The Five Times I Met Myself by James L.…

The Five Times I Met Myself

by James L. Rubart

The Five Times I Met Myself by James L. Rubart is a recommended novel with a Christian based message.

Brock Matthews’ life looks like it is going great from the outside. He is part owner of a family owned multimillion dollar coffee importing business. He is married and has a teenage son. The problem is that his marriage is in trouble, he's distant from his son, and the business is in trouble according to his brother, the majority owner of the company. Brock has been having some strange dreams too, featuring his late father. He needs to find a way to change the course of his life.

When Brock shares the fact he is still having troubling dreams with a friend, his friend gives him a book on lucid dreaming. Brock begins to put into practice the information and techniques in the book and starts to control his dreams. He goes back in time and talks to his younger self, his father, and his wife and shares advice. When he discovers that the dream conversations are affecting his real life, he also notices that the change isn't for the better.

In the end, Rubart presents a valuable and clear message about loving your family and others. But the main, essential message is the importance of totally surrendering to and relying on God completely. The inspirational message will appeal to those who enjoy Christian fiction.

I have no problem with Christian fiction, but I did have a few quibbles with this novel. The Five Times I Met Myself is a well written novel but, for me, there was a pacing problem. It seemed to drag at times and I also agree with the Kirkus review that the structure of Brock's dreams felt repetitive. And, while we're on the subject of the lucid dreaming, it is an interesting premise, but it wasn't an entirely successful plot element for me, especially combined with Brock's less-than-believable character.

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of Thomas Nelson for review purposes. ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
I am reading this book because a little voice in the back of my head told me I just might get something out of it. Right now I just am incredulous regarding the authors business savy. What multinational company does not issue monthly financials? Even if it is privately owned! I've worked for an s corporation and the mack daddy of them all Coca Cola and I can not swallow that one of the partners would be so naive! I'm ready to toss the book. Not only is the business end fantasy land the writing is sophomoric. But I'll give it another couple of chapters.

Took back to library with out finishing. Too many other books on my night stand.
  Alphawoman | Dec 5, 2015 |
GOODNESS! Now did that not pack a punch!?! The Five Times I Met Myself just gave me an image of how one's destiny is not really what you can control. Life is made of choices you've made, and you may learn from it, but ultimately only God can see our lives as a whole. Good or bad, there's no turning back. And even if you can, what are the consequences? An image of the "connections" we have. Our lives are connected with others. Our choices not only affect us, but how it interacts and affects others, sometimes it's seen and known, sometimes it's not, and the ripple effect of choices may not even be fathomable.

For the full review: http://justcommonly.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-five-times-i-met-myself-really.html

NOTE: I received a complimentary copy of this book through Litfuse Publicity Group for an honest review. ( )
  justcommonly | Nov 30, 2015 |
This story deals with the chances of time travel through dreams. What would you change, what would you leave the same, what would you do to better your life and those around you? Brock Matthews has a chance to do all of this, however he doesn’t quite know how or what to change each time he goes back.

This story wrestles quite a bit with mortality, religion and family. Brock and his brother Ron are the owners of a very successful Coffee business. Although the dollars are raking in the millions, their relationship is fraying to the point of inaudible mumblings a handful of times a week as they awkwardly pass each other in the halls on their way to the respective office to shut out the world and focus on making more millions. This has always been their relationship. Ron is younger than Brock but somehow he always manages to be better at everything they do.

Brock’s marriage is also falling apart as he focuses more and more of his time on his business instead of his family. His wife is slowly pulling away from him and his son the same. Brock cannot seem to figure out how to stop or change this from happening. All of this is enough to cripple any sane man, but wait, there’s more. A dream is plaguing Brock. For the past 5 days his father has visited his dreams and he’s trying to tell him something Brock feels is very important. Somethings that will help him understand how to fix everything. Brock receives a book on “Lucid Dreaming” from his friend and gives it a try. Once Brock learns to master the art of Lucid Dreaming he then realizes that after every dream he is in fact changing the course of his future, and mostly for the worse.

Joseph_Stelmaszek | Nov 29, 2015 |
Title: The Five Times I Met Myself
Author: James L. Rubart
Pages: 388
Year: 2015
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
What would you do if you could go back in time? Would you change anything? Brock Matthews has that experience via his dreams. He begins to have a nightmare involving his deceased father for five nights in a row. He visits his best friend who gives him a book on lucid dreaming which claims that the dreamer can learn to control his dreams and thereby stop the nightmare from occurring. Brock reads the book, finds it intriguing and gives it a try. What happens next…well, you’ll have to read the book to find out!
Brock’s life, in addition to his nightmare, is falling apart. His world famous coffee company that he runs with his brother is on the verge of bankruptcy, his wife is very distant and aloof and at his high school reunion an old girlfriend makes an appearance and an impression on Brock. Brock also has some guilt over the way his relationship with his father stood at the time of his father’s death. In addition, he has always felt his father loved his brother more and has been very competitive with his brother in just about everything. He and his brother have a lot of tension in their relationship. What if he could change things? Brock has always viewed himself as a Christian, and he is sure he knows God’s plan for him.
This was a very interesting concept of redemption and healing. I’ve read other books by this author and really enjoyed them. The regrets about the past and the wishing for a “do-over” in some situations really rang true for me. I liked the faith elements in the story as well as the realistic struggles Brock encountered. The emotions evoked from grief to laughter were something else that engaged me in the story. I’m looking forward to the next intriguing story from the pen of this author!
My rating is 4 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Nov 20, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,028,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible