Abomination by Gary Whitta

Abomination

by Gary Whitta

Hmmm... I am not quite sure what it is about this story... but I think I quite enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I'm playing Dragon Age and Indra just acts like fem-Hawke would it my head? Or maybe the first 10% of the story it's just shades of Diablo (the game)? Or maybe it just reminds me of Ladyhawke (haha just not the way you think)? Tropes much?

Well whatever it is/was, it was done well enough that I enjoyed reading it and getting to the (rather tidy and convenient but somehow that didn't really make me twitch) end.

Maybe I just found myself enamoured with Wulfric's martyrlike complex.

Maybe. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
During King Alfred's reign, after a prolonged war with the "barbarians" of the north, there is finally peace in England. However, there are whisperings that the barbarians may be gearing up for another attack, and that is when a collection of scrolls written in an archaic, unfamiliar language is discovered. Once the scrolls are deciphered by the King's priest, they discover the ability to transform common animals into vicious, mutant monsters. Abominations. However, once it is discovered that they are difficult to control, and the priest's motives become more singular, things quickly begin to spiral out of hand.

Though I've said it many times, I don't think I've ever been quite so torn on whether or not I've liked a novel. The story is great, so great in fact that if I was rating it individually I'd give it an easy 5 stars. I really liked the characters too! Unfortunately, there were too many little things that got on my nerves, or that simply made no sense. For example, initially the abominations are described as horrid monsters, but 20 pages into the book, the author starts describing them as "2-headed snakes" and "wolves with 6 legs." My mental images of these creatures went from vivid, horrific beasts to generic fantasy creatures.

There were many other issues too. For example, a character is described as being on a journey that has lasted 10 months, but when they send a message for help from home they arrive in a single day. Things like this, things I can't describe without spoiling the story, happened constantly, and numerous times I found my frustration at the inconsistencies overriding my enjoyment of the story.

I really do have a love-hate relationship with this book I really WANT to like it, and I do still myself rather enthusiastic about it. It's a cool concept, a compelling story, and I loved the grim atmosphere of the whole thing. I just can't overlook all its flaws. Had the author spent a bit more time ironing out the kinks, or had the editor been more diligent, this may have been a 5-star book for me. Unfortunately, it just isn't quite there. ( )
1 vote Ape | Jun 23, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Promoted as an alternate Medieval England with magic, this could have taken place everywhere in Fantasy-land. (Especially since most of this kind of fantasy settings are England anyway). I may sound a bit harsh but I was really disappointed as I expected more of a historical fantasy thriller kind of book.

Wulfric, after fighting the terrible abominations and defeating their master, is himself turned into an abomination of a greater scale: he transforms every night into one and goes on a killing spree. Apparently, he's also immortal

This book was so slow! I had to really get myself to read it every time again. There were some times that it felt like maybe it was getting better at last, but in the end it never did. The premise was interesting enough. I think it's partly because it felt like a very long book for the story it told in the end. Also, I never felt a real connection to the characters. And the ending, it was super convenient and had me facepalm multiple times. This book was clearly not for me.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Was one of the backers on Inkshare

The book has an interesting take on the fantasy genre by mixing it with a bit of Cthulhu.

The only reason why it doesn't get top score from me is that it sometimes has a bit too much "filler" description of the locations and the inner thoughts of the characters that isn't moving the story forward.
  SimonLarsen | Oct 22, 2015 |
Abomination is a mashup of History and Fantasy. In a way, it starts out as an alternative history or at least a Fantasy explanation of certain events. However, it didn't take long before it veered away from the history of 9th century England into pure Fantasy Fiction. It was full of anachronisms, and many of the characters had highly modern attitudes that were flat out ridiculous in the historical setting. However, most of the story itself, especially the plot, was enjoyable and made me think of the "Diablo" video games I love to play.

If you've never played any of the "Diablo" games, then just know that they're dark, gritty, and graphic, and they involve demonic possession and all the horrors that come along with it. That is Abomination in a nutshell, and it's not for anyone who doesn't enjoy horror or is easily bothered by graphic violence.

A little over halfway through the book, the story took an unexpected turn that I can't explain without giving away an important detail not mentioned in the synopsis. However, after that, it quickly became extremely predictable, and each turn of events grew more and more implausible and convenient. I became antsy and impatient for the ending, so as much as I enjoyed over half of the book, I would have rather been playing "Diablo" during the last third or so. If you enjoy playing "Diablo" or reading Dark Fantasy, maybe give this book a chance. Perhaps you'll feel differently than I did about the second half. ( )
  FortifiedByBooks | Oct 8, 2015 |
Judge not, and you will not be judged.
Condemn not, and you will not be condemned.
Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
—Luke 6:37
For my wife and daughter.
Alfred was tired.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,022,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible