Her Own Devices by Lisabet Sarai

Her Own Devices

by Lisabet Sarai

113,689,591 (5)None
Recently added bySheila1957

9 short stories with the theme of female/female love. Some know what they want, others experiment. I enjoyed these stories. Some were a surprise while others I thought I knew what would happen. Sometimes I was right. Others, oops!

First up is Rush Hour. Ruth and Mina both go for the same cab when it rains. Both believe they have the greater need of it. Ruth isn't so nice about getting the cab but in the end the ladies discover a common ground and do what they want to do.

Burn Baby is about Billie whose partner died in a fire while she rescued a child. She is suffering from PTSD and her captain wants her to return to the job so he sends her to Dr. Morgenstern who has been successful in the past with other victims of PTSD. I was surprised by this one. Dr. Morgenstern shows Billie who is boss.

Making Memory has Nicole stranded in a small town because of car trouble. She stays at an inn whose widowed owner has an interesting outlook on life. I enjoyed this a lot. I liked the gentleness of the story.

Next comes Velvet. Loretta is at a conference where her business idol is the keynote speaker. Marta, her idol, seems to search her out and makes her an offer she does not want to refuse but what is the offer actually for? I liked the question of what Marta really wanted and what Lori wanted to choose.

The Architecture of Desire is a quickie between Judith and Toby. Again a surprise to me but I liked the quickness of the story.

The First Stone was an eye-opener. Magnolia is coming off the streets into rehab to beat her addictions. Sister Katherine Patrick works closely with those leaving rehab and reentering the community. She has a strong reaction to Magnolia. I liked the taboo feeling of it. Who will win--Magnolia or Sister Katherine?

Sundae, Bloody Sundae deals with BDSM and an emotional problem. It emphasizes the importance of communication between partners. It is not easy to guess what is wrong when one will not about themselves.

Clean Slate has Ally getting her tattoo removed by Luisa. I liked that Luisa put the questions of what is right for you and what do you want to Ally even if Ally did not give an answer. Luisa was honest.

The last story is Her Own Desires. It is a historical with a steampunk feel to it. Christopher is an inventor and is cutting into other brothel owners' profits. Lin Xiao Chung is supposed to seduce Chris and get the toys and secrets. I liked the honesty between the two of them. Though steampunk the setting was just right for this tale. I could not see it happening anywhere else nor during a different time period.

If you are looking for satisfying stories that can be read in one setting, look no further. This is the book ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jul 19, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,818,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible