The Price They Paid: Enduring Wounds Of War…

The Price They Paid: Enduring Wounds Of War

by Michael Putzel

421,664,912 (4.5)None
Recently added byDoondeck, LamSon, LAWonder10, Darcia

This was an interesting, well-written account of only a very few examples of the sacrifice so many made in defending our nation. Not only the individual serving but also the type of impact it had on their loved ones.
The setting is the Vet Nam War. Although a key character is James T. Newman, many other characters are included. This author has done extensive research on James Newman and several of his "group". It is an account which should be included in history books.
This non-fiction covers James T. Newman's life before and after serving in the Viet Nam era. It describes how daily many thousands put their life on the line in faith they were serving their country and defending freedom. It touches only briefly of the trust they placed in one another and the devastation many experienced - both physically and mentally.
This is a book many avoid reading because it is factual and fails to "take them away" into fantasy. However, it is the true history most of the youth are not learning about in schools. It is a story we can all read to better appreciate the military and our obligation in return to the individuals there.
We enjoy a free country. Even with its' problems, The U. S. is still the greatest country existing.
This was a well-researched account but written with the detail of a Journalist, it was too much detail for many of us in one book. It would have been better to simply center on James T. Newman and perhaps follow-up with a sequel of those others who served with him. At time is was slightly repetitive.
It does contain some profanity.
This Book was sent to me in exchange for an honest review, of which I have given. ( )
  LAWonder10 | Aug 3, 2015 |
For some people, Vietnam was a long time ago, a blip in history that has given way to current day concerns. For others, it remains a deeply embedded scar on their psyche. For all of us, it should be more than a lesson on war tactics. It should be a lesson on the incredible emotional toll war takes on the men and women who serve, as well as the people who love them.

The author has put together a precise, compelling account of life as a Condor, doing battle via helicopter, during the Vietnam War. This is an easy read, as far as writing style. The author engages us, pulls us in, show us in unflinching honesty what occurred. This is not an easy read as far as content. We have all the action of the best military thriller, but the details are quite real.

We often forget that the majority of people in combat were barely into adulthood. Many went from living with their parents, with curfews and homework, straight into a terrifying world of chaos and gunfire. We see the heroic acts of terrified young men as they fight for survival, even as they struggle to shed their youthful innocence.

This book centers around Jim Newman, a career military man who rose through the ranks and risked his life countless times in order to save his men. I can't say that I liked the man. I didn't. At least, I didn't like the man the war turned him into. No doubt something broke within him during his time at war. He became a shadow of himself, or perhaps someone else entirely.

The information on PTSD from the personal perspective of these men is profound. There is so much we don't know about the after effects of trauma, and this book goes a long way toward teaching us.

An interesting aspect also touched upon here is the adrenaline addiction. These men live on the edge, sleepless, always running, battling, hyper-aware. Then suddenly they are released and expected to live the sedate life of an average citizen. Many find that this sudden shift is a boredom they can't handle. I see this to a lesser extent in my husband. He served in our first Gulf War and he still misses that adrenaline high.

For us readers, the suffering ends when we close the book. For many of those who have fought and are now fighting our wars, the suffering never ends. Isn't it time we did better by these men and women?

*I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.* ( )
  Darcia | Jul 28, 2015 |

THE PRICE THEY PAID is the stunning and dramatic true story of a legendary helicopter commander in Vietnam and the flight crews that followed him into the most intensive helicopter warfare ever—and how that brutal experience has changed their lives in the forty years since the war ended. • Nine million Americans served in the military during the Vietnam era. • 2.6 million of them served in Vietnam • Fewer than a million of those saw combat. • In 2015, 58,300 names were listed on The Wall as killed or still missing. • More than 300,000 were wounded. Reliable statistics aren’t available to tell us how many died later due to exposure to Agent Orange, suicide, traumatic brain injury or other causes probably related but not directly traceable to their combat service. No one knows how many are scarred by PTSD or other mental illness. THE PRICE THEY PAID shares the true story of aviators in one helicopter unit and how their harrowing experiences forever changed their lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 22 Jul 2015 04:17:04 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible