through their use of lots of visual humour - still manage to make a hilarious book.
I also like this book because I think the concept is very fresh and interesting.
Am I the only one who finds that her behaviour is similar to a cat's? ( )
  Haklh | Nov 5, 2015 |
Am I the only one who finds that her behaviour is similar to a cat's? ( )
  Haklh | Nov 5, 2015 |
27 months - Not your usual animal choice for a story which makes this a fun read. Quite a mischievous character too. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |

Jackie Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whatley, BruceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A wombat's diary reads with entry after entry of calm, quiet, predictable entries about eating, sleeping and scratching. Until! A human family moves into the area! Suddenly the wombat's diary is filled with new entries of new discoveries and of training the humans. Inevitable conflict ensues, but eventually a peaceable truce is worked out. This is a good book for talking about diary-writing and blogging, and for talking about human impact on the animal's habitats.

Wombats are cuddly-looking, slow-moving Australian animals. Their favorite activities are eating, sleeping, and digging holes. Here, in the words of one unusually articulate wombat, is the tongue-in-cheek account of a busy week; eating, sleeping, digging holes . . . and training its new neighbors, a family of humans, to produce treats on demand. This entertaining book, with its brief, humorous text and hilarious illustrations, will endear the wombat to young children, who may recognize in the determined furry creature some qualities that they share.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:39 -0400)

In his diary, a wombat describes his life of eating, sleeping, and getting to know some new human neighbors.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,733,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible