The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate…

The Friday Night Knitting Club (edition 2012)

by Kate Jacobs

Member:kebets
Title:The Friday Night Knitting Club
Authors:Kate Jacobs
Info:Berkley (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

Recently added byprivate library, karencronin, MSZR, carmenllavellave, FOHHL, jlnb82, MaryBJones, ali180
    Knit Two by Kate Jacobs (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: Es la continuación del libro anterior, es de lectura rápida y sin complicaciones, con historietas de amistad que llegan directamente al corazón.
    Stay by Allie Larkin (bilja)
    bilja: it's all about friendship!
    Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner (Deesirings)

English (171)  Spanish (6)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (181)
When Georgia died, I was completely taken aback. I mean, I was shocked when she had cancer, because it seems like that would have been introduced to the story somewhere earlier than the last fifth of the book, but to die from it? It was all just so sudden, like Jacobs got bored or something and wanted a quick fix.

There's nothing wrong with killing off a character, of course. People die and that's part of life. There's not even anything wrong with killing off a main character. But to do so with no foreshadowing feels a little cheap. Nowhere in the book did we get even the slightest hint (at least, not that I picked up, but I'm usually pretty tuned into these things) that Georgia was sick. To have such a huge turn of events and refocusing of attention so late in the story was, simply put, jarring. Had there been a bit more warning -- some symptoms or something -- things would have been easier to digest. Instead, I was too busy worrying about what I missed to focus on what was happening at the moment.

And I understand that sometimes cancer really does come out of nowhere and you don't have time to digest its arrival. That's life. That's the truth. But it doesn't make for a good story. Stories grow out of tension and anticipation, and sometimes it's better to alter the circumstances of life to make the story better than to stick to life's hard truths.

I had some other problems with the book, but overall enjoyed it. The inclusion of knitting was fun and I liked the characters, even if they were a little simplified. This is an easy-peasy read, and therefore it's structured like an easy-peasy read, with lots of obvious symbolism and a lot of hand holding for the reader, but that's ok. Sometimes what you want is something simple that doesn't make you think much.

TL;DR: The Friday Night Knitting Club is good if you want a quickie, but it certainly has some problems. ( )
  shulera1 | Jun 7, 2016 |
A light, entertaining read. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
An easy read about a mother/daughter, their yarn business and the people in the Friday Night Knitting Club. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
Well, that took an unexpected turn. Not my usual sort of reading, but I liked it. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Feb 5, 2016 |
I didn't find the main character sympathetic. ( )
  CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |

Kate Jacobsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Batista, MontserratTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Open Tuesday to Saturday, 10 A.M -- 8 P.M. No exceptions! The hours of WALKER AND DAUGHTER, KNITTERS were clearly displayed in multicolored letters on a white sandwich board placed just so at the top of the stair landing.

A group of plucky, crafty women in contemporary NYC meet at Manhattan yarn shop every Friday night to share knitting techniques and personal dramas. While the characters are not particularly well developed, the knitting details are interesting. Sadly, this story takes a melodramatic, tragic turn at the end precluding using the novel for a light, fun, "brain candy" recommendation. ljh 11/13/09

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425219097, Paperback)

The New York Times bestselling sensation that's "Steel Magnolias set in Manhattan" (USA Today)-now in paperback.

Juggling the demands of her yarn shop and single-handedly raising a teenage daughter has made Georgia Walker grateful for her Friday Night Knitting Club. Her friends are happy to escape their lives too, even for just a few hours. But when Georgia's ex suddenly reappears, demanding a role in their daughter's life, her whole world is shattered.

Luckily, Georgia's friends are there, sharing their own tales of intimacy, heartbreak, and miracle making. And when the unthinkable happens, these women will discover that what they've created isn't just a knitting club: it's a sisterhood.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:06 -0400)

Gathering for their weekly knitting club at a small yarn shop on Manhattan's Upper West Side, a group of friends shares such challenges as raising children, navigating the ups and downs of their careers, and pursuing uncertain relationships.

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,528,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible