Ten Days in the Hills by Jane Smiley

Ten Days in the Hills

by Jane Smiley

The Player by Michael Tolkin (hairball)
    hairball: The original movietown book. (Which isn't, I realize, the point of Smiley's book, but still...)
    The Diviners by Rick Moody (hairball)

Too long, too wandering, too much effort.
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
The characters talk and have sex. Nothing really happens. I was surprised how political it was. There is a lot of talk about the Iraq war. ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 12, 2017 |
It wasn't exactly Moo (which I LOVE), but I still enjoyed it.
It was kind of like a Judith Krantz novel but with fancier writing and a political agenda. And don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of Judith Krantz. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
09 April 2011 - charity shop

I got bored of the dull, rich characters and their unpleasantly graphic sex scenes by p 47. Read other reviews which felt the same, so had no problem stopping. And I am a big Smiley fan! ( )
  LyzzyBee | Oct 19, 2011 |
This story is not for everyone, and in some parts not for me, but I think Jane Smiley has brilliant introspection with her characters and a lovely way of emoting what is difficult to make come across on a page in a book. ( )
  TanyaTomato | Jan 29, 2011 |
To Jack Canning, Mr. Inspiration
Max was still sleeping, neatly, as always, his head framed by the sunny white of his rectangular pillow, his eyelids smooth over the orbs of his eyes, his lips pale and soft, his bare shoulders square on the bed.

On the morning after the 2003 Academy Awards, Max--an Oscar-winning writer/director whose fame has waned--and his lover, Elena, are in bed, still groggy from last night's red-carpet festivities. They are talking about movies, talking about love, talking about the just-begun war in Iraq. But a house full of guests demands attention. They share their stories of Hollywood past and present; they watch films in Max's luxe screening room; they gossip by the swimming pool, and tussle in the many bedrooms. The tension mounts, sparks fly, and Smiley delivers a virtuosic, unputdownable romp of a novel about love, war, sex, politics, storytelling--and, of course, redemption--that's Hollywood!

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,101,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible