Just One More Thing by Peter Falk

Just One More Thing (2006)

by Peter Falk

When I found out Peter Falk had died, I immediately requested this book from the library. I've recently rediscovered a love of Columbo and have been watching it quite a bit, so I was excited to find Falk's biography. Unlike most biographies, this isn't really a story of his life -- at least not in the true sense. Falk has compiled short stories (designed to be read before bed, as he puts it in the introduction) of his life and experiences, along with lots of pictures. The book is a very quick read, but every minute of it is enjoyable and interesting. I'm glad that I was able to pick up a copy of this book -- and even happier that it even exists. ( )
  callmecayce | Aug 8, 2011 |
Odds and ends from a favorite television staple. Falk seems to have thrown in whatever interested him with some interesting illustration. Not your usual autobiography, but a fun half hour. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Aug 26, 2010 |
Normally, I would have reviewed this for my library, but we don't actually own this in the libraries' collection.

I picked this up on the $1 shelf at a local used bookstore, looking for something light to read during a lunch hour when I had left my normal reading matter at home.

I'm a huge Columbo fan, so that was the biggest selling point of the book, although I've enjoyed Peter Falk in The In-Laws, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, The Princess Bride, and many other movies. In this book, Falk mentions early on that he's a fan of short stories -- snippets that pull you in but don't overwhelm you. That's the philosophy he used when compiling this amusing collection of anecdotes from throughout his career. This book is filled with brief remembrances from Falks life, both during his acting career and prior to that era, when he was still trying to decide what he was going to do with his life.

Falk is a witty storyteller -- very "folksy" in nature -- but in many cases, I wish he had provided more details. I was glad to get to the sections dealing with Columbo, and with Falk's good friend John Cassavetes...they had a bit more "substance".

On the other hand, this was a breezy little bio -- I blew through it in less than two hours total. There are quite a few nice photographic illustrations (both color and B&W), as well as reproductions of some of Falk's artwork. The whole book could've been packaged a bit "tighter" and come out at only 2/3 the size (and cover price), but overall I enjoyed it.

I've been sad to read about Falk's increasingly evident Alzheimers (first diagnosed in 2008), and am glad he was able to put his memories about a lengthy film career down in a book like this before they slipped away. One strong point about the book is that it is definitely written in Falk's "voice" -- it really does feel like he's a storyteller sitting down with you and sharing a few stories...some funny and some heartwarming.

Overall...a fun read but not very substantial. ( )
  cannellfan | Sep 2, 2009 |
Rather than an autobiography, Peter Falk simply offers "stories from his life." There is little rhyme or reason to the stories included -- no overarching theme or self-revelation. Instead, they share certain similarities: they are entertaining and brief, never more than a couple of pages long.

For someone seeking biographical information on the famous actor, this book provides only fleeting glimpses. Instead, it is like a fantastic family meal, in which story after story is shared -- but unlike most family stories, you'll want to enjoy another and another of Falk's tidbits.

Certainly, Falk hits the high points, offering stories from his movie career, including choice observations about such Hollywood types as Marlon Brando and John Cassavetes. And there are several stories dedicated to Falk's most famous role, Lt. Columbo. The often-told tales of Columbo's raincoat and Peugeot are retold (and still entertaining), but notable is the short section on what Falk describes as the most difficult component of the shows long-term success -- finding an intriguing piece of evidence around which each case revolved.

The book is enjoyably written, clearly in Falk's distinctive voice. It is a passing enjoyment, well worth the brief time it takes to read these stories, especially for Falk's fans. Nothing more, but nothing less either. ( )
  ALincolnNut | Aug 4, 2008 |
Wonderful, not a big book, but each chapter is funny with great pictures and even drawings from the author ( )
  picture | Sep 3, 2007 |
To my lovely wife,
the light of my life,
and all the dogs
It was 1955. I was 28 and I had decided to become an actor. I told my father and he said, "You gonna paint your face and make an ass of yourself for the rest of your life?" I said, "That's right." He shook my hand and said good luck.

In Just One More Thing Peter Falk — award-winning actor — takes us behind-the-scenes into his professional and private life. Starting in Hartford, where he worked as a management analyst for the Connecticut State Budget Bureau., Falk was no more successful than at an earlier attempt to work with the CIA. He then turned to an old college interest: acting. Falk came to prominence in 1956 in the successful Off-Broadway revival of The Iceman Cometh. Although he worked continuously for the next three years, a theatrical agent advised him not to expect much work in motion pictures because of his glass eye. Surgeons had removed his right eye, along with a malignant tumor, when he was three years old.

But in 1958, Falk landed his first movie, Murder Incorporated, and was nominated for an Oscar. A Pocketful of Miracles garnered his second Oscar nomination, but it was through his collaboration with filmmaker John Cassavetes that Falk entered into his most creative period in 1970 when movies such as A Woman Under the Influence helped launch the independent film movement.

Through television, however, Falk reached his widest audience — portraying the inimitable Lieutenant Columbo throughout the 1970s and winning four Emmys.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:24 -0400)

The Academy Award-nominated actor best known for his work on the television show "Columbo" humorously relates stories from his past, covering his early attempts at employment, the loss of his right eye, and his Hollywood and Broadway achievements.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,115,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible