The Girl in the Glass by James Hayman

When two murders of young women take place almost a century apart, the two women related and the murders very similar, it's up to McCabe and Savage, two Portland, Maine police detectives, to solve the crimes.
I always enjoy Mr. Hayman's books because I live in Portland and he often refers to locations that I know well. The Girl in the Glass was no exception. I also liked the history he incorporated into this one with the older murder of Aimee Garnier Whitby. I found that mystery more of a challenge as to how it came about than the murder of her descendant also named Aimee in today's world. That one wasn't as neatly plotted and it was pretty obvious who the killer was. Still, it's a good read. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Oct 20, 2017 |
"Two identical women.
Two identical murders.
Two lives brutally cut short 108 years apart."

I thought I was reading the 1st McCabe Savage thriller but it turned out to be the 4th.
I was pleased with this police procedural and easily able to enter the atmosphere of the fourth book.

2 story lines were deftly woven to give bits of information on a slow steady basis.
I felt I could understand the times, settings and struggles of each Aimée.
I'll also note that there was no shortage of motives and red herrings.

McCabe and Savage are believable characters as they investigate the murder of Veronica Aimée Whitby in 2012.
I appreciated their intelligence as well as their character flaws.

...a sound copycat....

4 ★ ( )
  pennsylady | Feb 11, 2016 |
Gave up a hundred pages in. Nothing new, pretty stereotypical. Women with honey blond hair and men with 2 day beard growth. Everybody sleeping with everybody. No character development.
  flippinpages | Dec 2, 2015 |
Bizarre – in a good way! 104 years after Aimee Garnier Whitby had been brutally left to die, her great great granddaughter, Veronica Aimée Whitby, was left to die in the same manner – a deep cut just above her navel and the letter ‘A’ carved in her chest.

Aimée Garnier Whitby – 1904 – Not afraid to live in a man’s world. She pursued her love of art, taking classes that at that time were strictly for men. That’s where she met her lover, Mark Garrison. Did her husband know?

Veronica Aimée Whitby – 2012 – It was her eighteenth birthday and her father was unveiling the portrait of Aimee Garnier Whitby … a painting that he paid dearly for … a painting by her lover. Veronica Aimée Whitby decided to surprise, or hopefully shock, everyone present as she descended the stairs dressed as Aimée Garnier Whitby. It worked. It also distanced her sister from her for taking, almost demanding, all of the attention in the room.

In the way that Mark Zusak, author of The Book Thief, foretold future happenings, this author used that same tactic in his writing style suggesting to the reader what was coming. When this tactic is used, it makes me alert and I pay more attention. The author unveiled this story one delectable piece at a time interweaving the two Aimée’s. McCabe and Savage are believable and likable characters as they investigate the murder of Veronica Aimée Whitby and there are no shortage of suspects. This is the fourth in their series and can be read as a stand-alone. Rating: 4.5 out of 5. ( )
  FictionZeal | Sep 17, 2015 |

Two identical women.

Two identical murders. Two lives brutally cut short

108 years apart

June 1904
Aimée Garnier Whitby, a beautiful French artist and wife of one of Maine's richest and most powerful men, is found near death on the Whitby family's private summer island, the letter "A" mysteriously carved into her chest.

June 2012
Veronica Aimée Whitby, the eighteen-year-old descendant and virtual double of the first Aimée, becomes the victim of a near perfect copycat murder. With another beautiful, promising young Whitby woman slain, the media begin to swarm and pressure builds for Mike McCabe and Maggie Savage to bring the killer quickly to justice. But the key to solving Aimée's death just might have been buried with her beautiful ancestor.

Two identical women. Two identical murders. Two lives brutally cut short 108 years apart. June 1904. Aimee Garnier Whitby, a beautiful French artist and wife of one of Maine's richest and most powerful men, is found near death on the Whitby family's private summer island, the letter "A" mysteriously carved into her chest. June 2012. Veronica Aimee Whitby, the eighteen-year-old descendant and virtual double of the first Aimee, becomes the victim of a near perfect copycat murder. With another beautiful, promising young Whitby woman slain, the media begin to swarm and pressure builds for Mike McCabe and Maggie Savage to bring the killer quickly to justice. But the key to solving Aimee's death just might have been buried with her beautiful ancestor.… (more)

James Hayman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,746,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible