I Woke Up Dead at the Mall by Judy Sheehan

I Woke Up Dead at the Mall

by Judy Sheehan

What happens to teenagers’ souls when they are murdered? Why they go to the Mall of America, of course! There is a special, ethereal fifth level where the teens prepare themselves to “move on,” or into the light if you’re a fan of The Ghost Whisperer.

Sarah Evans is surprised, no shocked, to find herself waking up dead, wearing the same Godawful mango chiffon bridesmaid dress that she was wearing at her father’s wedding. She is surrounded by other teens who have also been murdered. These are teens in her class that are preparing to move forward with the help of a “death coach,” Bertha. If she can’t move on, she’ll suffer a fate worse than death: she’ll become a mall walker. Think zombie.

Once sixteen-year-old Sarah figures out how she died, she is certain that her father is in grave, extremely grave danger. She believes she knows who her killer is and why that certain someone has plans to off Dad.

The story and plot are quirky. I think it’s supposed to be funny, but I didn’t find myself laughing out loud as I’d hoped when I saw the title. Ya gotta love the title. It would be ease to slip into religion, but Sheehan avoids it. Her”God” is the Boy, otherwise known as the “Boss of You.” He wasn’t well developed and came off as flat.

Sometimes languid, sometime spirited, Sarah is the most complex character in the story. I Woke Up Dead at the Mall receives 4 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world. ( )
  juliecracchiolo | Feb 16, 2018 |
This is one of the best books of I've read so far this year. I love the characters, setting and the phasing of the story. This book also made me ponder if there's a truth on life after death. Or if we will also have a chance to choose whether we want to reborn again or to protect once we are ready to move on, just like what happened to the characters in this book.

I really enjoyed reading this and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves light reading and a fast phasing story. If you are looking for something to read that is fun, light and witty; then you must try to add this to your to-read list. ( )
  fugou | Aug 14, 2017 |
I Woke Up Dead at the Mall has a wonderful premise, teenagers from New York that are murdered or can't move on in the afterlife, end up at the Mall of American in Minnesota. Nobody there notices them because the mall is so noisy and busy. Sarah wakes up in the ugly bridesmaid's dress that she was wearing when she died at her father's wedding. She doesn't understand why she is there until Bertha, the death coach, explains to her that she has been murdered and can't move on until she "lets go" of her past life. The rest of the story is about her interactions with some of the other dead teenagers, including a cute boy named Nick, and trying to find out who murdered her and why.
I really enjoyed this story; it had me laughing and crying in equal amounts. The stories the teenagers tell about their deaths tugs at the heartstrings, but it's Sarah's no nonsense attitude and her sarcastic wit that elevates this book to something special. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jul 3, 2016 |
I was fortunate to receive this ARC through a Shelf Awareness newsletter that announced the drawing. I usually don't win, so when I was contacted by Judy Sheehan, the author of I woke Up Dead at the Mall and congratulated, I was thrilled! Now don't be turned off by the title. When I first saw the title and cover, I thought to myself, "Huh... the cover is rather ordinary and that title is weird!" But I put in for the drawing and BAM!
I got the book!

I also got a bookmarks, that I'll be sharing, but the story is about Sarah. A girl who literally died and woke up in Mall of America, a sort of Purgatory. No one could see her. No one could touch her and she had unfinished business. She met an odd woman, Bertha, who gave instructions and left Sarah alone to deal with her death until other young, deceased individuals arrived. Together, they learned the ropes of being dead, shared their stories and eventually... they were to move on. But Sarah wasn't ready- and she had a job to do and needed to use her 'Knowing' to get it accomplished!...
*For the full review: http://bit.ly/1NAJJxM
*Book provided by author Judy Sheehan and Shelf Awareness, for an honest review. ( )
  AReneeHunt | May 19, 2016 |

When Sarah wakes up dead at the Mall of America, she learns that not only was she murdered, her killer is still on the loose. I WOKE UP DEAD AT THE MALL is a terrifically fun & voicey YA novel that tackles some of life’s – and the afterlife’s – biggest questions.

When you’re sixteen, you have your whole life ahead of you. Unless you’re Sarah. Not to give anything away, but . . . she’s dead. Murdered, in fact. Sarah’s murder is shocking because she couldn’t be any more average. No enemies. No risky behavior. She’s just the girl on the sidelines.

It looks like her afterlife, on the other hand, will be pretty exciting. Sarah has woken up dead at the Mall of America—where the universe sends teens who are murdered—and with the help of her death coach, she must learn to move on or she could meet a fate totally worse than death: becoming a mall walker.

As she tries to finish her unfinished business alongside her fellow dead teens, Sarah falls hard for a cute boy named Nick. And she discovers an uncanny ability to haunt the living. While she has no idea who killed her, or why, someone she loves is in grave danger. Sarah can’t lose focus or she’ll be doomed to relive her final moments again and again forever. But can she live with herself if she doesn’t make her death matter?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 21 Jul 2015 19:26:16 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Sarah wakes up dead at the Mall of America only to find she was murdered, and she must work with a group of dead teenagers to finish up the unresolved business of their former lives while preventing her murderer from killing again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,380,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible