Fourth World: Erotic tales of monsters,…

Fourth World: Erotic tales of monsters, myths and magic

by Lisabet Sarai

113,689,591 (5)None
Recently added bySheila1957

A series of short stories where someone is searching for something but do they find it or will the monsters get to them first? These are complex tales even though they are short stories and left me with a lot to think about. Each story has a paranormal element but it is not always named. We readers have the leeway to decide who the monster is.

In Prey, Juliana and Philip must feed, humans being their food of choice. The well set up scene shows us the hopelessness they feel. Their world is dark but sensual but does it help them?

Next up is Fleshpot. An unnamed man is looking for sex in all the wrong places. His fear of not finding what he is looking for is apparent as he tries everything he is offered. Will his fear override his common sense?

Twentieth Century has Beth returning to a vintage jewelry shop where she is attracted to the displays of jewelry in the window. When finally one piece cries out to her she cannot stop herself from going in and trying it on. This is a very sensual tale. While I expected the ending I was still surprised by it. This one is my favorite of the stories.

Naked in Varanasi has a pilgrim tried to atone for his lust. The goddess tries to explain it will not happen through denial of it. She shows him what he must do. I found this to be the most thought provoking mostly because of the ending. Is he free and if he is, how?

Renfield's Lament has Renfield taking matters into his own hands to get the satisfaction he wants from his Master and Mistress. With this one I could only think of Dracula and his brides but they were not as aware as this Master and Mistress.

Fourth World has Harry and Jeremy joining Mai at her place. This is the one story that does not fit the theme of the book. I never felt that Harry and Jeremy were looking for anything but a good time. Not sure if what they got was what they wanted. My least favorite story.

Last is Higher Power where Myra goes for a job with magician Magister Aleister. This was definitely the creepiest one. Myra has two levels of communication with Aleister but when she needs it, it fails her. I was shocked with the ending.

I enjoyed these stories. They are not what I expected from Lisabet Sarai but well done. She has a way with prose that draws you into the story and you are lost to reality. Each story had complex characters with some of the best world building I have read. I felt the creepiness, horror, the darkness, the searching and yearning, as well as the sensuality in each tale. Not a book I will forget soon. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jul 19, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,746,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible