The Walking Dead, Volume 24: Life and Death…

The Walking Dead, Volume 24: Life and Death

by Robert Kirkman

This is a truly great arc for The Walking Dead. While it is the same basic set up as previous encounters - new civilization/way of living found that is at odds with the characters we're following - The Whisperers are novel in that they aren't truly doing anything wrong per se. Their territory was invaded, their people were killed, and so they retaliated accordingly and have done all they can to de-escalate the situation. It's Carl who has escalated it, and now more...

This volume is following in suit with similarly strong storytelling. Characters are getting better developed, and the philosophy of The Whisperers is better articulated. We learn more about what our group is trying to accomplish, where Michonne has been over the years, and how Ezekiel has been holding up. We learn more about Eugene as well, an unsung hero of our survivors. Maggie makes some tough choices. The soap opera continues with considerably more uh... gore than these things usually have.

The ending had me set down the book for a good few minutes to let it all sink in. Man. [a: Robert Kirkman|12425|Robert Kirkman|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1238103316p2/12425.jpg] has some wonderful pacing. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
You think you know. You feel comfortable in guessing. But you don't know. And you shouldn't guess. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Alexandria is holding a trading fair and people from surrounding towns arrive. When Maggie and her crew get to Alexandria they immediately tell Rick that Carl is off in the wilderness, probably travelling with the Whisperers. He, Andrea, Michonne and Dante mount up to try and bring Carl home.

This volume expands on the Whisperers storyline, and also catches us up with various residents of the towns. We even get an update on Negan who is still in the jail in Rick’s basement. There was a rather shocking ending to this volume, one which I suspect will have Rick and his people marching off to war once again.

I really like this new storyline, it has revved up the intensity of the series and has interested me in getting back on the zombie train once again. I’m looking forward to Volume 26! ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jun 8, 2016 |
This volume continues the ongoing story of survivors at various communities working to make something close to a normal life while working through the emotional devastation of the zombie apocalypse. They also have to deal with threats such as the Whisperers, an insurgency at Hilltop, and an imprisoned Negan's mind games. Then there's a shocking conclusion! It's a good, nuanced story, and one of the better installments in the series. ( )
  Othemts | Feb 23, 2016 |
Wow so this story arc started off pretty boring. Lots of talk, lots of community politics - I guess I couldn't expect anything else considering everyone lives in an organised semi-built up community now.

Not sure what to make of "The Whisperers" - I find it hard to believe that 'alpha' would just let her daughter Lydia just join Rick's community I was expecting her to be more possessive.

I am glad Michonne is back, nice to see her - so glad she wasn't one of the unfortunates who lost their head to a spike at the end. That ending though.. was not expecting it though I am glad a few of the most annoying characters are no longer with us.

Damn now I have to wait a month for every single issue that comes out... not the same when you can read all of them back to back! ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |

What level of threat do the Whisperers pose to the communities' safety? Carl's not waiting around to find out. Also, the return of Michonne.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,319,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible