Shattered Blue (The Light Trilogy) by Lauren…

Shattered Blue (The Light Trilogy)

by Lauren Bird Horowitz

Originally published on my blog: The Worn Bookmark
I had been seeing this book around and it sounded really good. When I started reading it it was a little bit slow but the build up of Noa’s character was perfect. She writes beautiful poetry, fills journals of it but keeps it a secret from everyone. She lost her older sister Isla in an accident a few months ago that she feels was her fault. Her little sister Sasha follows her every move and they even sleep in the same bed to be close to each other. Noa’s world completely changes when she meets Callum. The sparks between them are undeniable and literally, Noa sees a flash of light when they first touch.

One of my favorite things about this book is the originality of the fae lore. I haven’t read a lot about fae and faeries but the characteristics and realm of the fae in this book are something I’ve never seen. There are Blue, Red, Green and Clear fae. Blue fae can manipulate the elemental structure of living things. Red fae can read minds. Green fae can manipulate people’s thoughts and emotions. Clear fae don’t have any powers unless they can channel a blue, red or green fae. Things are getting really interesting and then Judah enters. Judah is Callum’s younger brother. Everything is up in the air now that he is here. There are so many twists involving all of the main characters. This book is thrilling and fascinating. I love Noa, Callum and Judah. I really can’t wait to see what happens next in book 2 because there was quite a cliffhanger at the end. ( )
  pennma05 | Jan 29, 2018 |
I loved this story of Noa, Sasha, Callum, and even Judah. The story held my attention throughout, but the last few pages really got me. There were twists in there even I could not see coming, and I have to know more! My dear, dear Sasha... ( )
  annmwilson09 | Aug 9, 2016 |
The audio book was great! A perfect way to reread the book. I really enjoyed the narrator's portrayals of the different characters. It really immersed me into the story that much more. Eagerly awaiting book 2! ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
Received via NetGalley and Skyscape in exchange for an completely unbiased review.
Also posted on Silk & Serif

I'm not usually one for novels about Fae because faeries have never really interested me. I took a risk reading Shattered Blue and I was pleasantly surprised! Horowitz is an extremely lyrical writer with a gift for beautiful poetry. Noa's poems are actually my favourite part of this book because they are so well written. Horowitz's poems actually reminded of the poems I was taught to memorize in grade school: simple, colorful and concise with deep meaning through imagery.
Nomad girls are Lost Ones too,

with leaves at foot and crown;

they too seek shelter in the trees,

drink Red and Gold and Brown.

their circlets made of steam and rain,

their lashes powdered ash,

they’re firelight, they’re fox’s kill,

they’re blood and sweat and scratch.
Shattered Blue was a well written, beautiful story about Noa: the girl with the dead sister, the living twin, the survivor. While struggling to come to grips with the death of her twin sister, Noa falls for the mysterious Callum; a fae who needs human Light to survive. Callum's secrets overflow into Noa's life causing her understanding of reality to change forever. Shattered Blue is a masterpiece of well written young adult literature with gorgeous poetry and strong familial bonds.

Horowitz takes fae lore and makes it her own with war, elected royalty and familial betrayal. She creates types of fae powers that are identified by color codes which was really interesting. Red fae can read minds, Blue can heal and alter elements, Green alter emotions and Clear fae are a unique and exciting plot twist I can't discuss without giving away some of the fun of reading Shattered Blue. I loved how faes all had their own abilities, but also how each type of fae can be born to any family regardless of their parent's color!
The lore of the Fae realm was incredibly exciting and well thought out.
I think the only part of the novel that I really disliked was the love triangle. I hate novels with love triangles and they often ruin what are otherwise amazing novels. I mean, if the main character can't decide they should let go of both love interests instead of hurting those they "love". I have quit series or avoided reading certain novels because of love triangles. Unfortunately, Shattered Blue is sneaky about developing the love triangle so I didn't see it coming until I was well invested. Although Noa fights her feelings, there is the inevitable "I love them both!" scene that makes me want to punch things or throw my e-reader. The love triangle involves brothers which makes it somehow worse than a regular love triangle. To be fair, if you enjoy or don't mind love triangles then you'll be pleased by how well it's executed. I just hate love triangles.

I really enjoyed Shattered Blue because of the flowing writing style, strong characters (other than the deplorable love triangle) and the use of poetry to further develop the plot. The cliffhanger ending has me intrigued for book two. Seriously, this could actually become a new bestselling young adult romance novel.

This book will appeal to readers who enjoy young adult romance novels, books featuring the fae, brother love triangles and paranormal. Be ready for some cliche relationships and some insta-love with some really unique fae lore.

This book is part of the BookSpark Fall Reading Challenge of 2015.
  trigstarom | Jul 9, 2016 |
Shattered Blue by Lauren Bird Horowitz.

I first heard about this book a few months ago and I was looking forward to reading this book after reading the blurb.

This story takes place in a beautiful coastal town in California called Monterey and centers around a young woman named Noa, two mysterious brothers named Callum and Judah and and how life can get complicated when you least expect it.

Noa is reeling from the death of her elder sister Isla who died trying to save her, trying to be a regular student at Harlow Academy, caring for her three year old sister Sasha and trying to keep her family together who seem to be lost in their own grief.

When she meets Callum, she finds herself drawn to him though he does his best to keep her at a distance until he realizes that it's no use. Callum isn't just any teenage boy, he is in fact a Blue Fae from a world called Aurora and has been banished to this world for taking the blame of something he didn't do. His kind need Light to survive which is only available on this side by taking from mortals.

Against the odds, Noa finds herself falling for Callum, accepting he is Fae shortly after he confesses though will soon have her world shaken up even more.

Enter in Judah, Callum's brother who is a Red Fae, has his own secrets, butts heads with Noa, and has come to this side to retrieve his brother. Filled with guilt for what happened to cause banishment and at odds with his Dad who has his own power hungry agenda, he soon realizes that how complicated life can be.

When Callum is kidnapped, Noa and Judah manage to put their differences aside to work together in trying to save him which is easier said than done. They are way in over their head but despite the odds, will realize the importance of friendship, family ties and having faith in yourself.

This book was a fascinating read and I liked the different take on Fae. There was just a glimpse of Aurora and I'd love to read more about it. It sounds like a beautiful world though something needs to be done about Darius who is the ruler and father of Callum, Judah and Lilly (who was the main reason for the banishment).

This book was a captivating of adventure, magic, the power of love, unexpected twists and ends on a cliff hanger which I didn't expected.

It was a pleasure to read this book and I look forward to finding out what happens in the next book. Hopefully there will be more about Aurora and some questions will be answered which cropped up near the end of this book! ( )
  Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |

Noa's sense that the mysteriously attractive new transfer student, Callum, is different proves to be correct when she discovers that he is a Fae, banished from another world and needing human "light" in order to survive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,328,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible