An Amish Christmas Gift: Three Amish…

An Amish Christmas Gift: Three Amish Novellas

by Amy Clipston

Other authors: Kelly Irvin (Contributor), Ruth Reid (Contributor)

Series: Amish Christmas Gift (Omnibus)

Friday, November 27, 2015
An Amish Christmas Gift by Amy Clipston, Ruth Reid, and Kelly Irvin, © 2015

My Review of the three novellas in An Amish Christmas Gift:

Naomi's Gift by Amy Clipston
Naomi King is happily tending the quilt stand with her friend in the indoor farmers market as Caleb Schmucker's driver comes near the market. They are on their way to his sister's for Christmas. His young daughter, Susie, asks to stop to take her aenti Sadie a pie. Amid the English and Amish shoppers, Caleb and his daughter are separated and he frantically searches everywhere for her. Susie is comfortable where she is. She has found a maroon Lone Star quilt like the one her mamm had made in blues and creams, and heads for it.
Thankful to be reunited, Caleb, Susie, and their gift pie continue on to his eldest sister's home.
Happily content with her cousins, Susie is enjoying the many activities and a chance to interact with her new freind Naomi again. Susie had lost her mamm in an accident two Christmases earlier.
Her aenti is not so excited to have Susie make the connection with Naomi and steers her brother away every time he seems to get too close. She has plans of her own for her widowed younger brother. This includes his returning to their district in Pennsylvania, and leaving his home in Ohio behind. Caleb had plans for visiting as he always had for the holidays. That is, until he talks to Naomi and feels perhaps his life can go on, with new dreams.
I enjoyed this story of Naomi being true to herself and following God when talk and speculation of her motives are going on around her.
"I know the plans that I have for you, declares the LORD. They are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a future filled with hope. Then you will call to me. You will come and pray to me, and I will hear you." Jeremiah 29:11-12
Have your intentions been judged by others when they are only seeing the external? Other people involved walk off while you are left with the tale-wagging? Thankfully, our Lord sees our hearts and motives. I admired Naomi for standing for right regardless of those avoiding her. Reminds me of the Pharisees who questioned Jesus.
I can just imagine all the feelings Caleb felt climbing the stairs in his childhood home passed down between four generations. Joy awaits.

An Unexpected Joy by Ruth Reid
Abigail Kemp and Micah Zook's grandmother have come together in an inspiring way. Needing care, Mrs. Zook has welcomed Abigail into her life and heart, after first feeling she didn't need anyone to assist her. Is there more for Abigail, as well? Content she is not to marry, she is busy with her hand work and bakery items. Thankful for her giftings, Abigail is readily available to become Mrs. Zook's companion.
A couple drawbacks, so you know, Abigail is known to be quite talkative and forward, a little uncertain what will happen when you approach her ~ at least, that's what the thought is around town. No one could get a word in edgewise. Oh, well, possibly it will come in handy somewhere...
In the wintry snow, Abigail trudges through to Edith Zook's hearth, unaware of the warmth she will find there. When we open our hearts, our mouth speaks our desires. She confesses she has no one to share her words with. Edith's sweet and comforting words, along with correct direction and advice, are heard by Abigail and entered into her life. Such a sweet story of hope and following through on what we say ~ even from the deepest parts of our being. She is receiving and forgiving, an aid in true gathering of hearts and home.

A Christmas Visitor: An Amish Christmas Gift Novella by Kelly Irvin
Frannie Mast returns to Bee County for Christmas, but her heart stays back in Missouri with an Englisch farm boy.
Unknown to Frannie, decisions may come forth this Christmas she never imagined ~ knowing her true heart. Wondering if what she left behind is what she is to look forward to, Frannie heads to Texas from Missouri to her aenti Abigail and onkel Mordecai's home. Eager to see her cousins, Frannie still has some misgivings of what she might miss at home. Will Abigail fit in, with her thoughts miles away?
An unexpected guest appears at dinnertime with an uncertain welcome. Rocky Sanders from back in Jamesport ~ well, from his visits to the restaurant and bakery where Abigail had been a waitress. He was a long way from home just to be moseying.
Prepare to be surprised what the ending of summer's heat, autumn's beginning, into the cold of winter brings to Mordecai King's farm. Changes of heart and home.
I have read the first two books in the Amish of Bee County series, The Beekeeper's Son and The Bishop's Son, and thoroughly enjoyed them! Looking forward to the third book in the trilogy.
The auction was one of my favorite parts of A Christmas Visitor, and the children's Christmas program coming out from behind the white sheet. Memories of my own!

***Thank you to BookLook Bloggers for this review copy of An Amish Christmas Gift. This review was written in my own words. No other compensation was received.*** ( )
  lanehillhouse | Nov 28, 2015 |
I love reading books from some of my favorite authors. In this collection you are treated to three very gifted authors with their own unique writing style that will have you glued to the pages. They are each different stories but capture the true feeling of family and unconditional love .

In Naomi's Gift by Amy Clipston is a charming story of a widower named Caleb and his precious seven year old daughter Susie. They stop at a charming farmers market to pick up a pie. Caleb has returned to his hometown and is a bit nervous seeing his family after a long time away. Susie runs to the counter and starts talking to Naomi. Through their conversation, Naomi learns that Susie's mom has passed away. Her heart is quickly drawn to this sweet child. As Caleb and Susie leave the store, she wonders if she will ever see them again. Was there a bit of attraction between Caleb and Naomi? The story is very nicely written about hope, love and new beginnings.

An Unexpected Joy by Ruth Reid is where we meet Abilgail "Abby" Kemp. Some call her Gabby Abby because she is always talking. Do you know someone like that? Abby believe that God has given her the gift of talking and doesn't see what all the fuss is about. Poor Abby can't even have more than one date with a boy. I guess they don't like a lot of chatter and soon grow tired of her constant banter. Now when Abby becomes quiet , there is always a reason to worry. It reminds me of when my children were growing up. If it became very quiet in their bedroom, I knew they were up to something. What would make Abby become so quiet?

She takes on a job of looking after Micha's grandmother and seems to be enjoying the time she spends with his grandmother. They grow close and I enjoyed the tender moments they shared as the grandmother gave her words of wisdom and encouragement. Something happens one day that will cause Abby to get hurt by Micah . Will this cause Abby to feel judged? Can they look past their disagreement and find happiness? I loved the message in this story about making quick judgments and then learning that you were wrong. I wonder if we know that our words or judgmental attitude hurt someone ? You will enjoy this story of reconciliation , forgiveness and learning to see people for who they truly are.

A Christmas Visitor by Kelly Irvin we are introduced to Frannie Mast. She left her home to come and stay with relatives . She left everything behind including a young man she loved. As hard as it was to leave she felt she had to. They come from different backgrounds . She is Amish and he is Englisch. But I guess true love does have a mind of its own. Rocky follows Frannie to her aunt and uncle's place to convince Frannie they should be together. I have always heard that opposites attract. Do you think that is true? Will love conquer all? I loved this story about true love, determination and looking past differences to find true happiness.

The three stories in this book are each filled with a great message of family, love , hope and happiness. Isn't that what Christmas is about?

I received a copy of this book from The a Fiction Guild for an honest review. ( )
  Harley0326 | Nov 22, 2015 |
When the hectic pace of the holidays start to get a bit too much, take some quiet time and read An Amish Christmas Gift!
These three stories are short, sweet and the perfect way to find a bit of relaxation during the holiday season. I guarantee when you're done, you'll walk away smiling! :)

Thank you to Thomas Nelson Publishing and Netgalley for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  mrsrenee | Nov 3, 2015 |
Three wonderful quick reading novella’s that once you start you won’t be able to put down, of course, these are by three of my favorite authors and that made them even more special.
Amy Clipston’s story, Naomi’s Gift, brings us back with the Kauffman’s and we are reunited with Naomi King, and if you have read the previous books you are about to groan. This Naomi is a more mature and grown up version, and although she has a terrible reputation to live down, we find ourselves rooting for her this time.
The next story is An Unexpected Joy by Ruth Reid and again you are quickly drawn into this story. A young woman that doesn’t know when to shut up! She made me feel that she was a nervous, and need to hear her own words. Even her own mother would buzz her like a bunch of bees. You can see Micah groan as she runs her words on and on, and you wish this sweet girl would just hold her tongue.
This book has a bit of everything, including possible shunning, and war injuries, and living your life as you feel God wants you to.
The final story is by Kelly Irvin, A Christmas Visitor, and we are back in Texas and Bee County.
Fannie’s family has sent from Missouri to Texas to help her retain her faith and stay Amish, and not loose her who life to an Englisher Rocky.
You can probably figure out what happens, and much to her Aunt’s chagrin Rocky shows up in this rural Amish Community. Now what, will Fannie, finally leave what she loves and leave with Rocky, or will Rocky put down roots here?
Again a very hard story to put down, you need to keep reading to the last page for all the answers.
Three Christmas stories that will warm your heart!
I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Thomas Nelson and was not required to give a positive review ( )
  alekee | Oct 10, 2015 |
An Amish Christmas Gift (various authors) is a lovely book to read. It contains three Christmas stories that will put you in the mood for Christmas (makes me want snow too)! The first story is Naomi’s Gift by Amy Clipston. Caleb Schmucker is a widower with a little girl named Susie. They are visiting his family in Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania from Middlefield, Ohio. They stop to pick up a pie (because Susie was told that you should always take a gift to the hostess when visiting). Susie stops to look at quilts on display and meets Naomi King. Susie is instantly taken with Naomi and so is her father. The two continue to meet while Caleb is on vacation. But will Sadie, his interfering sister, get in the way of his happiness?

An Unexpected Joy by Ruth Reid is the second story. Abigail Kemp is twenty-three and not married. She earns money by baking but has found it difficult using the family horse to deliver her items to town (five miles away). Abigail has decided to save up for a horse and is getting close to her goal. When Abigail goes to deliver her latest items, the store is unable to take them. Abigail was seen talking to her cousin, Malinda Lambright. Malinda’s family is close to being shunned and the community is to avoid them. Then Abigail hears Micah Zook needs a caregiver for his grandmother. Abigail believes it is the perfect solution. Micah was looking to hire Abigail’s sister, Elizabeth to watch his grandmother, Edith while he works on his glassblowing orders. Abigail is something of a chatterbox (as well as pushy and determined). Micah ends up hiring her and has no idea what is in store for him! Micah’s quiet life is about to be turned upside down!

Kelly Irvin’s A Christmas Visitor is set in Bee County, Texas. Frannie Mast has been sent to live with Abigail and Mordecai. Her parents wanted her to get away from an Englisch influence. Then one night Richard “Rocky” Sanders shows up. He is the Englisch influence. Abigail and Rocky are in love with each other, but Frannie will not leave the Amish faith. Rocky does love Frannie, but he is also needing a change. He feels that something is missing in his life. Can Rocky find what is missing in Bee County, Texas? Will there be a happy ending for Frannie and Rocky?

I enjoyed all three stories in An Amish Christmas Gift. They can be read as part of their series (like Kelly Irvin’s The Amish of Bee County) or by themselves. All three are very well written with quaint settings and charming characters. The first story, Naomi’s Gift is the longest and takes up most of the book. The other two stories are shorter but just as good. A Christmas Visitor will have you laughing throughout the story. I give An Amish Christmas Gift 5 out of 5 stars. I like reading stories that are heartwarming and contain no foul language or sex. An Amish Christmas Gift contains some good messages and will definitely put you in the mood for Christmas.

I received a complimentary copy of An Amish Christmas Gift from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Oct 7, 2015 |

Amy Clipstonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Irvin, KellyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reid, RuthContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Naomi’s Gift by Amy Clipston

Naomi has started to think that she isn’t meant to find love, but she might receive more than she ever hoped for this Christmas.

Twenty-four-year-old Naomi King, who has been burned twice by love, has all but given up on marriage and children. As Christmas approaches—a time of family, faith, and hope for many others—Naomi is more certain than ever her life will be spent as an old maid, helping with the family’s quilting business and taking care of her eight siblings. Then she meets Caleb, a young widower with a 7-year-old daughter, and her world is once again turned upside-down.

An Unexpected Joy by Ruth Reid

Abigail has driven other suitors away, but can Micah find a way to show her he cares?

Abigail Kemp has managed to frighten off every bu who’s ever driven her home from a singing. Sure she will live to be an old maid, Abigail starts saving her money to buy a horse so she can at least have some independence.

Micah Zook is looking for a caregiver for his grandmother, and Abigail needs a new job. He never expected that Abigail would talk so much . . . or that his grandmother would keep finding ways to set the two of them up.

Despite Abigail’s constant chatter, she and Micah become friends—until Micah makes a decision that leaves Abigail feeling betrayed. With Christmas in their midst, can Micah find a way to reconcile with Abigail and to reveal what’s on his heart?

A Christmas Visitor by Kelly Irvin

Frannie knows her parents have the best of intentions when they send her back to Bee County, Texas, to live with her aunt Abigail and her husband Mordecai. After all, she knows nothing can come of a relationship with Rocky, the handsome but Englisch farmer boy back in Missouri. It’s best to put those feelings aside, no matter how hard it is. But all bets are off when Rocky follows Frannie to Texas to plead his case. Could he be the Christmas gift to end all gifts?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 01 Sep 2015 07:10:38 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,062,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible