Down From the Mountain by Courtney Allen

Down From the Mountain

by Courtney Allen

I freely chose to review this book although its genre is not one of my favorites. I was moved by the story of two orphaned children whose aunt and uncle gave them a home in a hard and unforgiving land in Georgia. When Clara ends up pregnant, she sneaks away as if it were known who impregnated her the Stanton family would be scandalized. Clara's younger brother tells their story in it's compelling story to make readers be grateful for what they have. ( )
  Linda.Bass | May 13, 2017 |
Down From the Mountain has a very authentic feel; I was all but convinced this was truly the memoir of a man looking back from his old age in the last part of the 20th century to the hard times of his youth in northern Georgia. It's right up there with Gap Creek, Thirteen Moons, and Adams' My Old True Love, three of my favorite works of historical fiction set in the Appalachians.

Disclosure: I received a gift copy of this book from the author. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review, thank you Courtney. In addition to the book, Courtney Allen also included a lovely flower bookmark and a beautifully written note telling me about himself and his love of writing. After reading his note I knew that I was going to love his book.
This wonderful story starts in 1901 on Fort Mountain and is told by Silas McCarter in a poetic voice. He and his sister Clara, Uncle Troy, Aunt Bly, along with other characters are very well developed and I was hooked after reading page one. This story about life in the Appalachia Mountains is meaningful and satisfying and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get lost within the pages of this engrossing and lyrical novel. ( )
  BarbaraUrban | Nov 18, 2015 |
Down From the Mountain was a gift from the author Courtney Allen after I did not win the Goodreads Giveaway. Thank so much Mr. Allen for the book and the lovely note enclosed with it.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel about life in the Appalachia Mountains in northern Georgia in the early 1900s. It is told in the style of a memoir by the protagonist Silas and was so well done that I checked the back cover and information about the author several times to determine that it was indeed a novel and not the author's memoir. After being orphaned at an early age, Silas and his sister Clara are taken in by their Aunt Bly and Uncle Troy and brought to live on the mountain. They have a hard and difficult life working on the family farm and Mr. Allen's poetic descriptions give you a great sense of what life was like. Clara leaves home when she becomes pregnant, determined to find a less difficult life. Silas finds enjoyment in his books and schooling and remains with his aunt and uncle on the farm. The story is peppered with more action than I was anticipating as a longstanding Stanton - West family feud continues. The characters are very well developed and you definitely get a good sense of what life must have been like at that time. ( )
  kremsa | Aug 19, 2015 |
Down from the Mountain is, at its heart, the story of a family feud. Like many of these tales that have entered the lore they start when one side feels it was wronged by the other and that feeling is passed down from generation to generation until the initiating incident is blown far out of proportion. You end up with a “good” side and a “bad” side and it makes for a great story.

The Stantons live and farm and barely scrape by. Troy and Bly have taken in their niece and nephew after the mysterious death of their parents. Clara is now pregnant and they are trying to hide it from the greater community as she is not married. Clara wants more from life than what she will ever find on the farm. Silas, her younger brother is a bright boy who loves to read and longs to write. When his sister disappears he is confused and it’s his voice that narrates most of the book.

This was a real page turner for me. I read it two short bursts as it was really quite hard to put down. It is written in spare but really wonderful prose. It’s true to its historical period and the characters were well developed and very intriguing. I wouldn’t call it a happy tale but it was a very good book. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Jul 21, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,548,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible