Get Out of My Bath! by Britta Teckentrup

Get Out of My Bath!

by Britta Teckentrup

Large, colorful and begging for interaction. This book is about an elephant taking a bath but ends up needing help getting all the other animals out that decided to join him. Elephant needs the readers to help tilt the book this way or that way to splash the animals out.
  Amanda001 | Feb 26, 2017 |
a move-the-book book; elle's in the bath, and other animals get in, too. ( )
  melodyreads | Feb 6, 2017 |
Ellie the Elephant enjoys her bath, until too many animals wish to join the fun. Get Out of My Bath uses the currently popular interactive narrative technique, instructing readers to perform certain actions as part of the plot. This isn’t the most original execution of the interactive concept, and loses some steam part way through, but is a serviceable addition to picture books about bath time. The text lends itself well to a dramatic read aloud and the glossy water illustration makes the pages shine. Teckentrup’s digital illustrations almost take a backseat to this glossy effect, even with the character’s expressive faces. Get Out of My Bath is an enjoyable story, a little silly but a perfectly fine addition for large circulating collections, and is recommended for ages two to five. ( )
  Jessie_Bear | Nov 3, 2015 |
Richie’s Picks: GET OUT OF MY BATH! by Britta Teckentrup, Candlewick/Nosy Crow, August 2015, 24p., ISBN: 978-0-7636-8006-0

“Let’s take a bath, pretend we’re on a boat.
Here comes the big storm, we’ll never stay afloat!
Splash out the water, our lives are at stake!
Now we’re empty, but the bathroom is a lake.”
--Peter Alsop, “What d’ya Wanna Do?”

“Guten morgan, mein Herr. Konnen Sie nach ein tea haben? Ah, the filthy Englander, gootey morgee.”
--John Lennon, from the bathtub scene in “A Hard Day’s Night”

It has been a generation since I led daily circle times. But I still get excited when I discover a high-energy picture book that will make a great circle time read.

There are always some little kids who resist bathtime. Therefore, there are always some parents who are grateful for books, songs, and discussions that might encourage their kids to enjoy bathtime.

GET OUT OF MY BATH! is a book that serves both of these purposes.

It’s bathtime for an elephant named Ellie. She has her yellow rubber duckie accompanying her. We are going to get involved:

“It’s Ellie’s bath time.
Can you help her make some waves?
Gently shake the book from side to side, then turn the page to see what happens…”

We turn the page and see the results of our interaction. But, in turning succeeding pages, we discover an unexpected consequence: A crocodile has shown up in the bathtub! We are encouraged to shout, “Get out, Crocodile!” But things just get worse: First there is a flamingo in the tub. Next, a tiger jumps in. Then a mouse shows up. Our yelling and book shaking does nothing to make these animals go away. It requires Ellie using her words and then sucking all the bath water up into her trunk to persuade the animals to finally leave. At last, she can squirt the water back into the tub and continue on with her bath.

It’s a fun book that two-year-olds will want to participate in reading over and over. I’m just glad that I won’t be having to clean up after their baths tonight!

Richie Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.pbworks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
Moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/middle_school_lit/ ( )
  richiespicks | Jul 28, 2015 |

Ellie the elephant loves to have fun in the bath, but she’s not the only one. Her fun is interrupted when a crocodile decides to join her, followed by a flamingo, then a mouse and even a tiger! Poor Ellie’s bath is ruined. What can she do? She sucks all the water into her trunk, of course! Then she waits until all the uninvited animals have left before squirting it back. Finally she can enjoy her bath in peace! A beautifully designed, boldly illustrated picture book for the very young in which readers are encouraged to get involved in the story through tilting and shaking the book.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 22 Jul 2015 11:24:56 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible