Imitation in Death by J.D. Robb

Imitation in Death (2003)

by J.D. Robb

Series: In Death (17)

1,499None4,945 (4.05)26

Typical Eve-Roarke. If you are reading this book, you are committed to the series. Good, bad, or in-between. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
Great Great Great!! I can't wait till everyone i know gets on this series too!
  Bettyb30 | Jun 24, 2013 |
Another excellent mystery. A special treat for those that follow true crime - the killer imitates famous serial killers. ( )
  StefanieGeeks | Apr 11, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this one. The ending especially. I love this series and I am so thankful that I can listen to them in audiobook format because the narrator does such a marvelous job bringing the characters and story to life. ( )
  Barb_H | Apr 4, 2013 |
I loved this. And I'm so glad! Nora Roberts is smart and funny online, and it rather pained me that I couldn't stand the book of hers I picked up to try a couple of years ago. I really wanted to like her writing, and it turns out I do, if it's in my genre.

Great heroine, gripping mystery, interesting futuristic world, and likable supporting characters. I'm looking forward to devouring this series. ( )
  JetSilver | Mar 31, 2013 |

J.D. Robbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"No man ever yet became great by imitation."
Samuel Johnson
"And the Devil said to Simon Legree:'I like your style, so wicked and free.'"
Vachel Lindsay
Summer of 2059 was a mean and murderous bitch who showed no sign of lightening her mood.

'No matter how many times you looked at the horror man inflicted on man, you never saw it all. As Lieutenant Eve Dallas stood over what had once been a woman, she wondered when she would see worse than this...'

The summer of 2059 is drawing to a sweaty when man wearing a cape and a top hat approaches a prostitute on a dark New York City street. Minutes later, the woman is dead. A killer makes his debut with the slashing and mutilation of a prostitute. Left at the scene is a letter addressed to Lieutenant Eve Dallas, commending her work and inviting her to play his game... and unveil his identity. He signs it "Jack."

Now Eve is in pursuit of a murderer who knows as much about the history of serial killers as she does. He has studied the most notorious and the most vicious slayings in modem time, and he's paying homage to some of history's most vicious, and infamous, killers, beginning with Jack the Ripper. But he also wants to make his own mark. But who will he choose to emulate next? And will Eve be able to stop him before he decides to finish the game by coming after her?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425191583, Mass Market Paperback)

Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas encounters one of her most difficult cases in this latest offering from J. D. Robb, alter ego of bestselling author Nora Roberts. With the very first victim, Eve realizes that the killer stalking the streets of New York City isn't a run-of-the-mill serial murderer. The copycat executions are imitating the methods and victim choices of an ominous list of notorious serial killers, beginning with Jack the Ripper. And when the killer leaves a distinctive note at the crime scene, it's clear that he's targeting Eve personally--a fact that worries Roarke, Eve's shrewd husband.

Assisted by her aide, Peabody, Eve compiles a list of suspects that includes several high-profile possibilities. Their very prominence, however, complicates the investigation, for they have the power and influence to make the search difficult. All of the suspects are reluctant to cooperate but one of them is playing with Eve like a cat with a mouse by tempting her with crime scene notes and challenging her to find him. Can Eve stop him before he slaughters again? Or will his next victim be Eve herself?

Author Robb, a.k.a. Roberts, doesn't miss a beat in this police procedural thriller. The futuristic setting is rich with imaginative details; the cast of supporting characters offers an intriguing variety, while Eve and Roarke's relationship is layered with emotional intimacy and spiced with sex. Whether you're a faithful follower or new to the series, you won't be disappointed in the edge-of-the-seat suspense in Imitation In Death. Don't miss this one. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:05 -0400)

Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her husband Roarke embark on their latest investigation that once again places both of their lives in grave danger as a clever killer traps them in a deadly game.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible