Vienna: A Novel by William S. Kirby

Vienna: A Novel

by William S. Kirby

Good enough, but I can't summon up much enthusiasm for this novel. I was initially intrigued by the premise - reimagining Sherlock Holmes and Watson as lesbian lovers in the contemporary world. But the novel didn't feel very "Sherlock"-like to me and so I found this a disappointing read overall. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Dec 30, 2015 |
Although it was an entertaining read, Vienna did not feel like a Sherlock Holmes story to me.
The relationship between Justine and Vienna is well-developed, and I liked how Kirby gave an insight to the thoughts of the female protagonists, but the mannequins mystery was a part that I could not understand very well. I might need to give it a second read, because the murder mystery became a background sub-plot rather than the focus like I thought it would be. Overall, Vienna is an intriguing read that I would recommend to those interested in dramas, thrillers, and even lesbian fiction.

I would like to thank Tor Books for providing me a copy of Vienna through the first-reads giveaway program at Goodreads. ( )
  DoctorFate | Sep 30, 2015 |

It started as nothing more than a one-night stand . . .

What secret do the mannikins hide, and why is it worth killing over?

Drawn together by an attraction neither of them can explain, Justine and Vienna are pursued across Europe by paparazzi, tabloid headlines . . . and the mystery of Vienna's own shadowy past, which holds the key to everything.

Inspired by a classic Sherlock Holmes story, William S. Kirby's Vienna reimagines Holmes and Watson for the 21st century.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 21 Jul 2015 20:15:44 -0400)

"It started as nothing more than a one-night stand. Justine is an A-list fashion model on a photo shoot in Europe. Adored by half the world, she can have whomever she wants, but she's never met anyone like the strange English girl whose bed she wakes up in one morning. Vienna is an autistic savant, adrift in a world of overwhelming patterns and connections only she can see. Socially awkward and inexperienced, she's never been with anyone before, let alone a glamorous supermodel enmeshed in a web of secrets and intrigue. When Justine's current beau is murdered in the bathroom of her hotel room, she suddenly finds herself thrown into the middle of a deadly conspiracy focusing on a set of antique wooden mannikins-the same ones that are the centerpieces of the photo shoot. What secret do the mannikins hide, and why is it worth killing over? Drawn together by an attraction neither of them can explain, Justine and Vienna are pursued across Europe by paparazzi, tabloid headlines, and the mystery of Vienna's own shadowy past, which holds the key to everything. Inspired by a classic Sherlock Holmes story, William S. Kirby's Vienna reimagines Holmes and Watson for the 21st century"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible