Occupy Me by Tricia Sullivan

Occupy Me

by Tricia Sullivan

I picked this up in the fabulous London Lonely Planet bookstore. Sullivan was writing about a girl who has wings in an alternate reality. I write about a girl who has wings in an alternate reality. I felt quite unoriginal.
However, I’m relieved to see we’ve both followed our own divergent paths. Tricia Sullivan and I like similar music; she posted about a wonderful song featuring Elizabeth Fraser from the Cocteau Twins. But we do not think in a similar fashion.
Her writing emits from a fresh, intense place in her soul. The plot, such as it is, isn’t a surprise. People and entities battle for control of the universe. But there isn’t any contrivance in the unfolding of events, though there is coincidence. Conceptually, the novel is a lofty mixture of physics, which she is now studying, and poetry. I don’t always follow what Sullivan means, but I’m convinced she knows.
The story, described simply, is about an angel from another dimension, who is working for a group called The Resistance, which tries to make life better in small ways. But the Resistance aren’t who they seem to be, and Pearl, the angel, is an enigma in her own right, a huge, compassionate entity who doesn’t know her own origin.
The more you read about the main characters in this book, a doctor who is possessed by a murderous entity that may actually be trying to save the world, and an angel who was created out of “extinct animals and nano-libraries”, the less you actually know them. You can observe and anticipate their behavior, but understanding who is part of what is a complex and non-rational process.
This short excerpt can prepare you “I didn’t recognize myself. Never again the same. In my brain a thicket of dendrites were standing on end in dark and terrible welcome.”
Read it, and your dendrite will hop to attention as well.

AuthorGabrielle | May 28, 2017 |
Great concept, its definitely not a quick simple read, But with time to persevere its definitely worth a read. ( )
  OwenRochester | Mar 22, 2017 |
So glad Tricia Sullivan is back writing SF. Occupy Me fizzes with ideas, memorable characters (not just sort-of-angel Pearl: middle-aged vet Alison is just awesome)... and compassion. Plus I'll never look at briefcases in quite the same way again. ( )
  Bernadette877 | Feb 6, 2016 |
Good book. I've never read Tricia Sullivan before and am now likely to check out more of her work in the future. This particular novel was a little chaotic in places and veered into some strange areas, what with the inter-dimensional metaphysics; The dinosaur oil-ghosts; The evil corporate villains; The prehistoric creatures that manifest from a suitcase; Oh, and a middle-aged lesbian angel with invisible wings that blaze into substance in stressful situations... This is definitely not mundane science fiction!

Plot-wise, not everything made sense to me, but I enjoyed the characters, (even if their motivations were a bit unclear at times). I also enjoyed the interspersions of humour scattered throughout. The humour and pace made it easy to suspend disbelief and just go along turning pages. At the end, I found myself entertained more often than not and therefore give this a solid 7 out of 10 rating.

Recommended for fans of science fiction delivered in a bit of an experimental style.

(I received a copy of this title from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review) ( )
1 vote ScoLgo | Jan 15, 2016 |
Occupy Me is a tough one to encapsulate, but it’s clever and complex and forces you to think outside of your comfort zone. It’s a thriller, complete with international hijinks, corporate corruption and an evil megalomaniac. What it isn’t is a standard paranormal fantasy featuring angels—it’s much more compelling in its originality.
added by karenb | editTor.com, Mahvesh Murad (Mar 4, 2016)

Sullivan uses the tired tropes of paranormal fantasy and hi‑tech SF to explore ideas of morality and identity, and has produced a work of startling originality.
added by karenb | editThe Guardian, Eric Brown (Jan 15, 2016)

For the care-givers with their eleventy-billion kinds of strength and for anyone who is a long way from home
Warning: Internal gravity subject to change

A woman with wings that exist in another dimension. A man trapped in his own body by a killer. A briefcase that is a door to hell. A conspiracy that reaches beyond our world. An extraordinary, genre defining novel that begins with the mystery of a woman who barely knows herself and ends with a discovery that transcends space and time. On the way we follow our heroine as she attempts to track down a killer in the body of another man, and the man who has been taken over, his will trapped inside the mind of the being that has taken him over. And at the centre of it all a briefcase that contains countless possible realities.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,411,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible