Occupy Me by Tricia Sullivan

Occupy Me (edition 2017)

by Tricia Sullivan (Author)

Member:paulmorriss
Title:Occupy Me
Authors:Tricia Sullivan (Author)
Info:Gollancz (2017), 272 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Occupy Me by Tricia Sullivan

a psychedelic adventure story that starts with a briefcase and maintains a manic pace, owes a lot to chaos theory, extends from the beginning of time to the far future, involves a lot of tinkering with creation by a lot of entities who really shouldn't, and is told in a mixture of first, second, and third person voice. it's not what you'd call a shallow read, if that's what you look for, but it has some great characters, a lot of riotously original ideas, and i kind of loved it. you might compare it to Charles Stross's Laundry Files, or Rudy Rucker's Ware series, but it's really its own thing. rave on, Tricia Sullivan. ( )
  macha | May 16, 2019 |

I picked this up in the fabulous London Lonely Planet bookstore. Sullivan was writing about a girl who has wings in an alternate reality. I write about a girl who has wings in an alternate reality. I felt quite unoriginal.
However, I’m relieved to see we’ve both followed our own divergent paths. Tricia Sullivan and I like similar music; she posted about a wonderful song featuring Elizabeth Fraser from the Cocteau Twins. But we do not think in a similar fashion.
Her writing emits from a fresh, intense place in her soul. The plot, such as it is, isn’t a surprise. People and entities battle for control of the universe. But there isn’t any contrivance in the unfolding of events, though there is coincidence. Conceptually, the novel is a lofty mixture of physics, which she is now studying, and poetry. I don’t always follow what Sullivan means, but I’m convinced she knows.
The story, described simply, is about an angel from another dimension, who is working for a group called The Resistance, which tries to make life better in small ways. But the Resistance aren’t who they seem to be, and Pearl, the angel, is an enigma in her own right, a huge, compassionate entity who doesn’t know her own origin.
The more you read about the main characters in this book, a doctor who is possessed by a murderous entity that may actually be trying to save the world, and an angel who was created out of “extinct animals and nano-libraries”, the less you actually know them. You can observe and anticipate their behavior, but understanding who is part of what is a complex and non-rational process.
This short excerpt can prepare you “I didn’t recognize myself. Never again the same. In my brain a thicket of dendrites were standing on end in dark and terrible welcome.”
Read it, and your dendrite will hop to attention as well.

AuthorGabrielle | May 28, 2017 |
Great concept, its definitely not a quick simple read, But with time to persevere its definitely worth a read. ( )
  OwenRochester | Mar 22, 2017 |
So glad Tricia Sullivan is back writing SF. Occupy Me fizzes with ideas, memorable characters (not just sort-of-angel Pearl: middle-aged vet Alison is just awesome)... and compassion. Plus I'll never look at briefcases in quite the same way again. ( )
  Bernadette877 | Feb 6, 2016 |
Occupy Me is a tough one to encapsulate, but it’s clever and complex and forces you to think outside of your comfort zone. It’s a thriller, complete with international hijinks, corporate corruption and an evil megalomaniac. What it isn’t is a standard paranormal fantasy featuring angels—it’s much more compelling in its originality.
added by karenb | editTor.com, Mahvesh Murad (Mar 4, 2016)

Sullivan uses the tired tropes of paranormal fantasy and hi‑tech SF to explore ideas of morality and identity, and has produced a work of startling originality.
added by karenb | editThe Guardian, Eric Brown (Jan 15, 2016)

For the care-givers with their eleventy-billion kinds of strength and for anyone who is a long way from home
Warning: Internal gravity subject to change

A woman with wings that exist in another dimension. A man trapped in his own body by a killer. A briefcase that is a door to hell. A conspiracy that reaches beyond our world. An extraordinary, genre defining novel that begins with the mystery of a woman who barely knows herself and ends with a discovery that transcends space and time. On the way we follow our heroine as she attempts to track down a killer in the body of another man, and the man who has been taken over, his will trapped inside the mind of the being that has taken him over. And at the centre of it all a briefcase that contains countless possible realities.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,109,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible