Journey with the Loon by David C. Evers

Journey with the Loon (2014)

by David C. Evers

212,551,640 (4)3
Recently added byRiverCenter, Bookmarque

As a new resident of northern Wisconsin, I was thrilled to find this book in my local library for a couple of reasons. First, it's published by a small press out of Minocqua and second because we have a solitary loon here on the Grandfather flowage. At least there was one earlier this year, but with all the waterskiers, it may have fled in terror. I haven't seen or heard it in a few days. Oh and there's a New Hampshire connection as well as noted by some additional contributors and the inclusion of the Loon Preservation Committee in the resources section. I've been to the LPC center when I lived in NH and purchased one of my favorite prints there; a painting of various bird eggs.

This isn't a comprehensive book about loons; instead it focuses on the annual lifecycle of the common loon, its migration, habitat and activities. Even with a slightly narrow focus, I learned quite a bit about loons. For example nearly all common loons in North America spend their winters on the shores of the United States and Mexico; some traveling a mere 100 miles from summer to winter territories. Those with short commutes are substantially larger than their long-flight counterparts. Their ability to move from a freshwater to a saltwater environment is a wonder of evolution. They also fly wicked fast.

Initially I was stumped by the presence of a single loon on our waterway, but this book helped me figure out what's probably going on. My experience of loons has been in pairs and groups of pairs with babies and this is the norm, but there are many instances of non-breeding adults establishing a home base in waters that don't have breeding pairs already in residence. The Grandfather flowage is not a great breeding habitat for loons, but it's good fishing so I suspect a non-breeding adult is taking advantage.

Included with the books is a short video featuring footage of loons in all seasons and it's a great opportunity to hear loon calls, especially if you've never heard them. The videography is good and the photography is excellent in this book. As a photographer with a kayak I can attest to the challenges of shooting on water, but also the patience it takes to work with wildlife; something I don't have much of. Altogether an enjoyable and inspiring book ( )
  Bookmarque | Jul 27, 2015 |

Explore the wonders of the Common Loon with stunning visuals, complemented by narrative that reveals the hidden life of this entrancing species. Authored by two leading experts on loon biology, this spectacular coffee table book provides a portal into the loon's secret world, following their lives through the seasons. This book also includes a DVD, featuring remarkable footage on loon behavior.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,232,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible