Haunted: Otherworld: Bk 5 by Kelley…

Haunted: Otherworld: Bk 5 (edition 2005)

by Kelley Armstrong

Member:Kalika
Title:Haunted: Otherworld: Bk 5
Authors:Kelley Armstrong
Info:Spectra (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages

Haunted by Kelley Armstrong

English (53)  Dutch (1)  All languages (54)
I wasn't sure that I would like this book. But really I did enjoy getting to know Eve, and her motivations. But my heart broke that she couldn't do more with Savanah. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Even as a ghost, Eve has a lot to learn. The ending was trite and shouldn't have worked out as easily as it did. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Haunted
3 Stars

As a half-demon / half-witch, Eve Levine lived her life in the fast lane with little care for the consequences of her actions. Now that she is dead, not much has changed. When the Fates call in a favor, Eve agrees to hunt down and capture an evil spirit wrecking havoc on the living world, but things aren’t as easy as they seem and Eve will have to call on all her resources if she is to outwit the tricky Nix…

Good world building as always and an entertaining plot, but Eve is not a likable heroine and her romance with Kristoff is lukewarm.

The mystery in this installment is one of the more gripping in the series. The Nix is a formidable foe and the inclusion of details concerning historical crimes adds extra nuance to the story. Another positive element is the updates on secondary characters. Paige, Lucas & Savannah are becoming a family and Jaime’s painful crush on Jeremy is so cute.

The most significant problem with the book is the need for readers to suspend their disbelief and accept that Eve and Kristoff, who have been ethically challenged to say the least, are now a heroic duo fighting against evil. While Kristoff does manage to redeem himself to a certain extent after sacrificing himself to save his daughter, the same cannot be said of Eve and it is difficult to care one way or the other about what happens to her.

Laural Merlington’s narration is never going to rank amongst my favorites, but I’ve learned to live with it.

All in all, not my favorite book in the series but worth the read. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I enjoyed this story...it was a bit of a branch off from the main groups we've been followed in this series so far, but a few of them pop in at times throughout the story. Personally for me though, having read some of the short stories that preceded this book, I was very happy to see these characters get a final, conclusion to their personal journey AND without pulling a magical twist and undoing all the story arcs from previous books. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
I find that with this author, how much I enjoy a book is completely related to how much I enjoy reading about the characters at the plot's center. In this case, I really just don't care. Neither Eve nor Kristoff made much of an impact on me earlier in the series, and I really did think they were a little more...evil, maybe? If so, their appearance here is much more watered down. The plot of the book is engaging and I liked the historical ties of the demon they were chasing, but I wasn't very impressed with this vision of the afterlife. That may have been purposeful, but it was also just a bit sad. It reminded me of another book I read some time ago where hell was people going through their hustle and bustle lives, as if nothing had changed, without even knowing they were dead. This book wasn't great, and wasn't terrible, it was really just meh. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jul 22, 2017 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Accornero, FrancoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my daughter,
Julia.

Like Eve, I know I'll have to start letting go soon... but I'm not quite ready yet.
Marie-Madeline lit the flame under the bowl.

HAUNTED

Former supernatural superpower Eve Levine has broken all the rules. But she's never broken a promise - not even during the three years she's spent in the Afterworld. So when the Fates call in a debt she gave her word she'd pay, she has no choice but to comply.

For centuries one of the ghost world's wickedest creatures has been loosed on humanity, thwarting every attempt to retrieve her. Now it has fallen to Eve to capture this demi-demon known as Nix, who inhabits the bodies of would-be killers, compelling them to complete their deadly acts. It's a mission that becomes all too personal when the Nix targets those Eve loves most - including Savannah, the daughter she left on Earth. But can a renegade witch succeed where a host of angels have failed?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553587080, Mass Market Paperback)

THE CONTINUING ADVENTURES OF THE SMART, SEXY — SUPERNATURAL — WOMEN OF THE OTHERWORLD

Eve Levine — half-demon, black witch and devoted mother — has been dead for three years. She has a great house, an interesting love life and can’t be killed again — which comes in handy when you’ve made as many enemies as Eve. Yes, the afterlife isn’t too bad — all she needs to do is find a way to communicate with her daughter, Savannah, and she’ll be happy.

But fate — or more exactly, the Fates — have other plans. Eve owes them a favor, and they’ve just called it in. An evil spirit called the Nix has escaped from hell. She feeds on chaos and death, and is very good at persuading people to kill for her. The Fates want Eve to hunt her down before she does any more damage, but the Nix is a dangerous enemy — previous hunters have been driven insane in the process. As if that’s not problem enough, the only way to stop her is with an angel’s sword. And Eve is no angel. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

Eve Levine, who is "half-demon, black witch and devoted mother," must hunt a supernatural creature called the Nix, which possesses people contemplating murder and compels them to finish the deed.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,462,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible